Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2001 2:41:02 PM EDT
Anyone have any advice on which .22 lr dedicated upper is the best for the buck?  I would like to use it as a training aid for highpower.

Thanks,
Dave
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 4:04:40 PM EDT
[#2]
raf, by "dedicated upper", Shootin_Dave means uppers designed specifically for shooting 22LR with accuracy and not just putting a conversion kit in an upper chambered for .223.

Shootin_Dave, Accuracy Speaks produces some pretty good units that will provide the kind of accuracy you need for serious High Power practice.

They make both "Service" and "Match" models.  Be ready to feel the pain in your wallet!

www.accuracyspeaks.com/22lrar15.htm

DaMan

Edited to get Accuracy Speaks address corrected  
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Dave:

I can't talk about the CLE unit, but if you post on the competition board, I believe one of the regulars has one.

I have the AS unit, and Derrick did a good job.  You'll need to find ammo it likes and will work with, but all of the standard velocity stuff works fine.  Federal and Remington high velocity stuff did not work reliably in mine.

With RWS Target, mine will occasionally clean the 50 foot A36 target (with a .5mm ten-ring, IIRC).  NO, it doesn't shoot as well as an Anschutz match rifle, but it does provide valuable feedback for a fraction of the full-strength price.

HTH.....SRM

Edited to say.....Welcome to the Boards
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's mine, accurate and quiet:
- SGW-OLY pre-ban lower with Jewell trigger
- Accuracy Speaks upper (cut down to 12")
- Ciener 22LR conversion
- Gemtech Hornet suppressor
- Trijicon ACOG TA50-4
- Hogue grip
- Colt M4 handguards
- CAR stock
- MWS/GGG sling-support
- KKF Ciener magazine conversion

albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=258760&a=12559875&p=52238257

Runs good on my M16, too.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 6:26:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Kuehl Precision Firearms dedicated .22LR upper and I like it a lot.  It is very accurate, having a proper 1:16" twist.

Overall appearance is superb and the special 10" length that I ordered looks very nice on my M-16.
See it at :
http://community.webshots.com/user/pc3csmg1

Rick Kuehl is a great guy and he makes a great product.  
His website is :
http://www.kuehlprecisionfirearms.com/
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have a Kuehl Precision Firearms dedicated .22LR upper and I like it a lot.  It is very accurate, having a proper 1:16" twist.

Overall appearance is superb and the special 10" length that I ordered looks very nice on my M-16.

Rick Kuehl is a great guy and he makes a great product.

His website is :
www.kuehlprecisionfirearms.com/

Allow me to say Welcome to the Boards

I also activated your link

SRM
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 4:34:10 AM EDT
[#8]
You might want to check out Kurts Kustom Firearms.  I have one of his dedicated 22 uppers and am very impressed with it.  You can find a link to Kurts web site in the Industry Forums section at the bottom.

Good luck!

Brad
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:31:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Dave-
I bought a CLE 22RF upper this fall, and have been having a lot of fun practicing with it. Mine is in service rifle configuration, with a float tube so I can sling up with it, and has 1/4 min. sights. Its Douglas SS 1~16 twist barrel is a tackdriver, even at 100yds. with Eley Match Xtra ammo. At 50yds, I use much less expensive($112/5M+freight)Aguila SE that John Feamster wrote about in the Nov. issue of Precision Shooting. My upper doesn't shoot it nearly as good as John's AS upper does, but RF barrels can be very picky about what ammo they like. Mine does shoot very well with SK Std. Plus, which runs $180/5M. I really like being able to shoot as many RF sitting & prone strings as I want without burning up a valuable Krieger match barrel, and it's also great for offhand practice. Frank supplies RF uppers with a modified M261 conversion unit, two magazines, and a neat single loading device that makes it easy to practice prone SF. I called to ask about getting one on a Friday, and because they had one ready to go, I received it on the following Friday. Price isn't cheap, at $950, but it beats the Victor Arms V22 I had before. Firearms International has parts for the M261 unit, and Frank is working towards getting a supply of spare magazines manufactured.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 7:18:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You might want to check out Kurts Kustom Firearms.  I have one of his dedicated 22 uppers and am very impressed with it.  You can find a link to Kurts web site in the Industry Forums section at the bottom.

Good luck!

Brad

I'll second the nomination of Kurt's Kustom's .22LR uppers.  I had the pleasure of handling one of his M4orgery .22LR uppers.  Looked very nice and shot like a match rifle.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 8:22:25 AM EDT
[#11]
As an aside....  I have read that most 22 LR uppers are most accurate at 16-inches or perhaps shorter.  I wanted to build a 20-inch 22 LR clone to my CLE DCM upper but obviously not if the accuracy will be that much different!

I had considered building a dissipator style 22 LR upper for the same feel and sights but the shorter barrel which I have read is more accurate.  The trick then will be getting enough weight to make the two uppers feel similar....

Any oppinions?
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 9:17:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Since you asked for opinions, I guess I'm qualified

IMHO, the vast majority of us won't be able to tell the difference between the 20 and the 16, accuracy wise, especially in standing and the rapidfire stages.  Yes, a match rifle will be more accurate in a slow prone duplication, but you can still get valuable feedback.  It is hard to duplicate the AR dimensions for practice, even with a top of the line match rifle.

What I did was to wait until my service rifle needed a barrel.  Then I bought a new upper and sent the old one off to be converted to a .22 dedicated upper.

HTH.....SRM
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 9:18:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 9:49:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
For additional forward weight, consider a free-float tube and/or lead weights which stick to the inside of the handguards.  For rear weight, a lead ingot, shaped to fit the compartment in the buttstock is available.  Between these alternatives, you ought to be able to achieve the overall weight and balance you desire.

Well this is my problem!!!  My DCM rifle has the DCM weight barrel, FF tube, and the stock wedge and cuffs!  To get a 22 LR upper to match this feel is the trick as most 22 LR uppers are not this heavy.  Too be honest, I am not sure what my DCM rifle weighs but it is well over 10-pounds....

The stock wedge isn't the issue....  I am curious if anybody has been able to get a 22 LR upper to feel like a true DCM 223 upper?

p.s.  My DCM Rifle is a Colt Pre-Ban with a 20-inch 1:8 Blackstar Barrel, 1/4 MOA rear sight, small front post, NM FF tube, Jewell 2-stage trigger, plus the extra lead....

Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top