Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2001 6:41:47 PM EDT
walther P99 9mm or 40. and why
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 6:47:07 PM EDT
I have my SW99 in .40 and have no regrets. I generally believe bigger is better, but it's really more about what you're comfortable with. 9mm ammo will be cheaper. .40S&W delivers more kinetic energy.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:10:51 PM EDT
i fired both before buying my .40. i went with the .40 becuase i personally feel a 9mm just isn't up to the job for self defense.

For plinking the 9mm was cheaper to shoot and also i'd give it a slight edge in the accuracy dept. probobly due to less recoil.

Either is a good choice but for self defense the .40 would be a MUCH better choice. Like a buddy of my says " a 9mm is a 45 set on stun."

mike
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:15:04 PM EDT
ALWAYS GO WITH THE BIGGEST CALIBER IN SELF DEFENSE SITUATIONS.

I personally prefer .45acp for it's sheer knock-down force...so if for some reason I hit them in the arm/leg (not intentionally, for sure) they will "feel it."

Therefore, go with the .40...it's a good round. 9mm is better than nothing, but I wouldn't choose it as a primary defense caliber.

As Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch has said, "When it comes to busting caps to save your life, you'll be thinking 'Why the hell don't they make a bigger gun?!?!?!'."
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:32:25 PM EDT
It depends on what your going to do with it. Is it your only gun? Used for carry or just fun? The 9 is cheaper to shoot the 40 suposably is a better man stopper (I am yet to be convinced) yet with the 9 the the right ammo like corbon 115's it's no slouch in the defence department. I am a beliver in practice and shot placement not caliber. If you could get hicaps that would be a plus for the nine. I purchased A p99 40 and had it for a couple months it was interesting but I took it back and traded it for another Glock.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:21:05 PM EDT
I guess I'm the only one who got the 9MM verison. Two reasons I got it. The first thing was that the .40 was not available. The second reason got it after I found out that the P99 mags can take the P88 compact mag with a slight sticking out of the pistol.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 2:51:58 AM EDT
9mm - Cheaper ammo so you can shoot more. 16 round mags. Most people shoot more accurately with a 9mm. If you want more knock down power you load with +P+ Hydrashoks or +P+ Rangers.

The .40 is fine too if you can afford the ammo.
12 round mags. It just seems that the guys with the .40 pistols don't shoot them as much. I have one and I don't shoot it at all.
Top Top