Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2001 1:39:12 PM EDT

just got my upper this week and shot 70 rds with no problems.  not even with a bm 10rd frankenmag.  only problem i had was when the guy next to me said "i've had enough of this" and promptly got up and left..i apologized and offered to move but he didn't even look at me.  the next guy that came along was picking up my brass so he could reload it.  anyway i'm happy with the new SUR.  just wondering if i should clean the barrel or wait til next week/or wed when i shoot it again..
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 2:26:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#2]
no muzzle break, but i think i hit him with some brass...not much though..i wasn't rapid firing either.  i think he's just a old crabby guy and i was a 'kid' with an 'assault rifle'.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 3:23:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Were you standing or bench fireing? Most AR's I see toss there empties at about 5 o'clock behind the shooter.  Where where you're landing?

If you are bench shooting and are worrying about hitting people with brass, just set up an ammo can/rangebox/empty cardboard box, next to you.  It'll hit the box and land by you.  Be careful not to be too close and definitely wear eye protection, because the brass will be hot.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 7:05:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Was there a RangeMaster on duty?

If he didn't help you with lane assignment to put you up where brass wouldn't bother another patron, then next time set yourself up somewhere this situation won't become a problem for you again or communicate the possibility to people around you.

A brass catcher is another idea.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 12:19:12 AM EDT
[#5]

yeah i felt kind of bad for the guy but i think his reaction was a little overblown..most of the brass was landing by my right boot.  i was shooting from the bench.  everyone that goes there usually is really friendly with a few exceptions.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 5:48:43 AM EDT
[#6]
He probably didn't like your evil black rifle. Your words would have been wasted on him.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 5:56:51 AM EDT
[#7]
This thread makes me really think about muzzle brakes. The first time I took the AR to a range I was bench shooting. The guy to my left had an L1A1 with a muzzle brake and when he would fire I would really jump. I couldn't figure out why so loud, I could feel the concussion then the brass would hit me. I have a 91 in 308 and it's not this loud, But no brake has suppressor. All this just occured to me.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:41:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Getting hit with brass is pretty obnoxious when you are concentrating on lining up a shot.  I usually put a target frame up between my self and the shooter to my right.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't mind getting hit with brass. as long as it doesn't go down my shirt. OUCH.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 9:03:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I don't mind getting hit with brass. as long as it doesn't go down my shirt. OUCH.

I agree. If you are part of the shooting brotherhood then it is to be expected and appreciated. I am glad that I still have the rights to feel hot brass flying all around me.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 11:10:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Better brass than lead. ;)
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 3:09:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
He probably didn't like your evil black rifle. Your words would have been wasted on him.

Not if your words were: "KISS MY ASS IN THE CRACK"
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#13]

I couldn't figure out why so loud, I could feel the concussion then the brass would hit me. I have a 91 in 308 and it's not this loud
Ah, yes... but the guy 10 lanes down from you would like to talk to you about your brass pelting him.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:28:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Screw Em !!! It's a shooting range damit, not a library. [-!-]  
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Inferno715, I think offering to move was very polite and considerate of you. The first time I took my AR to the range it never occurred to me I would be throwing brass. Fortunately they have a very good range master. He was sharp enough to spot me as a first time AR shooter. We placed a stool next to my bench to block the brass. I try to get into the right most bench at the range. Most of the guys there shoot a bolt and are not used to brass with wings. I really need to get one of those brass catcher bags but $40 for a cloth bag with Velcro straps on it seems like a rip off. It's never too much trouble to be considerate of my fellow shooters. Besides the AR has enough of a bad boy "you don't really need one of those" images as it is.

Too bad the guy who said he'd had enough thought you brassed him on purpose.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 10:44:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Personally, I think AR's are the most people friendly when they toss brass.  Most shoot the behind you at 5 o'clock (I know, I said that already) AK's are annoying because I know mine shoots as far a 5 points directly to my right.  I usually set up 2 50 cal ammo cans on the bench to try and deflect them, and/or I shoot kneeling.  10/22's are REALLY annoying because for the most part, people shoot them faster so you get rained on by brass.  (Plus they're small and more likely to end up down your shirt.)  I'll never forget the jig this one guy wearing a polo shirt did.  The collar made a perfect basket at the back of his neck for 2 freshly fired brass casings from a 10/22 to end up down the poor guys shirt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top