Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2001 6:27:23 AM EDT
Gentl,
I'm torn between these 2 rifles and dont know which one to chose, i only can purchase ONE due to financial limited. The YUGO AK47 selling for $1700, preban, brand spanking new. And the other is preban AR15 Colt 16" barrel in 762x39 cal. also brand new selling for $1400.
Which one do you fox wanted? and why?
Please give me some idea and knowledged from you. Best regards,
Taa
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 8:39:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Neither, actually. The AR in 7.62x39 will perhaps pose a bit of concern regarding finding mags anywhere & everywhere. No such problem for an AR in .223.

The pre-ban prices on AKs are ridiculous. Simply buy a MAC-90 for around $400 & then you have the same gun & mags are plentiful.

My .o2
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:18:51 AM EDT
[#2]
AK for $1700??? I spotted a mint poly teck legend folder for $1000 at the last gun show. Fair price. If your going to stockpile mags stick with a 223 in an ar. I'd take Bobs advice.

My next one is going to be a 9mm.

Happy hunting.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:30:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Uh, Guys--the Yugo is one of the best AK's out there.  It is a collectable gun (few imported, etc.).  Why do people pay much more for a Stoner AR-15 instead of a Century Arms $500 special?  The MAK-90 is OK (I had an NHM-91), the Legends are very nice guns (I do like the milled receiver guns), the Hungarian stuff has the best finish (the Yugos are about equal).

As a cheap shooter, the SAR-1, or other cheap guns are fine.  As a collectable, the Legend, Yugo, Kassnar import Hungarian guns, etc. are the way to go.

Taa--if you are going to pay that much for the Yugo, make DAMN sure it is marked AK-47 (pre-ban) and not M-90 (post-ban, MAYBE grey area).  Skip the AR in 7.62 for the reasons mentioned (mags mostly).  You could get a .223 AR, a bunch of mags, and a cheap shooter AK for what it will cost to get a different upper (in .223) along with the 7.62 Colt.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#4]
i had a 7.62 colt preban and didn't like it much--mag problems was the reason--traded the upper and mags i had for an FAL....and put a 223 on preban 7.62 receiver....i guess i'd say that if i absolutley had to have a 7.62 X 39...i'd buy a cheap AK (Not a preban--a threaded muzzle isn't worth it),,,,Dick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top