Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/1/2001 1:29:19 PM EDT
Hey Guys,

I just got a nice Alessi shoulder rig for my Colt Python. Fits like a glove. Maybe a little too much like a glove, it's really tight. What's the best way to break in the leather? Should I apply a conditioner like saddle soap or something? I don't want the gun falling out, but I really gotta yank on it to get it outta there.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 1:38:20 PM EDT
Don't use saddle soap. What I do and what seems to work very well is to take your firearm, seal it water tight in a plastic bag, dunk the holster in a bucket of water for about 1 minute. Take it out of the water, insert your PROTECTED firearm in it and let it dry. This will mold the holster to the gun, stretching the leather for a better fit.

I do this with all my new leather and it works great. Soaps and oils have a tendency to stain clothing while wearing as your body heat or even sunlight warms the leather up. I found this out the hard way with a Cowboy Action Shooting Rig I bought years ago. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 2:54:03 PM EDT
You can also just store the gun in the holster for a while, it will loosen up over a period of time. A good quality holster tends to be rather tight when new.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 4:19:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rkb3119:
You can also just store the gun in the holster for a while, it will loosen up over a period of time. A good quality holster tends to be rather tight when new.

Put it under the seat of your car on a nice sunny day. Worked for me on a new Desantis!
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 5:04:02 PM EDT
Wear it/Use it
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 5:07:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/1/2001 5:01:08 PM EDT by Arock]
I got a small bottle of something called Leather Lightning from Mitch Rosen Extraordinary Gunleather. Whatever it is works. Takes about ten applications of 3-4 drops each on the inside of the holster or magazine holder.

Leather Lightning now gets used on all my leather holsters. BTW it doesn't stain your clothes.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 5:12:16 PM EDT
Leather Lightning works great !
The only way to really break in a holster is to use it, draw repeatedly.
Leaving it over night or two with the gun wrapped in a thick bag (like what the holster came in) inserted into the holster works well.
You still not going to get around breaking it in w/o use. Most everything else will just f*** up a good or bad holster.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 5:38:05 PM EDT

Cowboy Action Shooting

Geez, you're not supposed to say that here. Some people think we're not real shooters.
Top Top