Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/20/2001 8:29:21 PM EDT
Hey all.  Now that I'm getting more interested in guns (I'm sure Brouhaha likes it,)    I want to invest in my very own rifle.  I kinda "own" an SL-8 that Brouhaha bought for me.  The only thing is, it has iron sights and I'm getting frustrated.  So, hence the question.  Should I invest in a really good scope or buy another rifle??  A smaller caliber to start off with, of course (I'm working myself up to the good stuff slowly you see...)  I don't want to fear the weapon I'm about to shoot because it gave me a bruise or bucked wild.  Any ideas out there in gun land??
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#1]
start with a good ol .22 and work your way up to the larger hunting type calibers.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 8:35:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll second the .22. Have fun and safe shooting.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 8:35:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh geez...I already said she could get a good scope for it...and yes, the iron sights on it absolutely suck.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 8:35:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I also think nice .22 is a good choice.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Get an AR carbine in A4 configuration (flat top) and either put a red dot scope or an optical scope on it.  The .223 does not have enough kick to cause you a problem and it's not only a beginner rifle, but it is a keeper.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 8:39:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I say start with an AR-15. Figure out which configuration suits you and how you'd like it to look. Go study at the old ar15.com and learn about building your own. Or at least buy a lower and then get the upper that best suits your needs. Figure out if you want a flat top or carry handle model with iron sights. Find a scope you like if thats what you want and get it set up with the stock, pistol grip and furniture that overall suit you best. Buy some mags a ton of ammo and practice practice practice. Before you know it you'll be a great marksman(woman) and you'll be having a ball. Putting so much time into your own rifle rather than just buying one will give you satisfaction and a nice hobby. The recoil is minimal and the rifle is cool. Whatever you do make sure its fun, everything else is secondary. Just my .02

Hatebreed
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Posting again to add building it a piece at a time also makes it cost effective!
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#8]
.223 is also a good choice.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmmmmm...  If I already have a .223 H&K SL-8, should get all the equipment for that or start saving for an AR-15?  I know I want one sometime.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:13:29 PM EDT
[#10]
You did'nt say how much $$ you wanted to spend. An AR15 has already been mentioned so I will suggest a less expensive choice.
A New England Firearms Handi Rifle in .223, they are less than $200. They are very accurate & come drilled & tapped for a scope mount. It's a break open single shot & a joy to shoot! I have one in .22 Hornet & it is a sweet shooter!!!

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:16:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:17:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I can't go to wild.  I'm tryng to keep Brouhaha in check with his gun buying frenzy.  He's an anxious man, you see.  Patience is a virtue he has yet to learn the meaning of.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Well if you "know you want one sometime"  you just answered your own question.  Get an AR.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:31:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Guess I never thought of it that way before. Tips for building my H&K and an AR??

Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:57:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I can come over so you can use my 10/22.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 10:03:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Learn to use a good set of iron sights before you go to a scope!!!! if you dont you will always havbe a problem shooting iron. When your scope fails you it will always be nice to be able to go to the iron.... kinda like when your printer wont work cna you still write a note???
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 10:15:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Get a Rem model 7 in 223 it only weighs 6 lbs has an 18" barrel and will kick his ar's ass all day at 200 yards.  But only if you want to make him look like he cant shoot. somethin light , simple, and well made. works every time. but please try to learn iron sights first.. once you do it makes scopes very easy to use and adjust..pat
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 10:27:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I would go with the Ruger 10/22.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 10:32:14 PM EDT
[#20]
What!!!  You haven't "adopted" one of his guns yet???   I had to buy a second AR just so I could shoot one!!!

I'm guessing  your probably a little beyond the .22 starter gun.  So I would suggest an AR(with a light barrel), or maybe an AK-74 clone (though they may not be overly accurate.)  Or you could just look in his safe, and do what ARlady did...."I'll take that one!"

If you could find a Swedish mauser in 6.5X55, I've heard they are VERY accurate, and have a light recoil, though more than an AR.

Link Posted: 10/20/2001 10:42:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Before you go deck out your new gun will "all the toys"  learn to shoot the dang thing.   I hafta laugh at guys who buy a brand new AR and put fancy smancy optics on the damn thing, then can't hit paper at 100 yards.  I'm like, "what if the battery dies?", and they always say they can just take it off or they have see through mounts.  Then I'm like, "Have you ever used the open sights before?"  They usually crank off a couple, completely missing the target and get mad at me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 11:15:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 3:48:29 AM EDT
[#23]
buy a good used ruger 10/22. infinite number of aftermarket add ons. cheap to shoot.

Link Posted: 10/21/2001 8:32:12 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Jeezus Christ!  Why don't you BORROW one of your B/F's guns, and let him show you how it works?  Why stir up shit with the lads on this site.  Get real.
Sounds to me like you're trolling.  If I'm wrong,my bad.  But I don't think so.

To this, I'll have to respond that you're an asshole raf.  She wasn't trolling.  She only wanted to get others opinions.  If you find this to be a problems, the go sit on a 50 BMG and spin.

Besides, she won't shoot anything more powerful than a .223, and everything I've got is bigger except the HK.

If you could find a Swedish mauser in 6.5X55, I've heard they are VERY accurate, and have a light recoil, though more than an AR.

She won't touch the mauser.  I keep trying to tell her it's weak recoiling, but she's still not ready.

I have a pre-ban Colt SP2 on layaway, so I'm gonna let her get any kind of upper she wants for it and shoot away.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 8:45:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Cant beat a good .22 for cheap practice.  I will suggest that you go for a bolt gun though, makes you think about your shots more. On the other hand, the pistol I learned how to shoot on was a .44 mag. After that you just cant seem to understand when ppl say their gun has a terrible recoil.  Never shot a pistol I thought recoiled uncontrolably.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 8:58:19 AM EDT
[#26]
brouhaha , i think you hit the nail on the head with purchasing another upper.

i too recomend a pistol caliber upper, in either 9mm or 45acp

Link Posted: 10/21/2001 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#27]
I figured I'd gt her a target upper since that's what she really likes to do.  She once shot this guys AR that had a bolt-action type upper on it.  I've never seen one like it, but after you fire a shot, you pull a bolt handle on the left side of the receiver to cycle the action.  She was able to put 10 rounds in the balck at 100 yds with this gun.  Her first and onle 10 rounds, BTW.  I fear she's gonna be kicking my ass in the target shooting dept.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 9:14:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I figured I'd gt her a target upper since that's what she really likes to do.  She once shot this guys AR that had a bolt-action type upper on it.  I've never seen one like it, but after you fire a shot, you pull a bolt handle on the left side of the receiver to cycle the action.  She was able to put 10 rounds in the balck at 100 yds with this gun.  Her first and onle 10 rounds, BTW.  I fear she's gonna be kicking my ass in the target shooting dept.

Go git one uf them that U kan spank Bruhahaha wid!
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 10:03:09 AM EDT
[#30]

I have a pre-ban Colt SP2 on layaway, so I'm gonna let her get any kind of upper she wants for it and shoot away.

Brouhaha-ette,

You need to throw this guy down on the floor and ravage his body!!!  A preban Colt with your choice of uppers, he must love you lots!!!!!  
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Brouhaha-ette,

You need to throw this guy down on the floor and ravage his body!!!  A preban Colt with your choice of uppers, he must love you lots!!!!!  

I'll make sure she reads that one when she gets off of work.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 10:27:18 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

brouhaha: If I offended, I apologize.  Still, I don't think my post rises to the level of "asshole".  Smartass, maybe.  But my sincere apologies to you and brouhaha-ette if I have given offense.

Sorry about the asshole thing.  It just REALLY pisses me off that you assumed she was trolling just because she asked a question.  What's wrong with asking?  If questions like that can't be asked here, then what's the point of this board?
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

brouhaha: If I offended, I apologize.  Still, I don't think my post rises to the level of "asshole".  Smartass, maybe.  But my sincere apologies to you and brouhaha-ette if I have given offense.

Sorry about the asshole thing.  It just REALLY pisses me off that you assumed she was trolling just because she asked a question.  What's wrong with asking?  If questions like that can't be asked here, then what's the point of this board?

i don't think it was so much that she was asking as it was the she was asking.  get it?
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#34]

I kinda "own" an SL-8 that Brouhaha bought for me. The only thing is, it has iron sights and I'm getting frustrated. So, hence the question. Should I invest in a really good scope or buy another rifle?

Doesn't the SL-8 have a rail on it for mounting a scope? If it does and your comfortable shooting the rifle except for the iron sights then definitely buy a scope.
Even if you decide you don't like the SL-8 sometime down the road you can still use the scope on whatever other rifle you purchase.
I've heard nothing but good things about the accuracy of the SL-8 rifles and a scope could only serve to make it easier to get the most accuracy out of it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Brouhaha-ette,

You think so??  I had wondered!

Hey raf, I won't take offense this time because I know that there has been a lot of trouble with trolling.  However, maybe you shouldn't jump to conclusions.  I don't know a lot about guns; I've said it before, most of the time Brouhaha just loses me when he starts explaining everything.  I feel overwhelmed at how much there is to learn.  I'm a History major, as well as an English major, but this is one topic I know I'm going to have to study a little more.

Actually, I can't figure out the iron sights on the SL-8 and being the redhead that I am I don't have a lot of patience.  I get really frustrated.  Maybe I need contacts so I can see the damn target better.  After about twenty shots, (half of which usually miss the target)I get so annoyed I'm not having fun.          At that point I might as well give it up because it all goes down hill after that.  
 Also, about the Swedish mauser, I'm kind of nervous about shooting it.  Maybe it doesn't have bad recoil, but it sure looks like it.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 7:20:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Oh, two other things.  I know that the Sl-8 is pretty much mine.  Also, why do you think I let him put the AR on layaway!!!
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Also, about the Swedish mauser, I'm kind of nervous about shooting it.  Maybe it doesn't have bad recoil, but it sure looks like it.  

looks are so deceiving!    personally i think the short mosin Matt_S has looks fairly shoulder friendly.  yeah right!  if he (brouhaha) says it doesn't have a lot, trust him.  i used to be afraid of mule-kickin' guns too.  just make sure you have a good recoil pad on the buttstock to help absorb the recoil.

this may be really sick, or possibly just a symptom of the gun-addiction disease, but i love feeling the good, hard, solid kick of heavy recoil into my shoulder.  i actually go into withdrawals if i don't have a good bruise on my shoulder at the end of the day.

hmmmmm.  makes me want to take the shotgun out and shoot at flying clay targets.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 5:56:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 8:17:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Hmmm...  Do the recoil pads come in pretty colors??  Just jokin'.  THe only concern I have about that AR-lady, is that what he thinks is tough is mostly likely different from what I think is tough.  I'm not trying to be a flower about it; I just bruise really easily.  I guess that's one of the weaknesses of being so fair.  One tap and I get a knot the size of an egg.Plus, what if I have a weak wrist??  How does that play into the whole scheme of things??  I know when I shoot our MATCH-45, if I shoot it a lot my hand aches for the next two days.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Hmmm...  Do the recoil pads come in pretty colors??  Just jokin'.  THe only concern I have about that AR-lady, is that what he thinks is tough is mostly likely different from what I think is tough.  I'm not trying to be a flower about it; I just bruise really easily.  I guess that's one of the weaknesses of being so fair.  One tap and I get a knot the size of an egg.Plus, what if I have a weak wrist??  How does that play into the whole scheme of things??  I know when I shoot our MATCH-45, if I shoot it a lot my hand aches for the next two days.

You shouldn't feel much recoil in your wrist when shooting most bolt guns.  Mausers are actually designed pretty well.  They generally have very large butt plates that distribute the recoil over a broad area.  The Mosin's on the other hand have a much smaller butt plate, and don't distribute the recoil.

I say you try to shoot the Mauser, just to say you did it.  They really are not bad at all.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the lack of recoil of the 6.5X55 cartridge.  Well, as compared to similar 7.62 cartridges.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Ahh..Mental sigh.  I guess I'll just  have to try the Mauser.  Now if it hurts I know who to come and blame.  Right?!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:07:57 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Ahh..Mental sigh.  I guess I'll just  have to try the Mauser.  Now if it hurts I know who to come and blame.  Right?!!

I reckon I'll hear about it if does.  I think you'll be okay, just keep it tucked tight and listen to Brouhaha and you should do great.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:08:36 PM EDT
[#43]
NO! get the AR first THEN try the mauser
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Explain please!!  Why??  
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Jeezus Christ!  Why don't you BORROW one of your B/F's guns, and let him show you how it works?  Why stir up shit with the lads on this site.  Get real.
Sounds to me like you're trolling.  If I'm wrong,my bad.  But I don't think so.

To this, I'll have to respond that you're an asshole raf.  She wasn't trolling.  She only wanted to get others opinions.  If you find this to be a problems, the go sit on a 50 BMG and spin.

Besides, she won't shoot anything more powerful than a .223, and everything I've got is bigger except the HK.

AAAAAHHHHHHH...I feel the love between you two (RAF and Brouhaha) you two should give each other a big hug!!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 11:00:17 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Oh, two other things.  I know that the Sl-8 is pretty much mine.  Also, why do you think I let him put the AR on layaway!!!

Hell hath frozen over...I never in my life thought I would hear a lady say that something of her man's is pretty much hers.  I'm used to the women saying, "what's mine is mine and what's yours is mine."  There is no pretty much to it.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Hell hath frozen over...I never in my life thought I would hear a lady say that something of her man's is pretty much hers.  I'm used to the women saying, "what's mine is mine and what's yours is mine."  There is no pretty much to it.  

That's cuz I beat her into submission daily
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#48]
I agree get an AR15-type.  You have your choice of 223Rem, 9mmPara, 45ACP, and even 22LR. And if you get the A3 flattop version you can get your choice of iron sights or mount the optics of your choice.  Kind of depends on how much money you want to spend.  Beside 20 & 30 round mag are readily available, with your SL8 I think you are pretty much stuck with 10rd max mags.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 10:44:02 AM EDT
[#49]
My better half had never shot a gun until we got together and the first gun she shot was my M-16.  Now, she first shot it with a 22 Long Rifle Upper but it was the M-16 just the same.  I also let her shoot the M-16 with the 223 in semi and full auto and she honestly doesn't like the 223 in full auto.

She owns three guns now.  The first was a Glock 17, the second was a Bushmaster 20-inch HBAR, and the last is a Taurus 38 Revolver.  I agree that a 22 LR is a great place to start but if you can handle the 223 then that is cheap enough to shoot and is allot of fun!

Heck, I'm just glad that we have so many female shooters that are joining us in these forums.   I'd much rather go shooting with someone that looks better than me then some ugly dude.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 11:58:13 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Explain please!!  Why??  

1) You can always try/get a Swedish mauser later.  
2) You can find a Mauser for under 200, an AR runs from 600 up.  
3) Who knows if and when they decided to ban all evil assault weapons.  
4) .223/5.56 is cheaper to fire than 6.5x55 Swedish ammo.  
5) Finally, AR's are "sooo kewl, dude(tte)!"  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top