Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2001 4:41:24 AM EDT
This is regarding used purchases.

Is there a way for an individual to verify the serial number of a firearm is not reported stolen prior to acquiring it?

I appreciate any comments on this matter.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 5:16:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Usually I just trust my gut feeling on this kind of thing. I just go by my impression of the person selling the gun and what the price is. Usually a ridiculously low price is the first sign. This just what I do, I guess you could get the serial # and ask the police to check for you. But I would still fall back on the idea that, if you don't feel comfortable with the situation then don't buy it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 5:24:49 AM EDT
[#2]
You probably can't check completely.  I kind of remember a website that was to be used as a clearing house for stolen guns' serial numbers, but I can't find it now.  Even that would all depend on the owner turning in the info.

What VA-gunnut said.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 5:40:34 AM EDT
[#3]
gee you'd think if the government was serious about keeping guns out of the hands of criminals that it would put up a website that would allow this.  Surely tracking down stolen firearms has to be to everone's advantage.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 8:34:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Price is the main indicator.  Pre-ban complete rifle for $500 is stolen.  New-in-box 36" TVs for $100 are stolen.  No way to track either.

Curt --

Complete gun registration will allow you to track this.  Won't keep guns out of criminal hands, though, as they don't ask and don't tell if it's stolen.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 8:46:43 AM EDT
[#5]
The police will do it for you. The bad part is they have to have it in their hand when they do it.I think the problem there is obvious!

I ran across a website once that did this but it may have been for Florida only. I will have to look around.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 9:02:56 AM EDT
[#6]
This used to be a place:

www.isthisgunstolen.com/
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 10:16:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Not much available for DIY. Ask local LE to run the serial through NICS. Sheriffs office does it here.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 10:47:37 AM EDT
[#8]
In dallas you can call the police and tell them you found a deal on a gun and you want to know if it is stolen, no proplem, but if it turns up hot, you HAVE to tell them where the gun is.
GG
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the tips.  I appreciate everyone's help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top