Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2001 12:10:54 AM EDT
I just recently shot my friends kel tec (kpt 10-11 i think usually id know this ) i liked the gun alot. Alot more than i thought i would itits a 9mm about the size of the smallesr Glock. I just like the size of thr gun. what other hand guns are reliable and about the same size? ill probly end up with a Glock exspeshally since since it its such a superb handgun and i can get hi caps for it . What do you think? is there much differance in the size of the glocks in 9mm and 40cal. ? What about recoil?
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 2:19:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Glock and a Kel-Tec... I love them both!  My husband and his Buddies are embarassed about my lil ol' Kel-Tec.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 5:53:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Kel-Tecs are small and work most of the time but I would never have the confidence in one that I would have in a Glock.  Two different friends of mine had to send their Kel-Tec 9mms back to the factory.  Another guy has had no significant problems but doesn't have a lot of miles on the gun either.  If you want a defense gun that *will* go "bang" when you most need it to, buy the Glock.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 5:55:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh yeah, 9mm and .40 Glocks are the same size, although mag cap is down one or two rounds depending on which size Glock you are looking at (17 v. 22, 19 v. 23, 26 v. 27).  .40s recoil more but are very manageable, but you'll have to try that out for yourself.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#4]
If Glock made a palm-sized .32 I would have one, but until they do my little Kel-Tec will be in my pocket.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 2:07:35 PM EDT
[#5]
The Glock 26/27/33 (9mm/.40/.357) series are pretty darned compact.  If you are going to carry either the Kel-Tec or Glock concealed, you'll find that the most crucial feature concerning concealability is grip length, not slide/frame width.  The grip is the part that will "print" if you're carrying.  For this reason I've never thought the Kel-Tec having any advantages over the baby Glocks, aside from maybe the .32 ACP Kel-Tec (as pointed out by Rabbit9).  I don't have much confidence in the .32 ACP round though.  As for recoil, the 27 and 33 will recoil more than the 26, but not a whole lot more.

You can't go wrong with any of the Glocks, but for CCW the 26/27/33 series are the best.  Plus, you can always use the pre-ban standard capacity magazines for any given caliber, i.e. G17/19 mag in the G26, G22/23 mag in the G27, and most people have good luck with the G22/23 mags in the G33.

And yes, Glocks will go "bang" each and every time you pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Glock vs Kel-tec?
Why even ask?
For a pocket gun, spend the extra money and get a NAA Gaurdian .380, better made gun!
For concealed carry, get the Glock! 9mm is more accurate than .40.(For me anyway) Personally I prefer the 23 to the 27 becauser the Grip lengths are the same once you add the much needed pinky extendor to the 27's magazine. Same way with 19/26...
might as well add the half inch of barrel and get more accuracy than the baby size.
-Chuck
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 12:20:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Not trying to be sarcastic but, there is no comparing a Glock to a K-tek if your life is what's at stake. Glock hands down. I bought the 27 first, then came accross a 23. As stated above, the 23 has the better feel and grip, but I carry the 27 in my pocket or inside the waist. I would put my life on the line in Miami with the tek Love My G27, 23, 22, 30. Looking forward to my G35 next year. You can see I like .40's too.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 3:30:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I carry the P-11, and have the P32.  I have fired more rounds than I can count and have no failures or problems with either.
I don't like the Glocks because of the shape of the gun.  It just dosen't sit comfortably in my hand. If you are not comfortable with the grip [of any gun] you will never shooot well with it and your confidence level will be down.
I personally don't like it.  That does not mean its bad...just not for me.
I trust my Keltec, and I like the longer, heavier trigger pull.  In a high stress situation it is less likely to 'go off' accidentally if you have gotten to the point of pointing it at your target and putting your finger on the trigger.
I think the P-11 conceass a little better...it's a bit thinner.
The Kelhec will eat any ammo any time.  The Glock has a million warnings about which ammo to use or you lose your warranty.
The Keltec takes S&W 59 & 69 series hi-cap mags.
It's 1/2 the price.  There are more P11's out there than you think.  It also got a great write-up recently in one of the major gun magazines.
The service from Keltec is great!
ps: The P32 will definitely kill at 5-7 feet...the range it was designed for.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 4:12:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:53:44 AM EDT
[#10]
It's kind of like comparing a Geo to a Corvette! They will both get you there, but's that's about all you can compare. By the way I am not a big fan of Glock. S&W factory hi-caps will work and can be had for around 30.00.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I own both a Glock 26 and a Kel Tec P-32 and I think they're BOTH great.  However, everyone is saying the same thing and for good reason.

The glock is a highly concealable, field-proven favorite with a variety of calibers.  The Kel Tec is very very concealable, and for it's designed use (5-7 feet) it's a good piece.

When I carry concealed piece, I usually tuck the glock 26 in a holster or the jeans, if I'm walking the ol' lady round the mall I'll slip the Kel Tec into one of the million places you can stick it (nothing x-rated).  Can deny the Kel Tec's ability to disappear.

You can also debate the round used...ie 9mm vs 32, etc etc etc...

Whether it's a Desert Eagle 50AE or pepper spray or a big wooden stick, what's important is that you know how to use it.  Good luck to you!!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Everytime someone wants info on "brand-x" pistol, they say "brand-x or Glock?" ( Kel-Tec or Glock? HS2000 or Glock? Springfield XD or Glock? CZ or Glock? )  Do you see a pattern here??

BUY A GLOCK. It is the standard by which everyhting else is measured. You don't acheive that status unless you are producing a superior product.

Link Posted: 1/16/2002 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry Ridge_runner you will not get a satisfactory answer to this question.

There area certain group of people that assume everyone has the needs of law-enforcement-types, and will spend freely their life savings in pursuit of the mythical "best."  They will use arguments like "How much is your life worth?"  They don't seem to understand that though your life is infinitely precious to you, you only have so much cash in your pocket, and the likelyhood that you will be in a life-or-death situation is miniscule.

If you have $500 bucks to spend, definitely buy a Glock, if only so that you don't have to put up with their demeaning comments if you end-up shooting something less expensive.

If you don't live or travel in a bad neighborhood, you're not a drug dealer or law-enforcement officer, and you can't spend more than $250, get the KelTec.  I have put +1,800 rnds through mine with never a failure to feed or extract.  The early ones had problems, and the Glock snobs have never let anyone forget them.

Again, if you are thin-skinned and will be unhappy with people implying that you're not a real human being because you shoot a KelTec, then stretch that credit card and get the Glock.

For more information, go to www.ktog.org

You have been warned.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Also see: www.kel-tec.com/

Some of the replies above confuse the P-32 and the P-11.  From your post, I think you fired the P-11.  Ignore the comments about "5 to 7 feet," they are writing about .32 caliber in the P-32, which is a super tiny pocket gun.  I own a P-11.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 1:01:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I own both, so I feel I'm qualified to answer this question.

First off, there is no doubt that a Glock is the better weapon. It functions smoother, more accurate and it has a better trigger.

However, I've never had any real problems with my P11. It is great for a little carry weapon and is easier to conceal than a Glock. I've never had my KelTec fail to go bang and I have complete confidence in it, or else I wouldn't use it as a carry weapon.

My opinion is to get both of them, but if you can only afford one, I would go for the Glock.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I had one of the early P11's and carried it for a while.  There are a lot of accessories you can get for it that help with shooting & carrying it.  But I could never get over that awful trigger and after a couple hundred rounds, the slide & barrel began galling against each other.   I finally sold it a while back and do not miss it.

I like the Glocks and own three currently, but they do not even begin to conceal as well as the KelTec.  

I think the answer to the question "Glock or KelTec" is "neither... get a Kahr!"  

The Kahr combines the compact size of the KelTec with the shootability and quality of the Glock.  And the price falls nicely between the two as well.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#17]
If I had to choose...definitely the glock. There is a reason they have a "fluff n buff" section in the Keltec forums, that's because so many owners have problems with them initially.

My two range experiences with a Kel Tec P32 were dissapointing. The first time I fired it the mag release spring fell out and I had numerous failure to extract problems. The second time to the range, again numerous failure to extract problems about once every 10th round. This was after the fluff n buff treatment. Needless to say it was unacceptable for a serious defense pistol.

To all you owners of Keltec P32's that have one that works perfect, I'm glad for ya! It's a super light weapon to carry. For those of you who have only put a mag or two through..do a more thorough check of the weapon. Your life is at stake when you need it!

As to the size differences, 9mm and .40 cals are the same size. G19(9mm) is the same size as the G27(.40). G26(9mm) is the same size as the G27(.40).

I personally carry a G30(.45), but will all the Glocks I have ever owned, I have never had a problem with them. The Kel Tec was a true heartbreak for me because I liked the little pistol so much.

Good Shooting
RED
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Best of both guns combined into one.
Over 800 rounds, never any problems with feeding or extracting.
Kahr P40 Covert 5+1 flush mag. IIRC 17oz
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Best of both guns combined into one.
Over 800 rounds, never any problems with feeding or extracting.
Kahr P40 Covert 5+1 flush mag. IIRC 17oz

Get YO finger off dat trigga!
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:07:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Ya beat me to it, Wolfpack

-Gloftoe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top