Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/18/2017 9:06:58 PM EDT
I am looking for a NON NFA configured rifle that can be transported easily i.e. without breaking it down. I have a few AR's including SBR's so I am good on AR's, I am also looking for something different.

Requirements;

Chambered in 5.56mm
Uses standard AR15 magazines including PMAGS(since I have a lot of them)
Can be ready to fire semi auto in the folded position if it folds
Comes with a barrel that is non NFA from the factory (pin and weld ok)
Minimal malfunctions with steel cased ammunition
Minimal malfunctions with shitty brass cased ammunition
Durable with minimal parts breaks (parts kits available a plus)
Don't want to spend a lot on aftermarket stuff right off the bat (want it to be good to go out of the box)

Rifles I have been looking at;

IWI X95
IWI SAR
Steyr AUG (NATO with extended rail)
ACR (basic folder)
SCAR
ARX 100
SIG MCX

What would be added to the base rifle;

Aimpoint or other red dot type sight
Weapon light
Two point quick adjust sling
BUIS
IR laser (in the future)

Leaning towards the ACR or IWI offerings on lower cost on the used side and some of the positive things posted on this site, but I have not ruled out new on any of them. If you have shot/used a few of these especially in and around vehicles I would like your input.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#1]
All good,  but you need to go shoot them and decide which you like. I thought I would love the Tavor, but when I shot it, I was convinced otherwise. Great weapon, but didn't feel right for me. Go to a range where you can rent them and have some fun finding out which you like.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:08:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Armalite AR180
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:33:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Non-NFA is a tall order.

I have a Tavor SAR and a couple SCARs.

Right off the bat. I can say that your personal definition of 'easily transportable'/'covertly transportable' is a significant factor.

Even with the stock folded, a non-NFA SCAR is pretty big/long.

The Tavor is more compact, and I have a covert case to carry it to and from the vehicle that most folks won't immediately associate with "GUN!" (Kinda looks like a small MIDI keyboard case). So, covertly transportable, yes. But if your definition is being able to walk around with it in a pack, it takes a pretty big pack.

You CAN cram a Tavor (and a couple mags) into the Eberlestock Secret Weapon pack (or one of those racquet style covert bags), but requiring 28" of interior length means it's not a small pack.

The most compact ready-to-fire intermediate caliber carbine I've seen are the shorty AKs with folded wire stocks. Those things will fit in a standard, innocuous looking book bag/backpack.

Just figured I'd also mention checking your local legislation about carrying/transporting a concealed rifle/carbine in public with you (if that's what you were wondering about), as some places have laws against it, even if it's not loaded.

I recall a thread a few months back about some SHTF fantasizer walking around Chicago with a taken down AR in a pack. Must be quite some fantasy to think that an AR in 2 pieces in your backpack would be of any use in any real world scenario.

About the only realistic thing likely to happen to that guy (in a city that, IIRC, doesn't even allow possession of 'evil assault weapons' within city limits) is a potentially very long vacation in a small room.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 4:54:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Tastes vary, so try them out beforehand, if possible.  I have an ARX.  The trigger is known for being crisp but heavy (weight varies some); stock sights are functional, but if you are particular about them, you will want an aftermarket setup.  There actually aren't any 5.56 rifles that come in a smaller & lighter package than the ARX.  As an SBR, it is the same size as my SBR EVO.  The bbl is QD.  Pull it off & fold the stock.  Here's a field strip photo:

Relative size comparison:

Botach previously had a sale on them for around $900, which is the best price I've ever heard of.  They normally tend to run around $1200 or so.  But again, sample them first, if possible.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:10:29 AM EDT
[#5]
AUG.

The barrel is designed for easy removal without tools and can be reinstalled in seconds. If you pull the barrel you have a very short OAL to hide.

Plus the AUG is utterly reliable and has spare parts available, if you need them.

AJ
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:34:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I would also put my vote in on the idea of a bullpup.  The very reason I am looking at one myself. Have you also considered K&M arms as an option?  From my understanding, they make bullpups with some real good triggers.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:02:19 AM EDT
[#7]
i did some of this same searching myself. I realized the AR platform is not meant to fire folded, so a Law folder on a pistol or similar just didn't make sense. Didn't have much luck going with this project, so I ended up with a 16" AR in a 5.11 case. it travels well enough, but it's a big bag. looks like a skateboard case but I can carry cocked and locked.

the only things that made sense stayed non-NFA (but i ruled out due to cost) was a CZ BREN with folding brace, MPX with brace, etc. so expensive. I like the idea of a bullpup but have little time behind them, and they are expensive as well.

your requirements are tough.  I ended up with a 10/22 takedown in the truck. small, light, better than a pistol but I understand the caliber limitations. truth be told I'm stopping at the range more than I'm stopping zombies.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#8]
just a comment on the LAW folder for a pistol... there is no release "button" to push needed to close the buffer from the folded position, and can be easily done while while retrieving the pistol... with a 7" barrel around 20" OAL with muzzle device

Link Posted: 6/19/2017 1:56:39 PM EDT
[#9]
You could also consider RobArms XCR-L rifles.  The have a folding stock as well.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#10]
5.56 Galil ace pistol with folding brace is pretty small. I have about 400 rounds through it so far and really dig it. Jury is still out on if the dust cover holds zero or not as I have only had it off twice so far but both times it kept its zero.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#11]
ARXs are recently running in the $900-1100 range and are great rifles.

If you want to spend more the MCX is a great compact package when folded, although mine came with an improperly tightened barrel.

If you want to spend more, the AUG is what you seek.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#12]
The QD barrels are something to consider for further breaking down a rifle to get it into bags it wouldn't normally fit for pure transport purposes.

Someone correct me if I am ill informed but the ones that have QD barrels are;

AUG
ACR
ARX100

Mainly looking for convenience of transport but want to have something very reliable and ready to rock if I have an absolute need, the QD barrels give me some additional transport options that I had not considered.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:46:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Right off the bat. I can say that your personal definition of 'easily transportable'/'covertly transportable' is a significant factor.
View Quote
If you don't want to go NFA or pistol with folding brace, then a bullpup makes the most sense. I vote AUG.
Guns are almost useless with some assembly required. Just removing one from a pack is slow enough.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:45:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you don't want to go NFA or pistol with folding brace, then a bullpup makes the most sense. I vote AUG.
Guns are almost useless with some assembly required. Just removing one from a pack is slow enough.
View Quote
AUG and ARX are both as simple as snapping the barrel in. ACR requires hand guard to be removed.

The pistol is what buys you the time to get the rifle out.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 6:30:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe.
What's that old saying about a barrel in hand or something?
Ready to fire is always the best.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Maybe.
What's that old saying about a barrel in hand or something?
Ready to fire is always the best.
View Quote
And if you're a civilian carrying a rifle around on your person on a daily basis just in case, you've got other problems.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Probably, but USSS special agents are civilians too. 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:09:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

AUG and ARX are both as simple as snapping the barrel in. ACR requires hand guard to be removed.

The pistol is what buys you the time to get the rifle out.
View Quote
Everything is a compromise. With a slightly larger bag it's easy to hide a assembled 16" AUG or ARX with the stock folded, pulling the barrel gets you a smaller bag that looks even less like it would hold a rifle.

I agree that a pistol that's ready to go is better than a rifle that needs to have the barrel dropped in, even if it only takes seconds to do so. When the SHTF seconds feel like hours.

That said, it is nice to have access to the superior hitting power of a rifle reasonably quickly.

AJ
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:04:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Get the MCX, better yet, MCX pistol. It's a solid gun, don't listen to the mindless bitching because of the carriage upgrade.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I would go Tavor. A folded carbine with 16 inch barrel is just to long in my opinion . Now if a folding BRACE on a 10 or so inch barrel is an option....
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:27:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Get the MCX, better yet, MCX pistol. It's a solid gun, don't listen to the mindless bitching because of the carriage upgrade.
View Quote
Took a look at the SBR version today( its the only one on display) Very nice gun!

Same manual of arms as a AR, folding stock and light weight.

I didnt realize the stock folded to the left side however.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:30:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I would go Tavor. A folded carbine with 16 inch barrel is just to long in my opinion . Now if a folding BRACE on a 10 or so inch barrel is an option....
View Quote
Got to check out an X95 and Tavor at the same time today. Very nice, compact and lighter than I imagined.

Trigger was better on the X95.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:59:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Got to check out an X95 and Tavor at the same time today. Very nice, compact and lighter than I imagined.

Trigger was better on the X95.
View Quote
I think it's a flip of a coin. I plan to get one or the other some day
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You could also consider RobArms XCR-L rifles.  The have a folding stock as well.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#25]
I'll second the AR-180 suggested.

Here is an AR-180B on the left and the original AR-180 on the right:

The B is about 3/4 pound lighter than the the original, even with an Ace folding stock and adapter. It's also a better shooter, and not quite as expensive or as hard to find.  It isn't picky about ammo and offers an 18" barrel that is very ballistically efficient.  The AR-180 uses a modified AR-15 magazine (a slot cut in it for the magazine release) while the AR-180B uses any standard AR-15 magazine.

An AR-180B will sell for $700-$800 in very good to excellent condition, compared to around $1200-$1500 for an AR-180 in similar condition.  AR-180 prices vary a bit based on what's stamped on the receiver.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Ok how about a hk53 clone by brethern arms which take ar mags with a sbtactical side folding brace. Would be as short as an arx sbr.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:48:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Tastes vary, so try them out beforehand, if possible.  I have an ARX.  The trigger is known for being crisp but heavy (weight varies some); stock sights are functional, but if you are particular about them, you will want an aftermarket setup.  There actually aren't any 5.56 rifles that come in a smaller & lighter package than the ARX.  As an SBR, it is the same size as my SBR EVO.  The bbl is QD.  Pull it off & fold the stock.  Here's a field strip photo:

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/ARX100_8.jpg

Relative size comparison:

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y393/TATBME/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_3300_zpsxe4rrbbk.jpg

Botach previously had a sale on them for around $900, which is the best price I've ever heard of.  They normally tend to run around $1200 or so.  But again, sample them first, if possible.
View Quote
The ARX is quite small (when SBRed). The bottom AR is a 10.3" barrel, for comparison.
Out of all my 5.56 guns, the ARX is the smallest when folded.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:00:15 PM EDT
[#28]
My vote would be for a Bren 805 (I have the carbine, but a pistol with the new Manticore folding brace would be ideal).    I love my Bren and my carbine has a side folding stock that deploys in a second.  It can be shot folded as well if need be.   Also the Sig MCX Pistol with retractable SB Tactical brace is a great option.   They come in 5.56 or .300 blackout.   The 5.56 MCX has an 11.5" barrel and the .300 blackout is 8".

I have a Tavor SAR and I do love it.  But it is very wide.  Not very concealable in a low profile bag.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 5:24:27 PM EDT
[#29]
15 inches folded.  Will fit in a large purse

Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#30]
There's an underfolding kel tec in 556.  I had one and really liked it.  PLR16?
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 3:20:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Either an X95 or an AR pistol with arm brace (or something similar).
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
AUG.

The barrel is designed for easy removal without tools and can be reinstalled in seconds. If you pull the barrel you have a very short OAL to hide.

Plus the AUG is utterly reliable and has spare parts available, if you need them.

AJ
View Quote
What he said.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 6:46:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/vuGu02j.jpg
View Quote
details please
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 7:29:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:35:36 AM EDT
[#35]
I wish there were more bufferless AR uppers out there.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:36:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
@Modern_Outfitters what handguard is that?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 4:53:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The QD barrels are something to consider for further breaking down a rifle to get it into bags it wouldn't normally fit for pure transport purposes.

Someone correct me if I am ill informed but the ones that have QD barrels are;

AUG
ACR
ARX100

Mainly looking for convenience of transport but want to have something very reliable and ready to rock if I have an absolute need, the QD barrels give me some additional transport options that I had not considered.
View Quote
Add XCR into that.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 11:05:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its our design
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Its our design
View Quote
I like it.  Do you sell a similar standalone handguard?  I checked your site, but both my phone and PC tell me that the "shop modern outfitters" link has aids...

I wouldn't mind using something like that for my future bufferless builds.

Link Posted: 7/5/2017 11:56:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:  And if you're a civilian carrying a rifle around on your person on a daily basis just in case, you've got other problems.
View Quote
Go on.  I often carry a SUB-2000 on my person.  It's particularly handy when I run into a pair of no-handguns signs that has legal force.  And it's a nice secondary to the Glock 23.

OP, when that folding bbl AR comes out, I'm going to take a hard look @ it when I can afford it.  Proprietary upper, rail, & bbl extension, but can side fold to 16", as short as the SUB-2000, but maintain your optics on top.  Can't shoot from the folded position unless you single load & have a hammer handy.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 2:31:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I like it.  Do you sell a similar standalone handguard?  I checked your site, but both my phone and PC tell me that the "shop modern outfitters" link has aids...

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/devtucker/AR-45/IMG_20160922_202657819.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its our design

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/devtucker/AR-45/IMG_20160922_202657819.jpg
Sorry, but its made to interface with our billet upper.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:27:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Had considered this a few years ago.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:28:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My vote would be for a Bren 805 (I have the carbine, but a pistol with the new Manticore folding brace would be ideal).    I love my Bren and my carbine has a side folding stock that deploys in a second.  It can be shot folded as well if need be.   Also the Sig MCX Pistol with retractable SB Tactical brace is a great option.   They come in 5.56 or .300 blackout.   The 5.56 MCX has an 11.5" barrel and the .300 blackout is 8".

I have a Tavor SAR and I do love it.  But it is very wide.  Not very concealable in a low profile bag.
View Quote
Tell me more about the Bren.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:59:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Had considered this a few years ago.
View Quote
Check out the RBD Survival.  With a low profile scope and smaller mag it's very discrete.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 9:31:41 PM EDT
[#45]
One of the M85 ak pistols with ar mag adapter and folding pistol brace.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:58:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Sig 556
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:17:47 AM EDT
[#47]
The AUG,the Tavor SAR, and x95 can all fit in a double wide Wilson tennis racket case for a very concealable and discrete 5.56 rifle.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:38:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Sig 556
View Quote
I thought the MCX was the new hotness?
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:50:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Curious about the possibility of going with an AR pistol with a folding stock adapter?

Build a 10-12" barrel pistol and use a sig brace with a law tactical folder.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:08:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Curious about the possibility of going with an AR pistol with a folding stock adapter?

Build a 10-12" barrel pistol and use a sig brace with a law tactical folder.
View Quote
I don't want to have to worry about unfolding the stock to cycle the action, I want to be able to rock and roll with the stock folded if I have to (not that it would be the best thing). Right now the MCX and the X95 are looking good to me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top