[#1]
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:38:10 PM EDT
[#2]
No, its for reliable feeding.
GG
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Jander100,

Exactly how old are you??  Your topics/posts  reflect a deap void of firearm knowledge.

sgtar15
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 2:59:25 AM EDT
[#4]
You have to go back about 100 years and read the history of the "exposed-tip" bullet.  The name Dum-Dum came from an arsenal in India, if my memory is correct, and became the term for soft point bullets.  The British discovered that FMJs would pass through the natives and the natives would run them through with their spears.  When they began using "dum-dums" more of the enemy dropped with one shot.  Despite world opinion, Britian refused to stop using dum-dums until after the hostilities ended.

Eddie
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 3:55:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Sgtar15, I make Jander100 to be about 15, maybe 16 yrs. old...a little too young [IMHO] for these conversations.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 5:12:36 AM EDT
[#6]
The "F" Bomb should be dropping anytime now.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 8:57:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm 31 year's old dude, "I shit you not". Although I do have, as you say, "a deap void of firearm knowledge". So I appreciate every bit of knowledge I get from you guy's?
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I have no first hand expierence with this, but i do recall reading in Black Hawk Down some of the delta guys were not happy with the performance of the .223's from the CAR. They were getting 'passthrus' on the samies who just kept coming. granted this was most likely caused by the very close quaters or that fact that the samies were very "cranked" up on what ever that stuff they chewed.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 11:26:49 AM EDT
[#9]
thats when you go for head shots!
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
the samies were very "cranked" up on what ever that stuff they chewed.

"Khat"
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe this will help:
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/007/PI/u2/bI/4u34991.jpg

The Geneva Convention felt that it was too inhumane to kill with a hollow point.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 1:38:57 PM EDT
[#12]
exactly my man the Geneva Convention.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Read up guys, it was the Hague convention where the use of hollow point or similar bullets was prohibited, 29th if July 1899. This only concerns warfare between nations, for domestic operations  countries can use what ever they want, also for CT operations the hollow point projectiles are allowerd.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I didn't make any mention of your knowledge, just your age. I think you're a little shy on both. The lack of knowledge is fine, the lack of years is not...at least to me.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#15]
jander, if you maintain an average monthly post count of 200, you will be an expert in no time.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 3:40:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Jander,
How hard do you think it might be to make a head shot in the dark at some spun out(khat) thug militiaman who has you outnumbered 100 to 1 and is also intent on shooting your ass?

1*
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#17]
The question is how easy, I just aim.
GG
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I deaply resent that comment about age I bought my first ar when I was 14(honest). and even paid for it my self. I am currently 16 and have paid for my second already. youth is the next generation of shooters. I however am a jrotc captain and am held to a slightly higher standard than most, and am consequently more responsible than most. lghten up on the youth bashing a bit. plus remeber we are all in the fight to keep our guns together, it doesn't help to hastly other shooters reguardless of knowledge or age
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 4:25:12 PM EDT
[#19]
royce, your a wrong mad old dude, and when I say that I mean someone with as much knowledge as you must be mad old.

And as far as your Q seb127, it would be hard shure, but it would be easier to die.

Link Posted: 11/28/2001 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I belive age is not a factor as it relates to intelligence or potential, BUT, I will say this.  I am 29 now, and I belive I was a freaking dumbass at 18 as it related to my ideals, thoughts, maturity and theorys.  I have a sneaky suspicion that at 50 I might make a similar statement as it relates to my current age.  I find I can no longer relate to what interests most 18 year old's, even though I know I am relatively young in the whole skeem of things.  Any persons senior to me have any insight?

Art in KY
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#21]
1. Judge by merit, not by age. ( I wouldn't comapre me as a 21 year old Marine Sgt with a 21 year old college student)

2.  The most important lessons in life come after we already know everything!
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I have no first hand expierence with this, but i do recall reading in Black Hawk Down some of the delta guys were not happy with the performance of the .223's from the CAR. They were getting 'passthrus' on the samies who just kept coming. granted this was most likely caused by the very close quaters or that fact that the samies were very "cranked" up on what ever that stuff they chewed.

Maybe the "pass throughs" were actually misses?  It can happen in a high intensity, adrenaline surged conflict.  

I only say this because if you shoot a "skinny" with a 5.56, he is seriously effected.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, they were shooting "skinnies", not sumo wrestlers.  Seems pass-thru could be likely.  Also, I recall from the book the Sammies going down, then getting up and hobbling off.  They obviously got hit, just not hard enough.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#24]
On the historical side, it was meant for non violent wounds on the battlefield.  The Boer war was responisble for bring the humanization of warfare on the table. What happen is that the exposed lead cores that the Boers were using. It had a devatasting effect on the British troops and morale.  the Hague accords is the first attempt to set standards for fairplay in warfare.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Since age seems to matter on this one, Let me preface my remarks by saying that I am so old that I have trouble remembering my age!! --- I can varify that damage done to bodies with FMJ ammo is beyond even Hollywood. ---- You will also need to figure penatration into your equation.---------I have seen 7.62x51 rounds out of a 60 go thru block walls, wood posts, and into a variety of hiding places to get the bad guys.----We won't even talk about the .50 cal.----------Keep your dum dum's and soft points----you got to get thru to the target to kill it and FMJ will do me just fine.--------Just my $.02--------ALLONS11
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 11:00:26 PM EDT
[#26]

the Hague accords is the first attempt to set standards for fairplay in warfare.

This would probably be one of the first instances of PC in war.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 4:01:46 AM EDT
[#27]
ah1Z, should I, & others of my age, be insulted by the term 'old dude'?  No, because it comes from the mouth of ignorance & inexperience. You seem to be a very bright young man so please note that age becomes a factor when necesary.  As a jrotc with fireamrs experience , would you put your weapon into the hands of one of your classmates (age 16) who seems obsessed with A)Finding ammo online, B)gathering info on kill stats vs. wound stats for different ammo, and C)head shots & getting killed?  Add to that a claim of ownership of an AR for some time yet zero knowledge of the gun, it function, its use and/or its supplies.  Now add to that a trail of posts whose content is either a quote from somewhere else, or no statement at all.
Now factor in that our [mine & YOUR] gun rights are based on our [mine & YOUR] good sense to police ourselves.  If we [YOU & me] are found to be contributing to the instruction on killing quickly and obtaining the tools to do so with a minor online, then this site will be gone in a heartbeat.
If you think we are not under the microscope here, your are nieve.  There are those here that will type out lists of foul words about me or that idea, but I live in the real world, and in the real world there are consequences for your actions, as I am sure you aware of as a leader of others.  A leader lives by his/her gut feelings [based on experience, which is based on years] and my gut feeling is that this guy is wrong.
If I am wrong then so be it.  I never apologize for following my instincts.  They have saved my life [as well as many others] on too many occasions.  
You, & others like you (ages 14-16), are the exception, not the rule.
Respect is earned and has nothing to do with age.  
Glock918, about every 15 years or so, you will look back and find the good & the bad in your life. Some things will seem stupid, some might even seem brilliant, some will be recognized for what they were...a result of age, experience and/or economics.  
Gargoyle, your #1 makes no sense.  A Marine Sgt. @ 21 is no better [or worse] than any other honest citizen of the same age.  Besides, there are probably few seasoned battle vets who would follow a 21 yr. old into a firefight without you proving yourself first.  I would not, no matter how many stars or bars they gave you.  Nothing peronal, Sarge.  PLease don't be offended.
Now, your #2 says it all.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 6:35:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Royce,

You should read Flags of Our Fathers about the Iwo Jima flag raisers and the invasion.  A 21 year old Marine there was an old hand, and there was at least one instance of a high school sophomore winning the MOH.  Those guys were quite a few notches above John Q. Citizen.  Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 6:19:34 PM EDT
[#29]
WWII was a different time, different world, and different country.  Some things were better, some worse than now.  Young men had no choice but to grow up fast...or they died even faster.
Everyday, in almost every town in America, a John Q. Public finds him/her self in a situation they never expected [or probably wanted] to be in.  And they rise up 'a few notches' and add some years to someone elses' life...at great risk [and often loss] of their own.  Heroism and historical significance is most often stumbled upon and seldom planned.
I have no  more problem with youth as I do with old men who grow more stupid by the day as they reject anything that is new.
You misunderstand my posts.  I'm not against youth.  I'm against youth that displays a lack of responsible behavior and regard for human life...and then wants to play with guns.  Adults who fit that bill are on their own, as it should be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top