Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2001 9:53:34 AM EDT
   I recently (about a month ago) bought a Bushmaster post-ban 20" brand new from Patriot Arms Co. in South Jordan, Ut.  I have never owned an assault rifle before (I'm only 19) so I have alot of questions.  
    First, whenever I go to buy ammo they try and sell me WOLF ammo, the owner of Patriot Arms told me not to shoot WOLF. Something about the steel casings chipping the extractor??  What are some of your opinions on this?
    Second, I bought a scope and the mounting rail and now am looking at bi-pods.  What is a good brand and set-up?
    And what can I do to my post-ban as far as telescoping stock, muzzle brakes, etc?  
    This sights has already answered so many of my questions.  Thanks in advance for any info.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 10:00:39 AM EDT
[#1]
There are many opinions on Wolf
It won't hurt your extractor or barrel
It is cheap and goes bang 100%
I have heard the lacquer can gum up the bolt and gas system but I have not observd this personally.
Wilson and Gunsmoke have nice brakes that appear correct.
You can put on a stock that is fixed in position only.You can use a telestock but it must be permanently fixed in position.
cpermd
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 10:05:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Harris bipods are probably the best for the AR. you will need an adapter piece for factory handguards.The Wolf ammo is good plinking ammo
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#3]
First off, I'd avoid Wolf.. the deal is, the laquer on the case melts and can gum up the chamber, causing extraction or feeding problems.  Most AR manufacturers recommend against using Wolf.  I'd try to stick with brass cased stuff.  
As far as telescoping stock, not on a post-ban.  Muzzlebrakes and other muzzle accessories have to be permanently fixed.

Oh, and one point, DON'T call it an 'assault rifle'... you're only helping to perpetuate a misconception about our semi-automatic rifles.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 10:26:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Like he said;;; Not an assult rifle. You have bought a semi automatic politicaly correct rifle. Using this term you wont scare the soccer moms.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 11:02:07 AM EDT
[#5]

...about the steel casings chipping the extractor?

The problem with steel is that it doesn't flex like brass, so the extractor experiences more wear each time it pulls a case from the breech. Over time, this erosion can result in worn/broken extractors and failures to extract (FTE). This problem isn't unique to the AR. Some firearms, like the AK & Galil, have robust extractors that can take more abuse. But steel cases still increase the wear factor, regardless. I haven't tested the endurance of my AR with steel cases, but I'd be curious to see how long it would last. That said, extractors are readily available. If you do wear one out, there's no problem replacing it.

Second, I bought a scope and the mounting rail and now am looking at bipods. What is a good brand and set-up?

Versa pods are really good. Look for the ones with the notched adjustable legs (as opposed to the free sliding ones). Try www.dsarms.com or www.bushmaster.com. I got mine (notched leg model) from DSA for my SA58, but they work for any caliber rifle.

I think you can mount a versa pod on standard AR handguards, but I'm not sure how. Look at Bushmaster's site for this method. If you want to mount it on a Knight's RAS, check out www.knightsarmament.com for their RAS & mounting hardware for the versa pod. ARMS will be selling a new mount called the SIR that you can mount the pod onto as well, but it's not available yet. Go to www.armsmounts, item #45.

...what can I do to my post-ban as far as telescoping stock, muzzle brakes, etc?  

With regards to telestocks, nothing. Bushmaster sells fixed "telestocks" (pinned in the fully-extended position) to give you the "look". But the inane '94 crime (criminalization) bill restricts them to rifles with preban receivers (Yeah, it does suck).

You've got some selections for muzzle breaks. Again, Bushmaster sells a few different brakes for post-ban AR's. Once again, the '94 crime (criminalization) bill restricts post-ban guns from possessing flash suppressors, which are devices that reduce/eliminate muzzle flash to all observers. Muzzle brakes reduce recoil, not flash, and so are legal. Flash hiders reduce flash from the shooter's vantage, but not from the other end. These, too, are legal. Check out the online catalogue at www.bushmaster.com

Hopefully, this nonsense will permanently sunset in 2004 (The bill had a 10 year lifespan, renewable only if voted into law again).

'94 crime (criminalization) bill
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 11:22:55 AM EDT
[#6]
if you have a post ban rifle.

imo, I wouldn't worry about putting wolf through an AR. It may or may not be reliable ammo but I doubt any harm will be caused by it.
Hell replacement parts abound and cost very little anyway. just keep you new toy CLEAN

As far as the crime bill is concerned your basically screwed,as to what cool stuff you can put on your rifle.
You have to use the lame approved politically correct copies.

on bipods Harris is pretty much the best.
assuming you can find and afford them parker-hale bipods aren't to bad either
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 2:09:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Riley-
Good choice friend, THe Bushy AR15's are great. I know it's a natural reaction to buy a lot of accessories for a new toy but it may be money wasted in a few months when you get tired of it all and take it back off. For a 20" AR all you really need is a good soft sided rifle case with alot of pockets and as many good military issue mags you can afford. Get some twenties and not all thirty rounders for when bench rest shooting. Get good with the iron sights first and then try out the scope later(might want a cheek rest to get a good cheek weld to the stock). Even with just that stuff the rifle already is getting heavy. Might just want to stay with the iron sights and no scope at all if you have the eyes for it. Good luck and don't shoot your eye out.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#9]
RAF,

And one who owns a Sport Utility Rifle is said to be SURLY?

I once had to get out the cleaning rod to extract a Wolf case from my Bushmaster.  I think I had the rifle over lubricated.  I've not noticed any problems as long as the rifle was clean and properly lubricated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top