Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2001 9:13:53 AM EDT
I picked up a few of those little jars of gun grease at my last gun show. The problem is I dont know what to do with them. I assume there for lubrication, but doesn't gun oil take care of that? Are certain parts supposed to be greased in place of oiled? My shooting buddy has an M1A that came whith the trigger group coated in grease. Should I do that to my Garand?
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#1]
RTFM

Both the M1A and M1 Garand use grease. Check out the manual that came with either to see where what goes where. If you don't have a manual you can write the company and they'll send you one for free or you can get a military service manual fro a few bucks.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 9:21:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Is this the same grease that comes in the little 2.5cc cups? If so, I don't know if I would actually use it on any of my good guns. That stuff is pretty old and has been on the surplus market for some time. I might use it on some of my old, well abused C&R guns, but there are many types of new weapons lube/grease out on the market now that I would substitute for my newer more expensive weapons.

Frankly though, I just use BreakFree on everything and I've never had any problems. I don't really see a need for grease. The grease that came on your friends M1A could have simply been packing grease to keep the internals safe during shipping/storage. All new weapons should be thoroughly cleaned and relubed prior to shooting.

Michael
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 9:27:48 AM EDT
[#3]
It's the grease that comes in those tiny little jars with the twist off yellow caps. I'm pretty sure its surplus, I never thought about the age thing. Thanks Pony
Paul what about the M1A and M1 are different that then need to be greased? Is there something about design? And Whats RTFM an acronym for?
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 9:40:50 AM EDT
[#4]
RTFM means "Read The F*cking Manual"
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 4:39:29 PM EDT
[#5]
The M1/M14/M1A need grease, not just oil.  Check out the info at: www.fulton.com  on what to oil and what to grease.

CLP is one of the best lubes, but will sling off the working parts, thus the need to apply grease.  All GI manuals include info on where to apply it. Failure to use grease CAN cause damage, especially if you shoot heavy bullets.

The GI grease in the buttstock cleaning kit, (the little jars), is Lubri-Plate lithium grease.  This can be bought from Brownell's and other sources.  In truth, most any good grease will do just fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top