Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2001 7:17:20 PM EDT
Anyone have experience w/the company selling the High Standard pistols out of Houston Texas?
The company is called Firearms International.

Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Formerly High Standard Inc ? The more current ones are suppose to be okay, Me and 4 guys on our pistol team bought Victors when they first started in 96-97. All were close in serial # but no 2 were the same !! Mine made 3 trips back to Texas for repairs to get it working, it shoots great now and I've put 15 k rounds thru it. At the time I could have bought a nice Hamden Victor for less than the TX ones cost us..... Tan
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Thnx for the info.

Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:38:48 AM EDT
[#3]
www.highstandard.com

Much discussed on the bullseye list, as HS used to rule bullseye.  No real consensus.  Some love 'em, some hate 'em.  I still shoot an older one from Hartford.  I guess that's a middle aged one, Hamden being the oldest.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:15:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I've had my Victor since the mid 80's, and love it. Very accurate & reliable, with a nice trigger. The only thing I've bought from FI was a bag full of spare parts for the M261 RF conversion unit in my CLE 22RF upper. They have all the parts, but no magazines. I got a couple of spare firing pins & some springs at a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:51:07 AM EDT
[#5]
High Standard .22 pistols have been around for like 70 years or so.  They have a cult of true believers.

Over the years High Standards have been built in three or more plant locations.  The earlier production seems to enjoy the best reputation.  I have a East Hartford, Connecticut-built Sharpshooter.  It's factory stock and a sweet shooting target pistol.  The Lovely Bride likes it more than our Smith Model 41 Clark conversion.

Houston products have not enjoyed a solid reputation as the earlier ones did.  I've heard and read they have quality issues.

*Edited to mention that Sharpshooter is the first firearm I ever bought.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 8:24:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Not to sound stupid but is this the same high standard that once upon a time made bullpup shotguns witht the molded in flashlight?
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, the High Standard 10-A and 10-B bullpup police shotguns.  These were originaly Police only, until just before HS folded, when they were sold to the public.

These looked cool, but were heavy, somewhat clumsy, and not at all reliable.  They HAD to be used with Magnum ammo, and still had reliability issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top