Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2001 5:03:13 PM EDT
OK, I'm thinking about ordering a preban Bushy M4 upper.  I figured I'd go with the A3 so I could use flip up sights, scope, or the A3 carry handle.  Does anybody know if the carry handle is included in their price?

One other thing.  I can't decide on the 14.5" or the 16"  I'm assuming that the 14.5 has the FS welded on, correct?  This will make a difference to me in case I decide to put on a Vortex or something else.  Thx!

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Carry handles no included in prices.  They have a drop down on almost any upper that shows, add $90 more for carry handle.

Yes, 14.5" uppers will need to have a permanently attached flash hider/muzzle brake of some sort, and it will have to be a type that is long enough to get the barrel over 16"

I too, am having the same dillema... "do I get the 14.5" with the Phantom permanently attached, and deal with the lower bullet velocity, but have a shoter overall rifle......  

or... do I get the 16" upper, be able to swap hiders... play with brakes.... and have the higher bullet velocity... but a longer overall rifle?"

I am still battling....
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I know it says "Add $90...", but it only says "A3 config. add $90"  It doesn't say if the handle in included.  I assumed it wouldn't be.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:26:17 PM EDT
[#3]
the +$90 A3 upper should include the carry handle. the same upper with no carry handle is the same price as the A2 model.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#4]
big_guy is right.  A3 + Tac handle jacks the cost up $90.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 6:06:53 PM EDT
[#5]
FAL,
I talked to RW about the same scenario...he said BM has a "new" lightweight,shorty barrel. Close to the Colt 6520/6530 weight...this is what I'm probably going to go with for the upper...if you get the 14.5 can you...hmmmm...nevermind.

I'm just kinda torn on the lower...the great deal on the RR's at Gunshot..err.smoke. just seem to be the ticket.

This will be number 3 blackie for me..I want it to go in my Grand Cherokee as my "truck" gun..

Oh,yeah...I'm definitely obsessed.

NAKED
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 6:25:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Best price on a quality lower I have seen is from FAC.  $89 for a forged Oly.  My FFL orders the RRA ones for me for $100-$110 out the door.  He's amazing.

I dont want the lightweight barrel... I am really stuck on M4 profiles.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#7]
FAL,
Choke...CHOKE..cough..spit all over my computer!

You had me at helloooo....

Do you have FAC's website or number?? Damn...good deal on those RR's...

NAKED
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 6:33:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
 My FFL orders the RRA ones for me for $100-$110 out the door.  He's amazing.  

You don't happen to be in the Houston area??

I'd like to meet your FFL if you are!

Heck even the SAT/AUS area, I'd make the drive.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok, let me clarify:

Naked - FAC is Federal Arms Corp, at www.gunsnstuff.net/

They have Oly lowers for $89.  I dont think they carry Rock River lowers.  In my experience, Oly forged lowers are equally as nice as RRA.

Cnatra -  no, I am in DFW.  My FFL is a real cool guy who does things from his house... and he is especially nice to me and my friends for some reason.  :-)  I know how lucky I am, so he is getting a nice xmas present from me this year!
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 9:44:44 AM EDT
[#10]
FALARAK

I'm jealous!
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 1:14:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I am becoming very jealous of -ette's new gun!
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 2:16:45 PM EDT
[#12]
lol...shhhh, she doesn't know it's hers.  She thinks it's ours, which is fine by me.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 3:19:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Like the rest of you, I'm torn over a 14.5" vs. 16" M4 barrel.  Does anyone know the implications of mounting a bayonet on either?

I just got my first pre-ban today, and I'm going to configure it as an M4gery.  I'd like to put an M9 bayo on it (just because I can ), and I'm wondering if the bayo mounting method has anything to do with the barrel.

I know that the bayo lug itself is on the front site post, and that the bayo has a ring on it that goes around the barrel, but I don't understand if that ring mates up with the flash hider, the barrel, or ?  In other words, do the length and diameter of the barrel affect the mounting of a bayonet?

Anybody care to enlighten an M4 newbie?

Thanks,
SAB
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 3:32:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I opted for the 16" today.  I'll see how I like it.  The difference of a 16" with A2 FH and a 14.5" with Phantom is only 1"... so I think I can live with that.  I really want a do-it-all-rifle, so the extra velocity will come in handy.

By the way, www.kiesler.com/ has the 16" bushy, flat-top, preban uppers WITH a side sling adapter for $349.  You cannot beat that price.  Not to mention they actually have them in stock, and everyone else is 2-3 weeks backordered or more.  

Gunsmoke wanted $545 for:
14.5" bushy flat-top upper
Bushy bolt/carrier
Phantom
M4 handguards
and wait 2-3 weeks.

I got:

16" bushy flat-top
Bushy bolt/carrier (from gunsmoke)
A2 flash hider
M4 handguards
Shipped and on its way.

For $513... plus you end up with a side sling adapter ($29 value) and an extra set of carbine handguards.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#15]
On my M4, I went with the 14.5" for a couple of reasons. One, it's a bit shorter, and thus I think a bit more true to military issue. And to be real honest with you, I couldn't imagine having a preban carbine and not being able to mount a bayonet, which you can't do with the 16".

As far as which FH to go with, I'd stay away from the Vortex anyway. Those tongs on them have been known to break of understress. The phantom is not only cool looking, but I've been pretty amazed at how much it reduces the muzzle flash. If you stand to the side of it at night, you'll notice almost no flash.

Hope this helps in some way.

BTW, I don't know about who has what in stock, or the prices right now. But I got my M4 14.5" with phantom and M4 handgaurds for about $240 from gunsmoke W/O bolt and carrier. Usually you can get a bolt and carrier for about $100.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
 BTW, I don't know about who has what in stock, or the prices right now. But I got my M4 14.5" with phantom and M4 handgaurds for about $240 from gunsmoke W/O bolt and carrier. Usually you can get a bolt and carrier for about $100.

Well, you have not been able to get a Bushmaster, 14.5" complete flat-top upper, with or without M4 guards, for under $350 for at least the past 6 months that I have been looking.... but for $240???  

Gunsmoke sells those for $370 or so today.... and that was the same before 9-11... so that has nothing to do with it.  (and that price is WITHOUT M4 guards.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 4:10:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, you have not been able to get a Bushmaster, 14.5" complete flat-top upper, with or without M4 guards, for under $350 for at least the past 6 months that I have been looking.... but for $240???  

Gunsmoke sells those for $370 or so today.... and that was the same before 9-11... so that has nothing to do with it.  (and that price is WITHOUT M4 guards.

Sorry, you are correct. I mispoke (had a rough day yesterday, so I was not at all with it when I posted). I don't know what I was thinking.

I got the M4 kit, minus the A2 receiver since I already had a Bushmaster receiver, and the bolt and carrier.
S
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 6:11:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Cool.  I thought about doing that, and using my receiver and saving some $$$... but I figure I ould rather keep my postban upper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top