Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/8/2001 9:51:13 PM EDT
?
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 9:52:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think so,not really it's a nic-name I think.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 9:57:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, a Bushmaster is a Snake.  I think a rattler, but I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Bushmaster is a large, poisonous snake of Central America, tropical parts of South America, and Trinidad. It may grow as long as 11 feet (3.4 meters). Like all other pit vipers, the bushmaster has a deep pit between the eye and nostril. The lining of the pit is sensitive to heat and helps the snake find warm-blooded prey. The bushmaster has a rough skin. It is yellow or pale brown with a row of large black blotches down its back. The fangs may grow 1 inch (2.5 centimeters) long. Bushmasters produce young by laying eggs. The eggs, about 10 in number, are white and larger than hens' eggs. They may be laid in the nest or burrow of a small animal. The bushmaster does not thrive in captivity because it refuses to eat.
Bushmaster  

Scientific Classification. The bushmaster belongs to the viper family, Viperidae. Its scientific name is Lachesis muta.

Link Posted: 11/8/2001 10:43:12 PM EDT
[#4]
as I read this, there was an ad for bushmaster at the bottom
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 12:40:41 AM EDT
[#5]
And they're tasty.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 1:22:34 AM EDT
[#6]
The Bushmaster makes a great cameo appearance in the movie "Romancing The Stone" with Micheal Douglas and Kathleen Turner.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 3:32:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I bet that's why the Bushmaster logo gots that big snake on it huh?
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 4:30:43 AM EDT
[#8]
They are also highly territorial, and very aggressive in defense of it's territory.  So the next time your in Panama, don't try to set up your OP on Mr. Bushmaster's hill!
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 11:21:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Bushmaster's (both kinds) are very nasty indeed.

During my "religious" period, in the early 70's, I was at a missionary camp in SA.
We were clearing a large field with Machete's.

You've never heard baptists curse so loud and long as when a 9 foot poisonous snake starts chasing them!  LOL

And a machete never feels so inadequate as when a snake with a 3 1/2 foot striking distance is after you!

Coulda used a Bushmaster on that Bushmaster.

A local walked up and cut it in half with a spade.

Then we laughed.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 11:24:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I bet that's why the Bushmaster logo gots that big snake on it huh?

I was thinking this as I was reading the title of the post but figured I'd not make a smart a#$ comment this time.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes sirree bob.  I lived in Panama for 16 years. Last thing you wanted to see in the jungle was a bushmaster or a fer-de-lance.

Link Posted: 11/10/2001 1:58:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 2:55:57 AM EDT
[#13]
The Nevada State reptile is the Boresnake. Pickup trucks are state recognized brass catchers when positioned correctly.
Bushmasters are males who master the bush.
Boresnakes live in the bush.
I hope this has helped answer your question.
bs,

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top