Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2017 7:58:53 PM EDT
In honor of losing my Grandpa in WWII on July 27th, I took the 03A3 to the range yesterday.  He was a Sgt in a rifle squad in the 2nd ID, 3rd IR. Died around St George D'Elle in France.  I know some of you have already heard me say it over and over but I'm proud.  So, sorry to repeat myself.  

Anyways...  It's accurate, it's fun to shoot.  Although I wore one of the past recoil shoulder pads.  My friend shot 8 rounds and was done.  But 5 of them went into practically 1 hole at 25 yards for him.  Well, almost.  It was neat grouping.  And he had a smile on his face.  

He was smiling.

He was sighting in his brand new AR at 25 yards and shot this 5 rounder from my 03A3 using Remington 150 grain soft points.  We were like, wow.  Unless maybe he just completely missed a few times.  LOL.  

Me at 50 yards with M2 ball....

It's been a while since I've had it out to 100, but it always shot good.  Plus it's the only gun I've ever shot at 600 yards......  And was on paper.  

I really wish I could scope the thing without grinding out a stock.  Or buy a repro stock and do that.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:10:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice 50 yd grouping.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:44:38 PM EDT
[#2]
No need to apologize for repeating yourself.  Excellent post.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:00:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want, I know there's a company making 1903A4 repros using original 03A3 actions; Gibbs was one such place but I think they handed off manufacturing to another company...

I picked up one a few years ago, shot it twice and on the 2nd round the (known crappy) replica M73B1 scope on it had a huge chunk of paint fall out inside and obscure the lenses

It was RMAed and replaced with a new/improved version of the repro scope last year, but I haven't had a chance to get it to the range yet to sight it in and see if it's any good...

The repros are C&R eligible, too.

Rock Ridge, and James River Armory both manufacture/sell them now...
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Inspiring post. I just saw one advertised at my LGS and I'm going in tomorrow to check it out. If it's a safe to shoot 03, I'm coming home with it. My Grandfather was a hold out in WWII and wouldn't give his up.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice looking rifle...are you growing the beard out man?
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:15:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I shoot mine every chance I get, got it from my Father-in-Law WWII vet. I honestly do not know how those guys shot that gun day in and day. I'm usually done after about 10 or 15 rounds
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a RR gun built on a Remington receiver. The thing was built with a NOS barrel a looks like it rolled out of the factory this morning.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I shoot mine every chance I get, got it from my Father-in-Law WWII vet. I honestly do not know how those guys shot that gun day in and day. I'm usually done after about 10 or 15 rounds
View Quote
If you do M2 ball, it's much easier on the shoulder.  But like I said, this last time I used the shoulder pad.     A Garand definitely takes a little of the sting out.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:19:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a RR gun built on a Remington receiver. The thing was built with a NOS barrel a looks like it rolled out of the factory this morning.
View Quote
Such a tease.  Making such claims without pics.  

Mine is all remington too.  Other than the Scant Stock is not original.  I bought that a while back.  The top wood is from the factory straight stock.  If it really was from the factory.  I still have the bottom but the scant is definitely more comfy to handle and shoot.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:24:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nice looking rifle...are you growing the beard out man?
View Quote
You are too generous.  I'm way skinnier and less tan than him.  That's my Buddy Ed.  I used to work with him.  

This be me silly:

Just kidding, this is really me, see the difference?  LOL:

Link Posted: 7/25/2017 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:08:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, I had my Sporterized Mauser with me that day.  It has a nice 4x on it and I expected to put 5 holes on top of each other at 50 yards.  Well, I didn't.  My group was almost 3x the size of my 03A3 and I stopped shooting it because the recoil was also harsher.  I should've stuck with it though because I just cleaned it and forgot about fouling the bore.  And I should've put M2 ball through it, it probably would've been more comfy during recoil.  

Mine is a CMP gun and I think my Dad paid $ 425.00.  It was a Greek return.  It's all Remington with the 2 groove barrel.  When I first got it I shot it for groups a lot and I know I was getting around 2-3 MOA with a lot of ammo at 100 yards.  Which blew my mind.  

I always wished I could scope it, but in the end it doesn't really NEED it if your eyes are up to the task.  The sights do seem favorable to eyes that aren't optimal.  It's the only gun I've ever shot at 600 yards and I was hitting the Service Rifle target after I figured out how many clicks I needed.  Which was less than I expected.  I was shooting American Eagle ammo that day and it did well.  

It is quite the gun for 425 bucks.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You are too generous.  I'm way skinnier and less tan than him.  That's my Buddy Ed.  I used to work with him.  

This be me silly:

http://i.imgur.com/mnB4fUj.jpg

Just kidding, this is really me, see the difference?  LOL:

http://i.imgur.com/3u9CE8o.jpg
View Quote
In all fairness i think the only pics i've ever seen of you have a good 2/3rds of your face obscured by the rifle! lol I need to add an 03 to my collection.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Now you need a Krag.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

In all fairness i think the only pics i've ever seen of you have a good 2/3rds of your face obscured by the rifle! lol I need to add an 03 to my collection.
View Quote
As it should be.  I didn't want to scare you.  Here you go, less obscuring.....  Don't say I didn't warn you.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Now you need a Krag.
View Quote
Actually, what I always wanted more than an 03, Garand or any of them, is a 1917.  

You guys, correct me if I'm wrong.  An 03 is a controlled round feed, right?  But somehow smoother to operate than a Mauser.  

The one thing I'm not wrapping my head around is the CMP states in the literature that comes with the 03 when you get one, it states that you can put 6 in the gun by plopping a round in and holding the 5th one in the magazine down.  But I thought that was not a good thing to do with a CRF gun.  Because the extractor is a big long claw, not one like most other guns that have a spring and pivots.......
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Actually, what I always wanted more than an 03, Garand or any of them, is a 1917.  

You guys, correct me if I'm wrong.  An 03 is a controlled round feed, right?  But somehow smoother to operate than a Mauser.  

The one thing I'm not wrapping my head around is the CMP states in the literature that comes with the 03 when you get one, it states that you can put 6 in the gun by plopping a round in and holding the 5th one in the magazine down.  But I thought that was not a good thing to do with a CRF gun.  Because the extractor is a big long claw, not one like most other guns that have a spring and pivots.......
View Quote
It doesn't appear to be a problem with the Springfield.  The Army carried over the magazine cut-off from the Krag.  The idea being you could load the magazine and then turn off the mag and single load the rounds in during battle, keeping the five in the magazine in reserve for emergency use.  Understand the Krag was right after the Trapdoor .45-70, so the Army was still not coming to grips with a repeater at the turn of the centruy.  The carry over to the 1903 shows just how slow Army doctrine can move at times.  

Anyway, it wasn't a problem for the Army to just drop the round in on top of a loaded mag.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 3:14:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You basically push the 6th round down into the mag even though it won't below the feed lips. That way it still rises below the extractor as you close the bolt.
View Quote
Aaaah, good tip.  I didn't think of that.  Thank you.  

Now I'm trying to remember if mine had any play in it when loaded with 5.....  I'll have to look at that.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice 03A3 but how did you wear out a steel butt plate?  I miss my 03's (sporterized 1921 dated, Remington 1903 41' dated, and Smith Corona 44' 03A3) and 1917 (Eddystone 1918).  The 17' you could load 6 in the mag and one in chamber.  Sweet shooting guns.  I bought a Remington 1903 while in high school at a flea market for $235 (82' at an age of 17).  Rifle was made in Dec 41', took my first whitetail with it unsporterized later that year (Remington 150 gr Corlokt).  Did shoot some 03A4 back at Ft Campbell KY as late as the 97'.  Had couple still in the Arms Room along with the M1918A2 BARs, M3A1 SMG, M1911A1s, M1 Garands.

CD
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:39:49 PM EDT
[#24]
That was one of the reasons for wanting a 17.  More rounds.  Plus, if my memory serves me correctly, it always had a bit lighter published weight.  Like in the high 8's.  And the 03's are like 9.  Or something.  I think my A3A3 is in the high 8's though in reality.  I'll have to weight it again.

I was 10 in 82......    We're both getting old.  

Did I say I wore the buttplate out?  It's well worn, it's a CMP gun.  But I wore the PAST recoil pad because I wanted to shoot and not wince.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Inspiring post. I just saw one advertised at my LGS and I'm going in tomorrow to check it out. If it's a safe to shoot 03, I'm coming home with it. My Grandfather was a hold out in WWII and wouldn't give his up.
View Quote
All 03A3 were of properly treated metal.   It was only the early M1903 rifles that might have had heat treat issues.   If it has the A3 on the nomenclature it is certainly good.

Yes the Marine front sight is much thicker.    (From what I've read yes the Marines developed it but most Marines in Ww2 never saw anything but the standard thin blade ).   I have had bad eye days were it disappears.  I wish I had the fat one like my buddy.  He didn't even know he had it but bought the rifle with it.  I'm betting someone put a repro Marine sight on it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:08:11 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't know man, I've heard it said thicker is better for shooting but I feel like that thin sight helps with precision.   It's an easy gun to shoot well.  I wasn't using a rear bag with that group above.  And I've gotten close to 2 MOA with that gun at 100.  All bagged up and prone.  Biggest limiting factor is iron sights at 100.  Basically my eyes.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:05:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:16:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:47:37 PM EDT
[#29]
But why?  Wouldn't some precision help you in a gunfight?  I get that if you have a hard time picking up the front sight under stress, that wouldn't be good.  But it would also obscure your target less.........  Only experience I have is hunting and under stress I did not have a hard time finding the tiny crosshair on the Weaver K4....  And lever gun irons are do able but they can kind of obscure the target more than one might want to.  Although it worked for me on a few occasions.  

Anyways...  I don't find it HORRIBLY small.   Now not being durable to bumps and getting bent, that makes a lot of sense.   I could see the happening more.  But they should've put wings on that thing.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:25:25 AM EDT
[#30]
I carried one for a 10k biathlon (running, not skiing).
Won with it.
Attachment Attached File

That's the trophy.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:21:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Very very cool!!!!  Good job!
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:52:43 AM EDT
[#32]
I also like my front sights thin.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 9:03:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Oh man this gun, so much fun to shoot.  Had it out again today.  It goes WOOF!  But doesn't hurt at all for an '06.    Well, maybe a bit when I went prone today and the top edge in my shoulder......  

This guys' Dad carried one in the Army in WWII according to him.  I believe he made it through the bulge.  But he also carried a Carbine and didn't like it as much.  

For some reason I find this the funnest WWII gun to shoot.  Well, besides the Thompson I shot in Las Vegas.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:09:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If you want, I know there's a company making 1903A4 repros using original 03A3 actions; Gibbs was one such place but I think they handed off manufacturing to another company...

I picked up one a few years ago, shot it twice and on the 2nd round the (known crappy) replica M73B1 scope on it had a huge chunk of paint fall out inside and obscure the lenses

It was RMAed and replaced with a new/improved version of the repro scope last year, but I haven't had a chance to get it to the range yet to sight it in and see if it's any good...

The repros are C&R eligible, too.

Rock Ridge, and James River Armory both manufacture/sell them now...
View Quote
I have a James River Armory restored Smith Corona 03A3 and It's perfect. They did an amazing job, and I have no doubt the Criterion barrel will be lights out. I need to get out and shoot it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 3:35:16 PM EDT
[#35]
You owe it to yourself Joe.  You will be smiling.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:10:38 PM EDT
[#37]
OP thanks for sharing as it brings back good memories of my grandfather.  Although I don't own an 03 my grandfather was also issued one until his unit was converted to MP's in 1944 while in France. Then, he was issued a M1 carbine.  His 03 came with a grenade launcher which I know he carried begining as a replacement in North Africa.  He admitted he used it very little because he served on crew serviced weapons for much of the war.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#38]
He wasn't in the 2nd ID, was he?  I think the 9th IR 2nd ID had MP's....  Or maybe it was the 23rd.  My Grandpa was in the 2nd ID, 23rd IR.  E Company.

And thank you for sharing your memory.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:34:44 AM EDT
[#39]
No he was in a AAA unit in VI Corp but brothers in arms none the less.  Sorry to hear you never got to know your grandfather.  Kinda like my great uncle (12/24/1943) as I remember the stories of him and have several letters from a friend in his squad but everyone who knew him is gone.  Keep shooting that 03 for them all.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Ugh.  We will remember.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top