Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2017 8:12:56 PM EDT
I've developed a habit of wiping down my slides with Kroil after a field strip cleaning.  

Being that Kroil is really formulated as a penetrator and doesn't have much "staying power" (seems pretty volatile and evaps. relatively quickly), does this really make any sense?

I do know that literally tons of it are made for gun owners each year, so people must be doing something with it...

Thanks for any replies.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Makes no sense at all OP
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#2]
We use Kroil in the Turbine World by the 5 gallon bucket.  We soak the nuts before we use hydraulic wrenches to take them apart.  We also use it on bolts we are using induction heating on.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#3]
what are you wiping it down for?  If cleaning, makes sense. As a preservative measure makes no sense.  After cleaning my guns I give a light wipe on the side with Breakfree CLP as a preservative measure
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:46:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've developed a habit of wiping down my slides with Kroil after a field strip cleaning.  

Being that Kroil is really formulated as a penetrator and doesn't have much "staying power" (seems pretty volatile and evaps. relatively quickly), does this really make any sense?

I do know that literally tons of it are made for gun owners each year, so people must be doing something with it...

Thanks for any replies.
View Quote

You acknowledge it's a penetrant so what's the question. Not really great for storage or a wipedown oil so no it doesn't really make any sense.

Traditionally shooters used it to clean the bore. The old school guys used it with JB bore paste to break in barrels and clean copper.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:40:45 AM EDT
[#5]
if you are asking for protectant (I live on the hot, humid central Gulf Coast of Florida) try Birchwood Casey Barricade (formerly called Sheath)...
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 11:35:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Kroil has its place, just not there. A dozen better choices.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're looking for a light and creepy protective film, Boeshield works great. It's thin, creeps into joints and cracks,and then dries to a light waxy film.

AJ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top