Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2001 12:40:49 AM EDT
Looking to buy the 3" or 4" Ruger GP-100 .357 Magnum revolver.
Seems quite sturdy and a good value to me but it would help to hear from actual owners and their experiences with this wheelgun.

Upsides/downsides to the 3" vs 4" barrel??
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 12:50:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a stainless steel one with the 4" full lug barrel, KGP-141. I like it a lot and have no complaints here.  I should mention that it's my only modern revolver so I have nothing else to make a fair comparison with.  It's my wife's favorite gun.

I replaced the front with an orange ramp by Millet.  It's not quite as sharp as the factory front but it's easier to pick up quickly.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 1:09:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a blued GP100, 4" barrel, full underlug. No complaints with mine either. I painted the front ramp orange with model paint and it works for me. The grips are Uncle Mike's. 3" or 4" barrel is a matter of personal preference. If you're thinking of carrying it you might want the shorter barrel, but they're still pretty bulky. I've shot everything through it from my own .38 reloads to hot .357 mag reloads, and nary a problem. HTH
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 2:02:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I too have the stainless full-lugged four inch model with adjustable sights. I replaced the front sight with the Ruger accessory sight RFS that features an orange insert and the rear sight with the Bowen all-steel model. Gives a better sight picture than the standard Ruger factory sights. Lastly, I had an action job performed by Briley to smooth things up and improve the single and double action pulls. A nice gun.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 3:13:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the 4" stainless.  Of course the triggers on these are not as nice as on a smith.  But this gun is "almost" indestructible.  I say that because a guy I know blew one up.  He, being the brain surgeon he  could be, used rifle powder to reload some hot loads, and BOOM.  

Anyway if you put a spring kit in it, it really helps the trigger.  I had mine ported, as well, every time I think I'll move on to something else, I pick it handle it a little, maybe shoot it, clean it and put it back to bed  with it's good friends.  These are nice guns if you get it at the right price.  The 4" is heavy to carry around in a holster, but If you don't do it all day it ain't bad.  Typical Ruger, great gun for the price.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 3:25:20 AM EDT
[#5]
These guys are the suppliers to Ruger for their grips. If you like the factory rubber grip, they have several inserts on special right now. www.lettgrips.com
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 5:31:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an SP101 357 with the 2 inch barrel and also a 6 inch full underlug stainless GP100.  Both are built like bank vaults and are great weapons

pat the splat
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:00:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 11:49:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm very pleased with all the helpful responses.
Thanks guys.
I think I'll go with the 3" blued for more versatility. Maybe look into getting the front sight insert.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 2:12:44 PM EDT
[#9]

I think I'll go with the 3" blued for more versatility. Maybe look into getting the front sight insert.

The three inch models are all fixed sighted and have a pinned front sight. There is or was a replacement front sight blade for the SP-101 with a tritium insert and was available from Brownell's. Don't know if there was one made for the GP-100. Anyway, here's the rear sight that I have on my GP-100:
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#10]
The Gp-100 is the most durable toughest double action revolver ever made. They are built to tough levels that would make colts cry and smiths sob. i have several thousand rounds in mine and its like new. Get the 4 inch IMHO, its more usefull
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have an SP101 357 with the 2 inch barrel and also a 6 inch full underlug stainless GP100.  Both are built like bank vaults and are great weapons

pat the splat

Had the same duo(SP101 with 3" barrel) and I must agree.  I put over 40K rounds through the GP before I let it go.  It has to tell you something about a firearm when you look in a reloading manual and you find two different categories for .357's, Ruger/Thompson and everybody else.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:43:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I got this one about 2 weeks ago.

www.kats.net/ruggp1004.html
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Go to www.galleryofguns.com and power search for the GP100 and look at the pimp gun model made for Davidson's with wood grips, the four inch barrel, and gold trigger, gold hammer and gold cylinder latch.(KGP141T)

Now that's the one you want.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:38:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

pat the splat

I've chosen the GKGP-161 (deciphered, that means: HighPolishedStainlessSteel/Sights/6"bbl.FullUnderLug...)
I love this revolver.  Itsa really anicea gun!!!

I gave my Best Friend my SP-101 snub for his birthday a few years ago, as I wanted a snubnose with 6-shots.
I got a Security-Six in blue with the 2 & 3/4" bbl./sights to replace the SP-101.

The GP-100 series IS the revolver to have, with the KGP-141 the most versatile of the whole bunch, in my opinion.

Shop on, Dude!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top