Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2001 5:20:29 PM EDT
I am going to build a social rifle.

It will be a preban lower, 6 position M4 collapsible stock, bushy 14.5" M4 barrel with permanently attached phantom.

I cannot decide on which type of upper I want.

This rifle will probably end up with an Acog on it.

I dont know if I want to go:

1. Flat-top upper, and then depend on the built in sights of the NSN Acog... or use a flip up sight and remove the Acog

2. Go with an A1/A2 upper, and then carry handle mount the Acog.

I can see the benefits of #2... if there is a problem with the ACOG, I can immediately go to trusty sturdy irons.  

If #1 config is dropped, and the ACOG is broken, I could be up sh*t creek.

Config #2 might have a bad cheek weld, however... being so high.

Config #1 allows so many more variations of future sight configs, like NV combination with the ACOG.  I like the idea of that.

What do you guys think?  Which do you prefer?
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#1]

What exactly is a social rifle?

Link Posted: 11/2/2001 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#2]
A SHTF rifle.  Something designed to be depended on.  The one rifle you grab and run with.  The bugout rifle.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 5:47:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Flat-top with flip up iron sight.
I like the Knight Armament 300meter
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 5:48:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Ah, I see. I should get myself one of these "social" rifles.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 7:15:20 AM EDT
[#5]
? I dont have a social rifle.  I'm gonna call my wife right now and tell her I want one.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 8:23:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Well you could start with the flat top, get a carry handle, and try set up 2, and see if you think the Acog is too high.  If it is, then you know to loose the carry handle (sell it on the Equipment exchange)and go with set up 1.  That's the great part of a flattop with a carry handle, it's versatility.  Asking opinions is ok, but in the end you are the one shooting the rifle.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Someone just had to come up with another gun I "HAVE" to have.. this will go along nicely with my SHTF gun.

Ropes

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top