Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/9/2001 4:11:20 AM EDT
I posted this to the Shooter's Bullseye board, but haven't seen a response, so I'm trying here.  What seems to be the best all-around bullseye load for the Nosler 185? I've got two bulk-packs, and I'm ready to give them a try for slow fire, but I'd like to cut out some of the waste in load development if there's a consensus on where to start. I know the Marines like 4.1 of VV powder (can't remember the number....have to check archives) and a few locals have mentioned Clays, but I don't remember which one. Any other powder worth looking into? Is there a preferred velocity I should be trying to maintain? I have a Nowlin EDM barrel, if that matters. Any help is appreciated. Rick H.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 6:54:23 AM EDT
[#1]
For accuracy you are going to have to find the best load the old fashion way....experimentation..sorry.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 7:22:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Take a look at the favorite loads part of www.bullseyepistol.com

This is the bullet for the Marines' favorite load.  They seem to do pretty well with it.  

Edit:  Rats!  I thought it was linked from this site.  IIRC, the Marines load the 185 Nosler over 4.3 of VV310.  I'm doing this from memory, but it's close.  Ask on the bullseye list, available from the above site.  You'll get a dozen responses.  We also have a picnic at Camp Perry during pisol phase.

Edit #2:  Found this in the yahoo groups.  groups.yahoo.com/group/BULLSEYESHOOTERS/message/26 Note the guy sez it's "his version" of the Marine load.

My 50 yard accuracy load is:
   185gr Nosler JHP
   4.1gr VV N310
   Winchester WLP primers
   Federal brass
   OAL = 1.20"
   Taper crimp to .469"
   Each round inspected and gauged
    ~740 fps
    This is my version of the Marine load

Here's another version.  Neil at NSK is a very knowlegable source.  www.escribe.com/sports/bullseye/m5917.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top