Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
3/20/2017 5:03:23 PM
Posted: 12/1/2001 7:01:51 AM EDT
Kahr purchased Auto Ordinance sometime ago. I know Kahr makes an execellent gun and in fact manufactures machinery used in the building of firearms.
I am considering purchasing an Auto Ordinance 45 but I wanted some feedback from anyone who might have handled one of the new 45's. Also on the current prices.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 7:30:32 AM EDT
Hard to believe no one here has some info.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:01:03 AM EDT
well, this is AR15.com. It's probably just whoever DOES know, hasn't been online to read your post yet. Patience, Grasshoppa.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 11:31:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2001 11:24:05 AM EDT by arbob]
Nick,
I`ve heard and read good things about the Auto ordinance .45s. Haven`t actually seen one myself. You may want to repost this on the handguns weaponsforum. Just click on the sites tab and it will give you the link. There are a growing # of 1911 aficiondos over there. HTH
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 12:24:31 PM EDT
I own an Auto Ordnance 1911. It's fine if you feed it decent quality ball ammo, you will have problems with anything else. A little polishing and throating are in order if you want to use it for anything else. Fit & finish are good. I'd buy another one.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 6:52:38 PM EDT
Regarding prices:

A few months ago my local gun shop had both the Auto Ordnance and Springfield Armory mil-spec pistols in stock. The price was exactly the same -- about $500, I think.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:14:56 PM EDT
I have an Auto Ordinance Frame with a Colt 1911 slide and Wilson Combat barrel and small parts.

I really like it and it will feed anything you want to put into it..cheap surplus, ball, hollow points..anything!

I guess this is really a Franken45, but hey...it has still got AO parts in it.

medcop
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:33:46 AM EDT
It's my understanding that since Kahr took
over the company, the production quality
control has gotten better. I also believe
that Kahr was founded by the Rev. Moon, or he
had something to do with it. John
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:09:41 AM EDT
Justin Moon is the son of Rev. Sun Myung Moon. Justin is still an active member of the Unification Church. Whether he fronts as ownership of Kahr/Auto Ordinance or "donates" to the Unification Church from the company is immaterial. Buy a Kahr or an Auto Ordinance and you are supporting the Moonies. It is up to you to decide whether or not that is undesirable.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:30:21 AM EDT
I've had 5 AO 45s over the years and have loved each one. Don't know of the newer ones though. Each one needed a little fine tuning but otherwise shot great. I still have a very customized full size and a Pit Bull ZG-51 that I machined a 2pc guide rod for and parkerized the control bits. Shoots great.

Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:57:44 AM EDT
The "new" post-Kahr AO's are said to be a step above their previous quality level. If you could find one for $350 or so, go for it.

At anything like $500 or so, go with the Springfield. I didn't like the one Springfield Champion I once owned, but it wasn't because it wasn't a well-made gun.
Top Top