Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2017 9:17:38 PM EDT
I'm not sure where this is most appropriate to be at so I'm posting it here. I have a friend who called me today and a friend of his is selling a mosin. I shot this particular gun a few times a few years ago when the guy who's selling the gun and I happened to both be at a little gun shoot. I wanted it then so he offered it to me first. I got the guys number and called him and he said it's an M44 carbine that was produced in 1944, all the numbers are matching and it comes with the bayonet, sling, a couple ammo pouches, and the oil can. He said he'll take $200 for it. I don't know a lot about mosins, but for a gun with matching numbers assuming it's still in good shape and shoots fine that seems like a pretty good deal. I'm gonna go look at it tomorrow and plan on buying it.

Do y'all who have more experience with these things think it sounds like a good deal? 3 years ago when I saw it, it was in good shape. Who knows the condition now but from what I remember of the guy he wasnt the type to let his guns get all nasty and in bad shape.

Anything in particular I should look for that might determine if it's worth more or less than $200? I figure I can grab it now to play around with and in +/- 5 years flip it for a profit as these guns keep getting more rare.

Is there something I can do to determine the wear and tear the barrel has? Ill ask to shoot it to make sure it's still decently accurate and functions properly. I might make a low ball offer of like $180, but if this is a good deal I don't wanna be "that guy." Thanks for any info y'all can provide.

I went by and saw it this evening and bought it. The gun is in beautiful shape. The stock isn't cracked or nicked anywhere, not a spot of rust. The only places the paint shows anywhere is on the bayonet. The barrel is in good shape, I looked down it and the bore is nice and shiny clean, no nicks dings or rust spots in the threads. The only bad thing is, and I forget the exact terminology, but whatever it's called when they shave metal off and rethread the inside of the last inch or two of the barrel. I don't have a cleaning kit for it so I'll order one for it so I can shoot it. He loaded the ammo pouches with 2 dozen rounds of tula ammo which from what he said super cheap corrosive stuff so I don't want to shoot it and not clean it. I'll take pics and upload in a few minutes
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I paid $190 for my M44 from Aim Surplus 5 years ago. Not sure what they go for now but I can't imagine cheaper than that.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:30:11 PM EDT
[#2]
$200 is a steal. They go for way more than that now. Especially if it is indeed matching (electro pencil matched is not all matching) 
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#3]
$200 is a good deal even if it didn't have matching numbers. 
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:06:52 AM EDT
[#4]
They keep going up in price. $200 is a good deal in the current market.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:13:17 AM EDT
[#5]
200 is a very good deal for a typical refurb import M44 these days.

Electro pencil matching is matching for a refurb.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:16:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Just be sure he took care of the bore. Since most ammo out there for these is corrosive, if you do not clean religiously after shooting, the bore can get nasty fast.

Also see if it is counter-bored. You may be able to knock 20 or so off if it is counterbored.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:09:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd snatch it up for $200 without trying to hassle him over the price. That's more than fair, and the fact he offered to sell it to you first is a good gesture from him.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The last picture is kinda interesting. Theres a serial number printed, but then crossed out and the no. That matches the rest printed next to it. Dunno what that means.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:34:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/459504/image-233838.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/459504/image-233842.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/459504/image-233843.JPG

The last picture is kinda interesting. Theres a serial number printed, but then crossed out and the no. That matches the rest printed next to it. Dunno what that means.
View Quote
It means that it was a replacement. The previous serial number was lined out, and a new one applied.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Like it . Not a big fan of the Mosin but do like this model . Congrats OP
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#11]
What are these going for now?  I paid like $140.00 for one with a case of ammo (880 rnds) a few years back.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:55:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are these going for now?  I paid like $140.00 for one with a case of ammo (880 rnds) a few years back.
View Quote
If you can find one, a M44 is going for about $350.  The thing is it's been well over 2 years since any large amount of Mosins have made it in.  It's possible we may never see any more.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:03:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Look up cleaning after using corrosive ammo,  water and patches then Hoppes
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks. I should have a free hour or two tomorrow to really break her down and clean it good.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:57:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I paid $135 for mine over just 10 years ago. They go for much higher these days.  If I found one for $200 I'd snap it up quick.  That's a good deal.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 7:53:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I paid $27 shipped for my 1944 all matching M44 back in 1999.  It was advertised by Century as a gunsmith special, but it was not only intact, it was all there and perfect.  But now, $200 is good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top