Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2017 8:57:42 PM EDT
So my new larger safe is now in my garage  (all my safes have been indoors). So i put 2 eva dry units in it but it seems they are only lasting a week before the indicator are showing wet. The door does have a lil slack in it, enough that I know its not air tight. So Im thinking to just add a lil weather strip around the door. Anyone think this would cause a problem that I'm not thinking about?
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:12:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Didn't think any safe is air tight, have had mine in garage for years, run a hot rod on both sides and never had a issue. Was told the theory was the the moisture rises with the warm air and exits the top of the door. Seems ok with me
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#2]
The safe doesn't have a built in outlet. So using a rod won't be easy. Not that I can't make a outlet.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:21:43 PM EDT
[#3]
It should have a small hole pre drilled through the back with a plastic plug installed.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup, went back and found the dang hole. I was looking on the inside for a plug. I just moved the damn thing from the wall and found it. Ok, that answers it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 7:19:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Since you found a plug hole, I would suggest looking into those Peet safe dryers.

I had a rod in my safe for a while, then someone got me one of those Peet dryers as a gift and I like it WAY more than the rod.
When I open the door to the safe, I can actually feel the temperature difference inside the safe... I never noticed that with the rod.  I used to periodically put my hand on the rod to make sure it was even working.

The rod ended up dying on me.  Maybe I just had a shitty one in general, I dont know.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:44:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Well i ordered a peet dryer and it wont run.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a peets dryer. It doesn't make an noise at all. Give at an hour and you should barely feel heat coming out the top tube.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Theres not a fan?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Theres not a fan?
View Quote
No.  It just has a heating element inside.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:02:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Guess I was expecting it to be like the other peet dryers
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:32:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I run two golden rods in my safe that's in the basement.  I keep a digital temperature + humidity gauge both inside and outside the safe, so I can monitor whats happening.  I typically see the inside is 2-3 degrees warmer and about 3-8% lower humidity.

What peet dryer do you guys use?  They look kind of big.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top