Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2017 7:31:54 PM EDT
Under the rubric of "anything in your armory"....

So, I opened up the two boxes of cases of Hirtenberger surplus military 308. My God. The wood cases it is packed in look like quality furniture. I've seen a LOT of wood cases of ammo and NOTHING compares to the quality of the wood cases these Teutonic obsessive folks made. They even stained the wood, then provided "hinges" for the boxes, and cloth handles on them, and then close them up with steel two steel straps and then...also...a "seal" on them. Only the Germans. These throw-away crates are much nicer than the crap furniture we bought when we were first married!

Enjoy these pics of German quality at work. I mean, my God, seriously?

Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:52:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I was going to say..I've had a few German girlfriends...

I have a bunch of that..Hirt is actually Austrian ammo, Germanic not German..
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#2]
All due respect, but if you know your history, you will know "Austria" and "Germany" are the same. Political borders are just that. Political borders. Nothing more.

It's all about Teutonic mindset.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 7:45:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Zee Germans, over-engineering things since... forever.

My favorite is the WWII ammo cans. German have the handle off to one side so you can carry two in each hand and they don't splay out. That or HK trigger packs.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All due respect, but if you know your history, you will know "Austria" and "Germany" are the same. Political borders are just that. Political borders. Nothing more.

View Quote
I do know my history and I am a native German speaker... They are not the same country although they speak roughly similar languages.. That's why I say "Germanic" rather than "German".
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:49:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I do know my history and I am a native German speaker... They are not the same country although they speak roughly similar languages.. That's why I say "Germanic" rather than "German".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:48:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

+1
View Quote
If you "know your history" you would realize what you are saying is bullshit. Sorry, dude.

Du bist ein scheißkopf

Aber...typische Deutsch attitude.

LOL.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:54:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:17:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you "know your history" you would realize what you are saying is bullshit. Sorry, dude.

Du bist ein scheißkopf

LOL.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Du bist ein scheißkopf

LOL.
"Dude" you're taking this way too seriously. Your point of view that Austria is part of Germany just because they are Germanic countries is simplistic.  Is Switzerland part of Germany just because a large part of Switzerland speaks German (Swiss dialect)?

You can gin up whatever German (Deutsch) comeback you want but the facts are the facts.

I know that as the other poster has clearly stated that Germany and Austria are separate countries but speak a common "base" language, albeit with clear dialect differences. Even within Germany there are dialect differences between north and south. That being said the northern parts of Austria speak Central Austro-Bavarian dialects and the southern parts Southern Austro-Bavarian dialects. Austro-Bavarian differs heavily from high German (central/southern Germany), making it difficult for German speakers of different regions to understand the native population.

History wise, Austria has had a convoluted history as related to Germany. So here are some facts from commonly available sources.

Historically Austria and Germany were united, "in a way", between 1806-1866. Their predecessors were part of the Holy Roman Empire and the German Confederation. In, 1806, when the Holy Roman Empire came to an end there was a very loose and variable confederation of independent German states that loosely included Austria (as the Austrian Empire) as a part of the German Confederation until the Austro-Prussian War of 1866, which Austria lost and was subsequently "excluded" from German affairs. The unification of Germany into the integrated nation state until the beginning of WW2 occurred in 1871. That integration did not include Austria.

In 1867 Austria formed with Hungary as a dual monarchy the Austro-Hungarian Empire (1867–1918). When this empire collapsed after the end of World War I in 1918, Austria was reduced to the main German speaking areas of the empire (its current frontiers), and adopted the name The Republic of German-Austria, with hope of joining the new German Weimar Republic. However the union and name were forbidden by the Allies at the Treaty of Versailles. This led to the creation of the First Austrian Republic (1918-1933). When that political status failed the Federal State of Austria existed between 1933-1938 under a Austrian dictatorship.

In 1938, the Third Reich annexed Austria in the Anschluss. In April 1945 Karl Renner, an Austrian statesman, declared Austria separate from Germany.  This contributed to the Allies treating Austria more as a liberated, rather than defeated, country, and the government was recognized by the Allies later that year.

Since early 1945 Austria and Germany (reunited in its current form) are separate countries, and any combination over history was either very loose or occurred at the barrel of a gun.

Sorry dude, take a chill pill. You really don't know history.

Nonetheless you're correct regarding Germanic emphasis on precision that includes your ammo crates.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I ordered a few crates a couple years ago and almost didnt want to open them.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:21:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Only in GD will a discussion about ammo crates turn into an argument.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Austrians arent really Teutons either. The Teutons were a tribe from Jutland, modern day Denmark...
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 11:39:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Those cases remind me a lot of the 7.62 Port surplus crates, and the HXP .30-06 crates I bought from the CMP years back. Still have a bunch too.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 8:57:08 AM EDT
[#14]
To me, this is more of a sad commentary on how bad things have become quality-wise in the U.S.A., when an old wooden ammo crate is viewed as an item of "precision" manufacture. As consumers, our expectations keep getting lower, and manufacturers keep delivering "stuff" that barely meets those lowering expectations. I guess it's part of "The New Normal" component of Obamunism.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:54:14 PM EDT
[#15]
C'mon... forget the politics.  Enough about healthcare, Russians, and now Germans and others....

Crack that crate open and lets see what's inside.... then we can all meet and go shooting together!  
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 3:05:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Zee Germans, over-engineering things since... forever.

My favorite is the WWII ammo cans. German have the handle off to one side so you can carry two in each hand and they don't splay out. That or HK trigger packs.
View Quote
Yep. The handles are something I wished we had copied for our own ammo cans.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:03:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yep. The handles are something I wished we had copied for our own ammo cans.
View Quote
I agree, excellent job thinking outside of the box, or "can" in this case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top