Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2001 7:53:26 AM EDT
I was at my local gun shop the other day and saw this rifle.   It was marked as a Remington 700PSS police in 300 Rem. Ultra Mag and was running $885.   Now I know these rifles have a great following and all but I know little about them.  I have been thinking about getting a nice long range bolt gun for awhile now.  So how can I bee sure it truely is the "police" model?  And what about the round?  Is the round good for accuracy?   What about recoil?  Anything else you can tell me about these rifles or cartridges?

Thanks

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 8:14:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Guy that I see at the local shop has one in a 300Ultra, brought in some really nice targets he shot with it.  

A few differences from that to a regular VS remington are other than finish being a very dark matte finish, The HS Precision stock will have a palm swell, stock is longer and heavier in the fore end, has 2 swivel mounts in the front. and will not come with a locking bolt like the other new Remingtons that you need the green key to unlock.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 8:56:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Also the bolt sould be parkerized,though Morgan did show a little one with a bright bolt.
cpermd
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 11:45:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys....from your info given it is definitely the police model.

Does anyone know anything about the cartridge, 300 Remington Ultra Mag?

Thanks

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 11:49:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Very stout
Kicks about like a 338 mag loaded hot and heavy.
cpermd
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 12:19:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Does anyone know if the PSS or the LTR comes in Lefty version?
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#6]
They do not
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 1:33:52 PM EDT
[#7]
From Remington's website;

Unless you properly clean off the warehouse packing product, cosmoline and completely oil the parkerization, rust can begin to form in a very short amount of time. When first receiving and cleaning the parkerized firearm, literally spray the finish (with a great product like RemOil) until it drips wet, go have a cup of coffee, then return and towel dry. This gives the lubricant time to fill the pores of the parkerization.

Has anyone done this with their PSS?
What does it do to the matte black finish on the barrel?
I guess you would want to pat it down with a lint free towel instead of wipe it dow, right?

Link Posted: 11/25/2001 1:48:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 700pss in 308  and love it ......It will shot better than i can ... worked up a good hand load with Hornady A-max  I can say it's the best shooting rifle I have.....

Semper-fi
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 2:11:42 PM EDT
[#9]
When you guys find one with a 5R barrel,let me know and you will make some Xmas $$$ from me!
cpermd
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 2:42:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
When you guys find one with a 5R barrel,let me know and you will make some Xmas $$$ from me!
cpermd

My local shop got one, but it is the standard grey stock like the VSS and it is shiny stainless.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 3:08:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I find it doubtful it has a 5R barrel or is a P or PSS.If you can take a good close macro picture of the crown and send it I can tell.
cpermd
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 3:12:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I find it doubtful it has a 5R barrel or is a P or PSS.If you can take a good close macro picture of the crown and send it I can tell.
cpermd

Definately a 5R barrel but it is something that Accusport ( distributer ) had ordered that way.
Not an actual PSS though... I was dissapointed too...
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 3:23:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok, whats the deal with this barrel? Why is it more desirable or whatnot.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ok, whats the deal with this barrel? Why is it more desirable or whatnot.

stainless-steel barrel was used on the M24, with a bore specially cut for the M118 7.62mm NATO Match Grade ammunition. The barrel was rifled with a special Remington- developed rifling, called 5R. It had five lands and grooves that make one turn in 11 1/4" (286mm), and the edges of the lands were sligthly rounded to reduce friction.

world.guns.ru/sniper/sn11-e.htm
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#15]
How do you know if you have this barrle?....My rifle doesn't have a crown ...well a resecussed crown ...it looks flat on the end.......

Semper-fi
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 5:14:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Send me a pic.
Remington did NOT develope the 5R
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I send you a pic.  don't know how much you can see? wish i knew how too post pic....This is the first i ever heard of a 5r.........

Semper-fi
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a PSS in 300 ultra.  I love shooting it.  It doesn't kick nearly as much as I thought it would (heavy rifle).  That being said, I still end up with some nice bruises after a box of ammo.

Ammo is expensive and not a lot of factory loaded alternatives out there.  Get a reloader if you don't have one.  Just make sure the bullet can handle the velocity.

Mine shoots approximately 1 MOA with the factory ammo (Remingtons premier 180grn Swift Scirroco).  It might shoot better, I assume I am the weak point as far as accuracey.  I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it past 300 yards yet.

The Remington trigger that comes with it is very adjustable (set heavy out of the box), but I am much happier with the Jewell.

Could write more about it but I gotta run for now.  Oh yea, before you buy one pick one up and handle it.  The palm swell on the stock isn't for everyone.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#19]
At the Dallas gunshow this weekend there was a PSS for sale that was supposedly a Custom Shop job.  Never saw a Custom Shop PSS before. The box had a yellow sticker over part of the regular green tag that had details of the order.  I couldn't tell by looking at the s/n if it was really Custom Shop or not.  The dealer had another one like it too.

Supplosedly had some kind of a special barrel.  Couldn't tell as it was Parkerized and looked just like a standard PSS.

They were asking $1150 for it.

**Edited to add it was a .300 Ultra Mag.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 11:27:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Send me a pic.
Remington did NOT develope the 5R

Who came up with it?
Do you have any links for good info on the 5R?

TIA...
Bob
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 12:11:55 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
At the Dallas gunshow this weekend there was a PSS for sale that was supposedly a Custom Shop job.  Never saw a Custom Shop PSS before. The box had a yellow sticker over part of the regular green tag that had details of the order.  I couldn't tell by looking at the s/n if it was really Custom Shop or not.  The dealer had another one like it too.

Supplosedly had some kind of a special barrel.  Couldn't tell as it was Parkerized and looked just like a standard PSS.

They were asking $1150 for it.

**Edited to add it was a .300 Ultra Mag.

IIRC the first runs of PSS were from the Custom Shop and had the 5R barrels. Ever since the tactical craze hit the PSS being made on the regular production line and the 5R barrels, now being too expensive to produce, were replaced by standard button rifled barrels. Basically the difference is that instead of 6 there are 5 grooves and the areas where the lands and grooves meet are radiused.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top