Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2017 8:34:49 PM EDT
So seeing the prices of 7.62 NATO I decided to buy online from a shop that reloads these into once fired cases. Seemed okay, knew there were risks but I went for it. Got to the range with it with my M1a, go to chamber a round and *Click" nothing. Try a few more, same thing happens. Then the bolt gets stuck with one in the tube. Finally get it out with some force on the charging handle... This made me suspicious and watched it chamber a round and low and behold.. the bolt wasnt going into battery properly. It seems the cases have not been resized properly if at all, and I can not use these 500 rounds in my M1A. I don't own any other rifles unless I buy and Ishapore 2A I'm considering, but who's to say the rounds will work in that chamber?

I don't have or know how to use reloading equipment. What are my options here? I'm out 200 bucks with stuff I can't use. I contacted the distributor but I don't have high hopes.

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Get your money back.. return the ammo ad defective, and dont buy reman ammo. Honestly.. the money you save is lost when something goes wrong, or on return shipping.

For $200... you could be a lee hand press, a set of lee dies, some powder, primed brass from xtreme... and make match grade ammo for rifle right from your couch.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get your money back.. return the ammo ad defective, and dont buy reman ammo. Honestly.. the money you save is lost when something goes wrong, or on return shipping.

For $200... you could be a lee hand press, a set of lee dies, some powder, primed brass from xtreme... and make match grade ammo for rifle right from your couch.
View Quote
True. I'd love to reload but I just don't have the time. I'm in a very demanding master's program so I guess I'll just shell out the extra cash for now.

Worst case, would doing a chargeback be warranted? What about the ammo? If I cant send it back the only thing I can think of would need reloading gear to pull everything and salvage the components.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:31:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:37:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:45:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't.
Buy.
Remanufactured.

Problem solved, problem staying solved.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Roll your own or buy new manufacture ammo. You can get Hirtenberger for a little bit more and it is sure fire.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:48:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Was it Freedom ammo?  If so, good luck.  I ordered a bunch from them, 17% failure rate and they offered me 5% off my next order.
View Quote
Really?   I've shot over 1000 9mm reman and about 400 38 spec reman from freedom, and I've never had a single bad round, although the accuracy on the reman has not been quite as good as the new.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:32:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Live and learn.

At least it didn't blow up.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Live and learn.

At least it didn't blow up.
View Quote
True. Last time I will try reman.

It was American Reloading based out of Montana. To be fair they shipped it extremely fast and I havent heard back from them yet and I just sent an email last night so we'll see how they respond to it.

Still, my question is unanswered. What can I do with this crap if I'm forced to keep it?

I miss surplus nato ammo
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

True. Last time I will try reman.

It was American Reloading based out of Montana. To be fair they shipped it extremely fast and I havent heard back from them yet and I just sent an email last night so we'll see how they respond to it.

Still, my question is unanswered. What can I do with this crap if I'm forced to keep it?

I miss surplus nato ammo
View Quote
Sell it to someone who reloads AS COMPONENTS. Be clear and upfront on the issues. Prepare to take a loss.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sell it to someone who reloads AS COMPONENTS. Be clear and upfront on the issues. Prepare to take a loss.
View Quote
If they won't take it back and I do a chargeback I'm tempted to get a single stage press myself and reload them with the money I "saved"

I'd have to remove the bullets, drain the powder, resize, then add the powder back and reseat...
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:38:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like the disclaimer on the item says projectiles may be loose or fall out of cases, also primers may not ignite.   Also no returns allowed.

If the price is too good to be true it usually is.  500 rds for 200???

For the same 200 you could have gotten a 320 Rd case of new production German MEN ammo from sgammo shipped.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:35:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Learn to reload your own.  Lots of fun and rewarding.

I shot 220 rds of my .223 reloads today
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:40:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Who made the ammo? I thought I got a deal on 308 ammo last weekend. The guy I bought it from had 2 sealed 50 cal cans of Israeli tz 80 marked ammo I bought for $450. Went on the internet and found out it is shitty ammo. One guy said his gun blew up from it. It's known to have brittle brass that causes case ruptures. Lot number is 10-80.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:40:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Really?   I've shot over 1000 9mm reman and about 400 38 spec reman from freedom, and I've never had a single bad round, although the accuracy on the reman has not been quite as good as the new.
View Quote
Freedom ammo is soft crap. They are low velocity and is worthless for training ammo. Maybe if you're doing run-and-gun on paper targets, but nothing else.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:44:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Looks like the disclaimer on the item says projectiles may be loose or fall out of cases, also primers may not ignite.   Also no returns allowed.

If the price is too good to be true it usually is.  500 rds for 200???

For the same 200 you could have gotten a 320 Rd case of new production German MEN ammo from sgammo shipped.
View Quote
Yeah last time I'll do that. Small amount of malfunctioning primers is one thing, not resizing any of the cases is another. Makes the entire lot worthless
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 3:59:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Update: Talked to the company. Guy was very nice. Hes gonna swap it for 250 rounds of brand new .308 which I'm fine with!
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:27:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You are correct !! ...Don't shoot that stuff, I have 2 cans as well, from way back when. Pretty and dangerous.... you might get lucky and find someone with a 1919 machine gun that would buy it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who made the ammo? I thought I got a deal on 308 ammo last weekend. The guy I bought it from had 2 sealed 50 cal cans of Israeli tz 80 marked ammo I bought for $450. Went on the internet and found out it is shitty ammo. One guy said his gun blew up from it. It's known to have brittle brass that causes case ruptures. Lot number is 10-80.
You are correct !! ...Don't shoot that stuff, I have 2 cans as well, from way back when. Pretty and dangerous.... you might get lucky and find someone with a 1919 machine gun that would buy it.
Guy I know who is a good shooting pal and being shooting rifles for 30 years said it should be fine in a bolt-action.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top