Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2001 12:19:04 PM EDT
1.) I cant use a single action pistol
(le cry) no 1911's in my Dept.

2.) I can shoot great with both my G21C and a
1911. (but I sold my 1911 to buy my G21)
I couldnt afford to buy the G21 so I had
to sell

3.) I want a Wilson CQB in OD green.

back on topic
4.) Since I picked glock over other double
action pistols I am happy with it. I can
hit my target

5.) Glock holds 10 or 13 in mag comparied to 7
or 8 in a flush fit mag. (not counting the
widebodies)

6.) Sigs feel wierd in my large hand.

7.) Ill post more as I think about it.

BURN
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 12:24:18 PM EDT

I like the single stack grip more than the double stack.

I also want a Wilson CQB in OD green.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 12:24:23 PM EDT
All good points, if it fits you and you can shoot it accurately, more power to you.

Glock vs. anything arguments are useless because a pistol is an exceptionally personal choice to due different grip sizes, trigger pulls, DA/SA/DAO/Glock actions, funky lever things on some DA autos, etc.

I *wanted* to like the Glock, and the 21 actually fits my hand but the trigger is awful and the balance is off for me (too top heavy.)

I'll take an old S&W revolver over anything else.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 12:30:10 PM EDT
8.) WARNING If left out in the sun too long the grip will melt!
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 12:41:04 PM EDT
I want Larry Vickers to build up my Springfield .
Can't afford it timewise or cashwise.
C'est la fee.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 1:08:39 PM EDT
I like both the Glock and the 1911’s. I shoot and carry both. The 1911’s point a little better, but I shoot slightly higher scores with the glock. If could change one thing from each “in stock configuration” I would change the glocks trigger, and the 1911’s capacity.

Don't really know which one I'd rather be "stuck" with. The loaded one I guess.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:05:12 PM EDT
One of the reasons I like the 1911 over a Glock is that if the firearm is taken away from me (however that happens), there are multiple safeties.

Research has shown (also reported by Massad Ayoob from Lethal Force Institute) that people unknowledgeable with firearms can pick up a double-action only gun (whether revolver or Glock type semi) and instantly fire it. However, the 1911 safeties took them an average of 12 seconds to figure out.

Call me stupid...but 12 seconds is an eternity in a gun fight.

All that said, I think Glock makes a very solid firearm. They're just ugly as hell and I can't bring myself to buy one. WHEN I DO, it will most likely be their single stack .45acp (model 36?).
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:18:15 PM EDT
Those external safeties also cost "YOU" time in an actual time of need. Only the most seasoned and experienced veteran shooter can accomplish the task of "flipping levers" and aiming, and pulling a trigger, in a life and death confrontation. There is no better pistol than a double action only type for combat use. I know this upsets some of the hard-core 1911 fans, but it is fact. I like the 1911 myself, but will stick with the ole Glock to defend my life.

Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:36:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LAcop:
Those external safeties also cost "YOU" time in an actual time of need. Only the most seasoned and experienced veteran shooter can accomplish the task of "flipping levers" and aiming, and pulling a trigger, in a life and death confrontation. There is no better pistol than a double action only type for combat use. I know this upsets some of the hard-core 1911 fans, but it is fact. I like the 1911 myself, but will stick with the ole Glock to defend my life.

I'm not even that good a pistol shot but I can bring my 1911 out of its holster & drop the safety by the time its in line to shoot, just as fast as a Glock. the 1911 has the best ergonomics of any pistol in history IMO. If you are used to the grip safety, then you learn your grip accordingly & grip it automatically. The thumb safety is perfectly positioned to drop as the gun is unholstered. I would take it over a Glock any day.

Besides, we all know that the Police department doesn't know how to shoot handguns anyway

Just kidding, your probably a lot better with a pistol than me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 10:23:43 AM EDT
I heard that police HK squeezecockers have never been turned against their owners by criminals. The Glock is a great newbie gun, which is why so many police departments use it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 10:59:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 2:08:41 PM EDT
I got the glock because I wanted the toughest
45 acp out there I had never wanted a glock but I had the cash and it was glock,smith or firestar (what the dealer had) he said take it in the range and shoot it I did and still have the smile on my face I have since got 3 other glocks and the only reason I ever got a 1911
is to shoot reloaded lead ammo in and the fact that I had just traded a old revolver for a BUNCH of shooting star mags the glock is a tool its function is to launch bullets and to do it in a reliable manner........nuff said
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 3:08:28 PM EDT
I've got a Glock 21 and a ParaOrdnance P14-45. The P14 holds one more round than the Glock.

Both have almost exactly the same trigger pull.

It's a toss up between these two. 8 rounds in the M1911A1 vs 14 rounds in the G21 is too much to give up, but if you don't trust the Glock's lack of safeties a good P14 works for me.

They both go to the range most days.

I just picked up a Taurus PT145 which holds 11 rounds of .45ACP is a very compact pistol. I think the titanium version of this is dead for now. Long, fairly robust trigger pull, but I was hitting bowling pins quite well with it last Sunday once I found the point of impact. Striker fired double action similar to Glock, but has second strike capability (the reason for the harder trigger pull). Found out after reading the manual that it has a positive safety too. Didn't even notice it at first.

Progress is creating lots of nice pistols. Only took Glock 70 years to improve on the M1911 though and he used Browning's barrel locking like almost everyone does these days.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 6:03:08 PM EDT
I like and own them both, but this is the way I look at it 1911 are fun to play with but for serious work the Glock wins hands down.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:43:31 PM EDT
I tried to like Glock pistols but just couldn't get used to the fell of the grip. I tried the model 17 (2 times), 19 and 26 but while they were all excellent pistols I couldn't get used to the grip. To me it feels like I'm holding a 2x4 in my hand. My first pistol was a Colt 1911 Government model and today I have some Colts, SA and Kimbers in the safe while I got rid of the last Glock last year. Nothing feels better in my hand or shoot as well as my 1911 pistols.

I have to admit Glocks are excellent pistols... just not for me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:49:58 PM EDT
Everyone on this board should own both. A working knowledge of two of the best defensive pistols may save your life one day.
I would feel fortunate to have either in a gunfight.

Live Free
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:47:16 PM EDT
how many 1911 KB's have you heard of?? Ok not very many ... Try this .. How many accidental discharges with a 1911?? mmmm not to many!.. Maybe glock is missing something here
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 5:03:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By paterpk:
how many 1911 KB's have you heard of?? Ok not very many ... Try this .. How many accidental discharges with a 1911?? mmmm not to many!.. Maybe glock is missing something here

Your theory is flawed.

The kabooms are going to be related to two things. Double powder charges are potentially dangerous in any pistol. Or the use of lead in Glocks without proper cleaning. This is due to the style rifling in the barrel. It is this rifling that gives the Glock usually a 10% velocity increase over pistols in the same length barrels.

As far as AD's go, you are more then likely going to get one from a 1911 format. The single action trigger has better odds of being inadvertently being pulled then the DA only of the Glock. This is the reason a lot of LEO departments require the DA style pistols.

If you like one pistol over another fine. But to try to make one sound better by posting flawed info doesn't help your argument.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 5:44:32 PM EDT
My second choice behind a 1911 platform would be an N frame Smith in 10mm, .40 or .45, both with full moon clips.

That should satisfy the double action rules and still give a cocked single action capability for precision requirements.

(Just though I'd see if that thingy worked :))
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 8:07:01 PM EDT
Vagunnut... check the stats on the ad ... it will surprise you!
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 11:29:40 PM EDT
I started with a 1911 in the Army, hated it. Bought one because it was cheap, sold it for a profit. Got an N frame 45LC, loved it, wife let it get stolen (that's another story) Got another SW 45LC, couldn't get it as smooth as the first one, traded it for a Springfield 1911, tricked it out, love it. Along comes Glock 22. Hi cap, had to have one, G21 too big. Became a .40 fan, G22, G23, G27. Had to have another .45 so I got the G30. Got the hots for a G35 but keep investing in AR-15's. Like the Glocks for carry, 1911 for accuracy. Both have their place in my case.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:58:18 AM EDT
This is a timeless arguement, I'm partial to the 1911 but pick whatever works for you. Nobody looking down the business end of a pistol gives a flying damn what type it is.....
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 12:08:40 PM EDT
You're right. Look how long the 9mm vs 45acp debate went on. Also, when you're on the receiving end of a weapon, the only thing you can hope for is...it won't fire. Anyway, there's a lot of good informatio9n that comes from these little debates. The bigger question is what round is the best, not what pistol is. Even that's up for debate. I like my handgun caliber to start with .4, but a 44 mag isn't my idea of the best defense round. Some would argue that. I am a Glock fan. However, a tuned 1911 is a masterpiece to shoot. Too heavy for me to want to carry, but that's debatable too.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 12:42:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ECS:
This is a timeless arguement, I'm partial to the 1911 but pick whatever works for you. Nobody looking down the business end of a pistol gives a flying damn what type it is.....

Unless of course it happens to be a Lorcin, or Raven .25.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:04:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Shazbat:

Originally Posted By ECS:

Unless of course it happens to be a Lorcin, or Raven .25.

Hehehehehe..Now that's funny !!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:43:15 PM EDT
Excuse me, since when is a Glock a double action? Try dry firing it and see if you can pull that trigger again.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:49:48 PM EDT
9.) The look on my father-in-law's face when I'm done cleaning my Glock before he even has his 1911 taken apart...priceless.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:51:51 PM EDT
I would take a P-99 over a glock anyday. And so would most people!
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:53:18 PM EDT
I'm a 1911 fan myself. I can't say whether I like shooting the glock or not, since I never shot one, but I have shot a 1911 and it is nice. it fits my hand good, but the most important thing to me is the trigger pull. Nice and easy on the 1911. I fired a Barreta 92F and a Keltec P11 (both are DAO). Didn't like either of them. Anygun is better than no gun in a gun fight, but I'd take a 1911 myself.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 4:06:06 PM EDT
I own both, but I always find myself going to my Glock 21. It is a dream to shoot, and is more accurate than my Combat Commander. If I had to choose, it would be Glock!!

Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:39:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By slowhand:
I would take a P-99 over a glock anyday. And so would most people!

Not me.
Top Top