Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2001 5:17:28 AM EDT
This will be the first time for me on this, to those that have gone through this any pointer's you could share would be appreciated. I have an IDPA match and then it will be the 3 gun match. I'll be tired I'm sure but will have a big smile. I'll be using a SA 1911A1, Remington 870 Police Mag [8 shot], and the LEGP #16. Thank's for the help.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 6:01:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Have fun and dont get caught up in the "Race gun" race. I like to use a pump s/g and open sighted rifles, I shoot in IPSC but I play the Production role.
Many tactics that 3gun IPSC teaches are way wrong. What they are is fun, fun, fun. and should be treated that way.
Use it for practical experince and a testbed for equipment.
I found most of the 3 gunners are grand master in pistols but suck out loud with a rifle.
remember in the shotgun portion you will not have a large amount of very fragile reloaders available.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 6:59:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Practice reloading the shotgun that is an area where you can gain or lose a ton of time. In 3-gun just about every average shooter has a weakness, so try to have all solid stages.  Like Rich said most prople will mess up on at least one stage and thats is where you move up. The last 3gun match I shot, I beat 3 much better shooters because they had gun problems - so make sure all your stuff works.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:37:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I think that the biggest thing is to have fun. Like the others have said - everyone has a weakness. Don't let the guys with optics on all 3 of their weapons - including that "world's fastest autoloader" Benelli freak you out. As with most things in life - the gear is only a portion of the equation. Most of the time those with the best gear are lacking in the area of practice or physical skill.

HAVE FUN
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 12:23:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Everyone makes perfect sense. All my stuff is regular stuff, no space stuff. Rich314 I don't know about the tactics as this will be my first. Some of IDPA tactics I disagree with, it goes against the police training I had once upon a time. Sidelock1 very good point as it's been a long time since I did any fast reloads with the 870. Don't worry six as I'll have fun ahhhh the smell of gunpowder in the morning.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 1:17:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Most clubs don't let you use any shotgun speedloaders. Sometimes they make you do a mandatory reload after first 5 rnds. to screw up the 8 shot tube advantage. It becomes a reloading contest.
 I usually do pretty good in the shotgun and rifle stages, but I'm outclassed by the raceguns in the pistol stage.
I still have fun.  

Link Posted: 11/15/2001 2:39:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Shoot fast and hit the A zone,you'll be all set.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Shotgun and rifle are  the big keys to a 3 gun match, like every one has said. practice practice practice loading that shotgun! that is the biggest time killer! and don't MISS with it! a miss with the scatter gun will kill you. take your time and get your hits. did I forget to say don't miss? most of all HAVE FUN! you shooting the TN Tactical 3 gun?
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 7:22:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Fl3gun this is a local club match, don't know anything about TN Tactical 3 gun. This is my first time trying this. Tell me about this TN Tactical 3 Gun deal.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 7:33:14 AM EDT
[#9]
The last three-gun match I went to allowed bandoliers and side-saddles on shot guns but you had to start with only 3 in the gun. Having the shotshells easily accesible is much better than having loose in your pocket.

Do you know if you are shooting slugs or shot? Make sure you know where your gun shoots with slugs.

They also made the rifle stage interesting by only allowing 10rounds in a mag, forcing you to do a reload...something many don't practice either.

Have fun

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top