Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2001 9:21:20 AM EDT
UPDATE...

Section 1062 of the Senate version of the DOD authorization bill (S.1438) is now being "pre-conferenced" by the House and Senate Chairmen and Ranking Members of the Armed Services Committees: House Chairman Bob Stump, House Ranking Member Ike Skelton, Senate Chairman Carl Levin, and Senate Ranking Member John Warner.

What this essentially means is that two senators and two congressmen will decide within the next three days whether the government will be able to seize your military firearms, magazines, and gear.
Time for the final push folks... No more time for snail mail on this issue. Faxes and phone calls are our final hope to kill this legislation.

Senator Carl Levin:
Washington Fax # (202) 224-1388
Washington Phone # (202) 224-6221
Lansing Fax # (517) 377-1506
Lansing Phone # (517) 377-1508

Senator John Warner:
Wash. Fax # (202) 224-6295
Wash. Phone # (202) 224-2023
Roanoke Fax # (540) 857-2800
Roanoke Phone # (540) 857-2676

Congressman Bob Stump:
Wash. Fax # (202) 225-6328
Wash. Phone # (202) 225-4576
Phoenix Fax # (602) 271-0611
Phoenix Phone # (602) 379-6923

Congressman Ike Skelton:
Wash. Phone # (202) 225-2876
Jefferson City Phone # (573) 635-3499
E-mail: [email protected]

Link Posted: 10/26/2001 9:28:40 AM EDT
[#1]
sombody PLEASE tack this up top!
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
UPDATE...

Section 1062 of the Senate version of the DOD authorization bill is now being "pre-conferenced" by the House and Senate Chairmen and Ranking Members of the Armed Services Committees: House Chairman Bob Stump, House Ranking Member Ike Skelton, Senate Chairman Carl Levin, and Senate Ranking Member John Warner.

What this essentially means is that two senators and two congressmen will decide within the next three days whether the government will be able to seize your military firearms, magazines, and gear.
Time for the final push folks... No more time for snail mail on this issue. Faxes and phone calls are our final hope to kill this legislation.

Senator Carl Levin:
Washington Fax # (202) 224-1388
Washington Phone # (202) 224-6221
Lansing Fax # (517) 377-1506
Lansing Phone # (517) 377-1508

Senator John Warner:
Wash. Fax # (202) 224-6295
Wash. Phone # (202) 224-2023
Roanoke Fax # (540) 857-2800
Roanoke Phone # (540) 857-2676

Congressman Bob Stump:
Wash. Fax # (202) 225-6328
Wash. Phone # (202) 225-4576
Phoenix Fax # (602) 271-0611
Phoenix Phone # (602) 379-6923

Congressman Ike Skelton:
Wash. Phone # (202) 225-2876
Jefferson City Phone # (573) 635-3499
E-mail: [email protected]

I just called Carl Levins office and was told that they are NOT GOING TO TAKE OUR GUNS AWAY and they are in the process of re righting the bill and the way it is written is a little confussing. hmmmm "AIN'T THEY ALL"!!!  pg
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 9:45:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Mr stumps office said he agrees that this should be shot down. They didnt say the same thing the other person did she actually said it does include mags, guns, and any thing else military related DO THESE PEOPLE ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON!!! SHEEEEESH  
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#4]
propguy, isn't that generous of them to "not take our guns away."
This provision does not need to be "rewritten," it needs to be OMITTED!!!

Keep up the pressure, because the inch we give up today WILL turn into a mile.

Mark my words!
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
propguy, isn't that generous of them to "not take our guns away."
This provision does not need to be "rewritten," it needs to be OMITTED!!!

Keep up the pressure, because the inch we give up today WILL turn into mile.

Mark my words!

I agree it is pretty UNBELEIVABLE that a couple of phone calls and a couple of different answers!
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I have made my calls Have you? Never surrender!!!! pg
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 10:00:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Will 15 letters, 10 faxes, and an E-mail do???  
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Did my calls.  Noone had anything to say about it.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 11:40:36 AM EDT
[#9]
If you live in Washington State thaen contact Rick Larson's office. Yea, he is a Democrat, but he is also on the Armed Services Committe. I called his DC office a couple weeks ago to let him know where I stand on the issue, I was told that his office had been getting plenty of comments about that section in the bill. Rick Larson looked it over and agreed that it should be struck from the bill.
Now is the time to call, look at the Armed Services Committe and see if your repesentitive is listed as a member and CALL THEM NOW!
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Latest from GOA website...

Senator Carl Levin (D-MI) has tried to hoodwink conservative Senators into supporting his anti-gun legislation. Senator Levin, who is the chairman of the Armed Services Committee, wants to allow the government to confiscate privately owned, military-style firearms. (Note: The bill does allow for private owners to be compensated, but for many gun owners, a meager stipend -- perhaps no more than the cost they paid 50 years ago -- will in no way recompense them for the personal, historic or antique value that their firearms possess.)

Gun Owners of America has been working in the districts of many Congressmen to get this anti-gun language deleted from S. 1438. Because gun owners like you have raised a fuss about this provision, Levin has been forced to offer compromise language. But make no mistake, this compromise will still let the government confiscate privately owned firearms!

Sen. Levin has inserted some "exceptions" into his language in order to assuage conservatives and make them think that private gun owners will be protected. But the exceptions are VERY limited and will not cover all the different ways that individuals have acquired surplus firearms and militaria.

Give them an inch...
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Called in. Here's my results so far...

Called Ike Skelton's office. Gave 'em all my reasons. Person was kind, but them asked what state I was from, meaning since I'm not from Skeltons state, my call really didn't matter. Told them I don't have representation on the SAFC.

Called Bob Stumps office. Gave my reasons. person was polite. She expalined Stumpy was working to get it stricken from teh bill. I thanked her for the Congressmans service under difficult circumstances.

Called Levins office( I had a bad feeling about this one going in) Girl sounded as if she was having a bad day - kinda snotty. Put me on hold FOUR times. Gave my reasons. She SWEARS that there is language in the bill stating items of historical and cultural significance would NOT be demilled. I told her other armed services comittee members were saying differently. Was she lying??? Hmmmm. She suggested I go to thomas.loc.gov to see the language.

I'll keep yas posted.

Get to work. CAll NOW!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 10/26/2001 12:49:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Sen. Warners office - thank you for calling. Click. Hard to say what the reception was.

Oh well - I spoke my piece.

How do Liberals and leftists who "despise the military" get into these positions????

Grrrrrrr.

Link Posted: 10/26/2001 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Its because they despise the military that they get into these postions
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#14]
btt
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 8:37:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I would not just worry about you Mags, guns! after today they can listen to your conversations, go through your email,
and really your whole life without a written court order... we are in a new world, they are thinking about placing cameras on every street corner with face recognition. don't believe me they were just bitching about it on MSNBC...
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 12:37:07 AM EDT
[#16]
btt
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 6:31:16 AM EDT
[#17]
This will give them an excuse to seize all that Lake City headstamped ammo you have packed in those ammo cans.

How about that upper receiver on your AR, looks like it was made for the DOD to me.  Well, there goes the whole AR, regardless of what name is stamped on the lower.

All those mags... gone.

Those BDU's you go hunting in.

And while they are going through your stuff, do you think they are going to leave anything?  

And you guys make the assumption we are going to roll over again on this.

When the seizures begin...  well, there are more  of us.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:26:27 PM EDT
[#18]
When a Bill like the one that we are fighting here is proposed, doesn’t it make you wonder WHY it is written in the first place?

We are talking about a class of weapons that are more functional pieces of historical art than the preferred tools of street criminals and gang members.
Hundreds of thousands, if not millions of law abiding Americans have owned these weapons for generations without incident, yet some in government deem them such a threat, that the only "reasonable" thing to do is to criminalize their possession.

The Bill makes no provision for the owners of these weapons to be notified that their lawfully owned property is now contraband, and it would not provide for any meaningful compensation for those who did come across the information, and were inclined to surrender their property. The Bill dosen't even spell out the means or the method by which it would be enforced should it become law!

The question that lingers then, is why do politicians write laws that are illogical and next to impossible to obey, comprehend or even know about???  

The answer to this question can be found in Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand, when Dr. Ferris says to Hank Rearden...

Did you really think we want those laws to be observed?... We want them broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts that you're up against-then you'll know that this is not the age for beautiful gestures. We're after power and we mean it.
You fellows were pikers, but we know the real trick and you'd better get wise to it. THERE'S NO WAY TO RULE INNOCENT MEN. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.
Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But pass the kind of laws THAT CAN BE NEITHER OBSERVED, NOR ENFORCED, NOR OBJECTIVELY INTERPRETED, and you create a nation of law-breakers, and then you cash in on guilt...

GUN CONTROL... It has more to do with CONTROL than it has to do with GUNS!!!

Link Posted: 10/28/2001 11:39:06 AM EDT
[#19]
how about a sample letter so idiots like will know what to send...

Link Posted: 10/28/2001 1:04:12 PM EDT
[#20]
btt
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 1:42:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Cluster, check out www.nraila.org/ThingsUCanDo.asp?FormMode=Detail&ID=6.
While this is not a "sample" letter, it is a very good guide to properly and effectively communicating with your elected officials.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:17:18 AM EDT
[#22]
It is Monday morning folks, and the offices of our Congress and Senate critters are open for business.

Time to hit them with our faxes and phone calls.

IT IS NOW OR NEVER!!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:31:41 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

How do Liberals and leftists who "despise the military" get into these positions????

Grrrrrrr.

Hey, g-man! They throw away our votes (military) of course!

Don Out
AIRBORNE!
2/505 PIR
H-MINUS

" We're paratroopers, and THIS is as far as the bastards are going!"   Unknown 101st Paratrooper, Bastogne, 1944.

Link Posted: 10/29/2001 2:46:07 PM EDT
[#24]
So...  How did it go today?
What kind of responses did our blitz get???
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 11:38:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Military weapons? Sho' ain't got none, boss, no suh...

I's a'gwyne to do whatever the nice guvmint men tells me, yes indeedy...
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#26]
???
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 10:20:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Over the last few days, I've talked to the offices of my senators and two of the congressmen.  All of the staffers were VERY aware of the "demil" section.  All agreed that the retroactive provision was unfair and would work to remove the demil section.

Keep the pressure on....

SRM
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 1:41:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Cluster, check out www.nraila.org/ThingsUCanDo.asp?FormMode=Detail&ID=6.
While this is not a "sample" letter, it is a very good guide to properly and effectively communicating with your elected officials.

Good luck.

Thanks   NYPatriot

thats along the line of what I needed...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top