Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2001 11:32:31 AM EDT
So, I am going to upgrade my dad's cherry M1 Garand for X-mas, and want to know what items give the biggest bang-for-the-buck?

Trigger, NM sights, NICE leather sling, or ???

Probably going to go through Fulton Armory.

TIA
GS
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#1]
The best thing for a Garand is a new NM barrel. I had one put in mine for less than $200, out-the-door & it is a Douglas NM medium barrel.

Peep sights are also a good choice.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#2]
If your dad's garand is all original DO NOT replace barrel.  You will decrease the value.  Have you done a good close inspection of the Garand to see what you have.  I would sure hate for an excellent example of an original configuration Garand to be destroyed because you think a Garand needs "upgrading!"

You might want to make it "more original" than to "upgrade" it.  Have you check out Scott Duffs books to see exactlly what you have?  You can access Scott's Web sight from the Fulton Armory web sight.  The addition of a few original parts may make it more of a collectors item and add more value.  

If you really want to "upgrade" it and it is just a rack grade, or a re-build I would accurize it first.  

A NM barrel is only as good as the accurizing job on the garand.  I would have a good armorer accurize the rifle, I am sure Clint at Fulton Armory will do a good job.  Call him and talk to him about it.  

A good accurizing job will entail glass bedding the receiver to the stock, modifying the gas system, and setting your trigger pull.  NM sights may not be what you want unless you plan to shoot matches.  The standard sights on the Garand are more than adequate for hunting.

Link Posted: 10/31/2001 8:30:42 PM EDT
[#3]
You must first decide what you want to do with the rifle.  If you want to shoot in Garand matches there very tight rules about what you can change.  The first thing I'd change (and you can have this done for a Garand match rifle) is have a trigger job done.  To me, nothing improves the shootablity more than a good trigger job. To put it another way: a bad trigger really ruins the shooting pleasure. As a side note, some of the CMP rifles come with very good triggers in the 5 to 6 # range.  You can really sink some $ into making these old timers shoot but...if you really want to shoot tight groups and brag about your scores, put your money into an AR.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 5:58:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Gene --

Unless this rifle is already cobbled into a "match rifle" don't dick with it unless you're sure it has no historical significance.

"Match M1" and "Match M14" have been oxymorons the past few years.  The M16/AR15 wins the National Matches.

For just a shooting upgrade a 7.62mm NATO barrel will allow shooting good 14 cent ammo vs. 25 cent.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 6:32:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Ammunition & practice.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 8:00:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Send it to Clint Fowler (not McKee). For $500 he'll make it shoot under 1".
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#7]
As a Garand shooter, the easiest accuracy upgrade is bedded stock. Your post leads me to believe he is a casual shooter due to your suggestions. I have Turner sling for match shooting and really looks nice but if you have tried to find 30-06 ammo lately THAT could be a great present as is drying up to great extent for blasting purposes. Also original acc like belt,bandoliers,and bayonet are also nice presents. DONT mess with if cherry without his consent as may like it all original.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top