Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2001 3:49:45 AM EDT
I'm gonna be buying a Ruger 10/22, and like most of us here, I won't be able to leave it stock.  What barrel and stock should I get, I'm leaning toward the hogue overmold and the Butler Creek carbon wrapped barrel.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 3:58:32 AM EDT
[#1]
All comes down to how much you want to spend. I have two with the BC fiber barrels, they shoot very well, just under MOA.  I've one Houge stock,and like it, but it needs a cheekpiece to get the comb high enough for a scope.  You'll need a trigger...the stock ones are horrible.  I've one Volquartsen unit, $180, fairly good trigger.  The next 10-22 I build up will use a Shilen barrel, I think.

www.rimfirecentral.com/
Edited to add the link...go there and go nuts.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 5:33:38 AM EDT
[#2]
i too am considering a 10/22 project.  i've done a lot of researching on the topic.  this is the set up i'm thinking of throwing together:

optics:  simmons 44 mag 6.5x20 (midway october special $89)

stock:  barracuda from mike turner at turner customs ( www.turnercustoms.com   around $250 )

barrel:  probably a volquarsten thm tension barrel (with the cantilever scope mount)  www.ontargetguns.com/barrels.html   around $200

as a side note, i've read a lot of bad things about the bc (butler creek) polymer barrels (just do a search on them at www.rimfirecentral.com)

good luck, sloth
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 5:50:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Any particular reason for reworking the gun other than just a tinkering project? I've had a couple of 10/22s accurized by CPC www.ct-precision.com for relatively little money as compared to the doo-dad stuff ($173 for a complete package including return shipping, turn around is FAST). Accuracy is outstandingly on par with the various add-on barrels and the gun's light weight and trim handling characteristics are maintained. Get the B-Square mount for your scope. It costs more than the Weaver TO-9 for which everyone seems to have a fondness, but it offers more mounting options and is stronger made.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Hogue stock and the Butler Creek carbon lightweight barrel on my 10/22
.  I love it!  My favorite squirrel gun.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Decked mine out with Volqartsen goodies-gotta like the technoweenie parts, and the squirrels in the back forty have been awfully quiet lately.......
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#6]
The most bang for the buck barrel will be green mountain.

As for the stock, that's personal perference.
YOu cant go wrong w/ Fajen or B&C.

Check info on rimfirecentral.com.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#7]
slt,

I have a stainless ruger 10/22 with Volquartsen trigger, stainless Kimber of America heavy barrel (bead blasted), extended mag release, thumbhole stock (looks like the fajen midnight stock), BSA 3-9-40 scope, and rings (can't remember what brand though). Trigger is nice and smooth. $500 or make me an offer..

It's a very nice gun.. I'm selling to build up something else.. I'm looking for a USP 9, 9mm preban complete upper, stripped RRA,DPMS or Bushy lower.

thanks,
    hawkin
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Ruger 10/22T                -  $300
Volquartzen Fiber barrel    -  $200
Volquartzen Compensator     -  $ 60
Volquartzen HTS             -  $100
Tasco 2x7x32 target scope   -  $ 50
Cantilever scope mount      -  $ 25
Condor mfg 25 rnd mags      -  $ 40

Putting 25 rounds all in one hole - Priceless.

Actually, I picked this thing up used, with everything already installed, for $350
Only complaint... the trigger doubles every once in a while.  I have never felt any trigger so light.

Link Posted: 10/26/2001 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I have had many 'kitted up' 10/22s. My current, and possibly last is very simple. It has a Hogue heavy barrel that was around $100, a trigger job (no extra parts, just rework), a nice thin weaver rail with big thick weaver bases and a nice 6x42 scope, and the original stock, with the barrel band area removed, and the barrel glass bedded and the receiver fre-floated. It's solid, reliable, and drills ragged holes all day long at 50 yds with Fed Gold Match and PMC Target rounds. I love it. Oh, plus when I redid the stock, finished it clear, which gives it a nice blonde look. Actually, if I ever get another one, I might just do it up the same exact way - like twins.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 9:14:16 PM EDT
[#10]
What's 'ya want to do with it? I turned mine into an ultra-light rifle with the lightest synthetic stock sold by Brownells, a short and light carbon barrel and looking to get a Tasco red dot to top it off.

My next one will be a heavy barrel chin rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top