Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2001 8:02:28 PM EDT
Is it legal for me to ship a high cap rifle magazine to an address in NYC?

I have read where people wont ship any mags to NYC... but not sure why. Some do, some dont.

I can ascertain, if that is correct... that it "might" be illegal to own/purchase one... but is it illegal for me to ship one? As in, since there is no federal/state law against it..... isn;t it the responsibility of the purchaser to know the laws of _their_ locality?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 8:25:27 PM EDT
NYC is made up of five boro's, so you couldn't ship to the following:

1) Brooklyn, NY
2) Queens, NY
3) Staten Island, NY
4) Bronx, NY
5) New York, NY (Manhattan)

But you have to be careful, because if someone wants them shipped to Ozone Park, NY, it would be illegal because that is in Queens, NY. How would you know that? You would have to ask them if they live in NYC's five Boro's.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 8:28:41 PM EDT
So, is it really illegal for me to SHIP them there... or illegal for them to OWN/BUY them there?

Meaning... if my state dont have a problem with it, and the feds dont have a problem with it... cannot I ship whatever I want? Or does NYC have a case against me for shipping?
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 8:43:34 PM EDT
I wouldn't chance it. Using the Postal Service to tranport illegal items is a Federal offense. NYC says no, then don't sell it to them. If established dealers honor State bans and post that in there ads, maybe you should too.

btw If you are talking about me. I live in Nassau County, not in the 5 bouroghs
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 4:10:09 AM EDT
I don't believe NYC would have a case against you. I believe it is a posession violation. It is kind of stupid. If you live in NYC you can go to the shows in NYS where there are plenty of hi-cap mags for sale and just bring them back into the city.

In short I would ask the person if they know someone in NYS that you can ship to so you don't have to worry. If not suggest he go to one of the shows up there. They always have one in Middletown NY that a friend goes to and they have plenty there. It is also close enough to NYC.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 4:37:09 AM EDT
The local laws are the problems of the local people.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 4:40:39 AM EDT
Thanks guys.... with all the advice I am getting... I am not going to chance it. I totally disagree.... but, I dont need any trouble over a $20 mag.

I am going to ask for a different address to ship to in NYS, outside of NYC, or refund the money.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 4:43:25 AM EDT
This all makes me so glad to live in GA!!

Top Top