Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
3/20/2017 5:03:23 PM
Posted: 10/26/2001 2:56:58 PM EDT
Ok, on a 20" AR, how is accuracy affected by....brakes, suppressors, compensators etc. etc.
would a plain muzzle be better ?
Your thoughts please
SPECTRE
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 5:16:06 PM EDT
I don't know either, and I'm looking forward to the replies. And maybe someone can explain why muzzle brakes are not allowed in CMP competition.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:07:44 PM EDT
I'll add to this...Do muzzlebreaks have to be pinned permanently on a postban and how much damage is done to the muzzle doing this?
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:12:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PMIDOG:
I'll add to this...Do muzzlebreaks have to be pinned permanently on a postban and how much damage is done to the muzzle doing this?

If the barrel is threaded, then yes, they do have to be permanently attached to a postban. They can be blind pinned, or welded, or hitemp soldered, or?

If the brake is a pin on or a set screw type, then no... since the barrel is not threaded to accept this.

Damage? Shouldn't be ANY damage... unless some yahoo drunk smith does it...
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:21:03 PM EDT
IMO, and I believe that I've read this somewhere, A brake or suppresser of any kind will affect accuracy to a certain degree. This is because the gasses a not directed evenly.

If you are shooting a competition which requires minute accuracy then use a plain muzzle. If you are shooting a high speed comp then by all means use a muzzlebrake for a faster follow-up.

Sig, aren't CMP competitions for military appearance firearms? You can alter any internal part as long as it doesn't affect the overall appearance.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 7:12:26 PM EDT
Actually, some compensators are designed to help accuracy. I have a Volquartzen barrel on my 10/22 that has a special compensator on it to disperse the gases in a way that they do not have a random affect on the bullet. Of course, this is not a recoil compensator... it is simply to assists the gases in combination with a target crown.

Originally Posted By alexanderredhook:
IMO, and I believe that I've read this somewhere, A brake or suppresser of any kind will affect accuracy to a certain degree. This is because the gasses a not directed evenly.

If you are shooting a competition which requires minute accuracy then use a plain muzzle. If you are shooting a high speed comp then by all means use a muzzlebrake for a faster follow-up.

Sig, aren't CMP competitions for military appearance firearms? You can alter any internal part as long as it doesn't affect the overall appearance.

Top Top