Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2001 2:31:15 PM EDT
I am able to get a pretty good deal on the Ruger Mini 14 or Mini-30...What do you guys think about the rifle? I was leaning towards the 7.62 but have not ruled out the .223...all comments welcomed...Thanks..
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 2:37:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Do a search for that weapon on these boards, you'll find your answer. Save up and buy an AR15, there's a reason they're more than double the price of a mini.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 2:41:59 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want a 7.62 rifle get a SKS or a AK  type rifle....  .223? invest $100-200 more and buy an AR mini's are not worth the $$$
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Bushmaster...Was just thinking of getting something new...Maybe Ill just get another Bushy...
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Good plan.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 2:46:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Glad I came here first...seems like it would have been a bad idea to get the mini...
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#6]
My best buddy, aka, Prospector, is an avid defender of the Mini-14, yet is trying in vain to find an ammo that shoots better than MOT (minute of torso)...
I think the best he'll ever get is going to be MOPOC (minute of pack of cigarettes).

That being said, I've sworn to him that if he gets an AR15, I'll get a Mini-14.  You know, all that "buddy stuff" about having like guns, etc.

I, on the other hand, will only expect the Mini-14 to be what it is, a close range lightweight firearm, rather than spend a ton of $$$ trying to make it a target shooter.  The Mini reminds me of the 1911 in that the basic platform is great, only you must dump more into it to get the performance you want out of it, or spend a lot on one (either above mentioned gun) that's tweaked already.

Personally, I think two AR's are worth the expenditure.  You buy one half at a time, if you want to stretch the budget...

I'd better give Prospector a heads up on this thread, so he can come back and soundly thrash me.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#7]

The Mini reminds me of the 1911 in that the basic platform is great, only you must dump more into it to get the performance you want out of it, or spend a lot on one (either above mentioned gun) that's tweaked already.

Exactly. They make a nice platform for building an accurate rifle if you want something a little out of the ordinary. Below is my Ranch Rifle that's been rebarreled to 6x45mm. Remember, a rifle's purpose is to please its owner.

Link Posted: 11/1/2001 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The Mini reminds me of the 1911 in that the basic platform is great, only you must dump more into it to get the performance you want out of it, or spend a lot on one (either above mentioned gun) that's tweaked already.

Exactly. They make a nice platform for building an accurate rifle if you want something a little out of the ordinary. Below is my Ranch Rifle that's been rebarreled to 6x45mm. Remember, a rifle's purpose is to please its owner.

Oh sweet gun!!

Edited to say buy what pleases you, however if you want a cheap 7.62 plinker than $200 is better than $500 and you have the same acuracy potential
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 3:48:32 PM EDT
[#9]
OK give the scoop, whast been done to the rifle? who did it and the costs?
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Jim_Dandy-
That's a really nice rifle!
Tell us about it, please.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I had it rebarreled by Tim Lewis of Accuracy Rifle Systems www.mini-14.net about four-and-a-half years ago. I gave $400 for the gun at OKC Sports (aka Sports Unlimited aka Jumbo Sports aka OUT OF BUSINESS) and another $375 for the work at the time. The factory stock has wayyyyyyyyy too much drop for scope use, so that was replaced. The stock that's on there now is from Turner Customs and cost around another $100 at the time. I had a white elephant piece of crap fiberglass stock from MPI (DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH MPI IF YOU VALUE YOUR MONEY) that I wound up trading to ARS for some more labor and had the trigger group worked over and the action pillar bedded. The scope is a Burris Signature 3x9 with Posi-lock.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#12]
The Mini-14 is reliable with large capacity mags, while the Mini-30 has problems.

First thing, for accuracy, is get rid of the loose fitting wood stock... or bed it as would be done with an M14/M1A.  I replaced my Mini-14 stocks with Choate E2 style pistol grip stocks... which are legal on post-ban Mini-14's if you add no other AW features (such as flash suppressor or bayonet lug).  The Choate is available in very well done camo.

This is NOT a 400 Meter target rifle, but it IS a very good 0-200 M carbine.  With the factory stock, expect 4-6 groups at 100 M with 55 gr FMJ (M193).  With the Choate stock or bedding, you can cut this in half, and expect 2" groups with scope.

I suggest you buy stainless, I have had NO problems with mine, and NO rust.  The finish is a gray bead blasted matte finish, very non-reflective.

The best mags I have found are the 20 and 30 round PMI aka Precision Mag(also sold as Federal Ordinance) mags.  I have had flawless functioning with these.

The Ranch Rifle version is very easy to mount a 1" tube scope.  With the supplied rings (yes, Ruger gives you the rings) the largest objective you can fit is 40mm, plenty.

I clean my rifles after each outing, but if needed, this rifle could easily go 1000-1500 rounds, maybe more, without cleaning, and function just fine.  It will run with no oil, though I don't recommend this.

This is the saddle rifle of the 21st century.

No, it is not as accurate as the average AR-15 or CAR, but it is not as expensive either.

It will digest just about any reasonable ammo you wish to fire in it.

I have has misfeeds with Ramline mags.

No, you cannot use or convert M16 mags.  If anyone says you can, I challenge him to show me his converted mags.

If Ruger had been smart, they would have designed the rifle to use USGI M16 mags, and I am still surprised no one has come out with a kit to modify the mag well.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm glad to hear that not every one is doing the mindless bashing that has happened quite a bit to the ruger mini. I bought a recent mini ranch .223 w the factory synthetic stock. The synthetic stock fixes much of the major bedding problems, especially if it fits nice and tight like mine. The rifle shoots honest 1moa 5 shot groups with decent ammo. I could be lucky, but my other friends that shoot mini 14's (LE guys) have proven at least 2moa. This is perfect for a compact little gun. I payed about $200+ less than an AR for a nice stainless gun w/ excellent scope rings. The ruger is worth it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#15]
They were used exclusively by the A-Team.

Can't get a better endorsement than that.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Man, I love that show!!!

Link Posted: 11/1/2001 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#17]
If I was you I would stay away from the Ruger mini 14 and 30 they are over priced and extremely inaccurate rifles. I shot AK's that got a better grouping at a 100 yards. Besides that did you ever look at how much a good Ruger mag costs they are at least $35 and higher. If you are going to get one I would make sure that you get good mags like PMI or Ruger mags because the USA mags like to jam up big time.  If you want a 7.62 x 39 I would get a AK and if you want a 5.56x45 I would get a AR-15.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 10:06:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
If I was you I would stay away from the Ruger mini 14 and 30 they are over priced and extremely inaccurate rifles. I shot AK's that got a better grouping at a 100 yards. Besides that did you ever look at how much a good Ruger mag costs they are at least $35 and higher. If you are going to get one I would make sure that you get good mags like PMI or Ruger mags because the USA mags like to jam up big time.  If you want a 7.62 x 39 I would get a AK and if you want a 5.56x45 I would get a AR-15.

blah blah blah
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#19]
As far as cost of mags... yes, they are expensive now... but before the ban, I regularly picked up PMI blued 30's for $13, and stainless 30's for $14.  

Oh, the PMI 40 round mag works well, too, never a malfunction with it.  It is just very long.

I will repeat, the biggest obstacle to accuracy is the OEM wood stock.  The plastic stocks from Choate or Ruger are much superior.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Oh no! not this again
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm very happy with my Mini-14. I bought it for $298.00 a few years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top