Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2001 12:25:38 PM EDT
Anyone got an opinion on the Smith&Wesson/Walther SW99 pistol?  I am considering one in .40.  I have avoided S&W in the past, because I didn't like the ergonomics, then because of their politics.  Reportedly they are back on our side now.  I looked at a SW99, and really liked the feel of it.
Thanks,
AIRBORNE
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#1]
If you get that design of pistol, go for the Walther P99. The S&W 99 had some quality control issues. The NJ State Police had to ship all of theirs back to S&W cause a bunch of them broke (I heard this over at the 1911 forum).

In all honesty, it may shoot ok (I've shot the P99 by Walther). However, I'm skeptical of it's durability, etc. If I were you, I'd wait for the H&K P2000. It utilizes the same replaceable ergonomic grip but has the design of the USP, which we all know if king when it comes to durability and reliability.

themao
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I've owned a Walther P99 in 40S&W (traded it and am still sorry I did) and I currently own a P99 in 9mm.  Both guns are excellent shooters...
I've got about 12,000 rounds througn my 9mm and it is going like a champ...
Both guns were/are extremely accurate and easy to shoot
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The ones I looked at had the walther logo on them, but the tag said S&W.  The dealer said that they are made by walther, and imported by smith. Is this true?  When does the H&K P2000 arrive, and how much $$$?
BTW the ones I looked at were in 9mm., but He said he could get it in .40 if I wanted it.
Thanks again.
AIRBORNE
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I think that S&W makes their own slides and some internal parts. The frames are what is imported from Walther....I THINK. Don't hold me to that.

The P2000 should be out some time next year from what I've heard. It'll probably be aroun $600-700.

From my view, if you intend to use it as a personal defense weapon and you can control the .40 round reasonably, .40 would be the way to go thanks to the Brady law. Just my personal preference.

themao
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 7:18:55 PM EDT
[#5]
SW99 is a cheap, poor performing, copy of the Walther P99.  SW did actually make some slides for Walther, and Walther fans have reported numerous problems.  If you like the look and feel, find the real Walther WITHOUT the SW slide.  Visit thefiringline.com semiauto forum and there are many many threads about this exact topic.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 7:45:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I owned a SW-99 in 40cal.The ergonomics were great and I fired 500 rds without a hitch but I sold it to buy a 1911.The 40cal was a bit too snappy for me and nothing fits your hands like a 1911 :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top