Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2001 9:20:20 PM EDT
In my latest attempt to divert the fact that I can't own an AR-15 into something positive, I've decided that I want a new bolt action rifle. I've always like Mausers, and very much want to use one. So, I'm planning on going out and finding a WWII era German Mauser (I've had good luck with those) with a crappy stock and stuff for a decent price. Simple enough. Then, I want to have it reblued and possibly rebarreled. I've seen it done to some guns and they came out very nicely. My questions are; Who makes a decent 8mm barrel? I like 8mm and would like to keep it. This is all assuming that the bore on the Mauser is crap, which I hope it's not. My second question is..How much is too much to pay for a rifle rebluing? Anything I should look out for? Anything I should request etc etc..? Also, anyone know If I'll have to modify or replace the bolt in order to accomodate the new scope? Or can I just buy extra high rings? Thanks, and yes, I know I could just BUY a new (good used) Remington or something, but I like doing things the hard way. That and I have 4 Remingtons already. :) Thanks for any help you can provide.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 10:47:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't own an AR15 in CA: well that is true..though you could own an M1A (as long as it has a muzzle brake instead of a flash hider). But those are expensive. Or you could own an M1 Garand or M1 Carbine or SKS, or a Mini 14, etc.

Mausers: Mausers pretty much break up into 2 categories: large Ring Mausers ( the Mauser 98 and its varients) and small ring Mausers. Large Ring Mausers have stronger actions.
The bolt handle on Mauser 98K's are bent downwards so you don't need to do any modification to them if you scope the rifle. Basically you need to decide if you want to sporterize the rifle or restore it to its original military condition.

I own 2 custom made rifles built on the Mauser 98 Action. One is in 308 Norma Magnum, the other is in 257 Roberts. Both are VERY accurate and pleasant to shoot.

The Mauser 98 Action is good for building a fine hunting rifle. BRNO makes a good Mauser Action. Lots of 8mm barrels around. If you want a premium barrel. Lija, Krieger, Shilen make fantastic barrels.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:51:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Consider starting witht a Yugoslavian M-48 (equivalent of a 98k) and getting it fixed up.  They're available for as little as $150 in near-new condition.

The metal work is rough, but you can get the action polished, exterior refinished, and stock dolled up for a reasonable price.  There are gunsmiths who specialize in de-uglifying old military rifles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top