Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2017 10:19:46 AM EDT
When you have an item shipped to an FFL do you call the FFL ahead of time and let them know or do you just ship it and they call you when it arrives?

Does the shipper like buds or a manufacturer provide your contact info to the FFL so they can contact you when your stuff arrives?

What about if you have never used the FFL before would that change anything?

I ask as I am looking at purchasing a few rifles online for the first time as I cannot seem to find them locally.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:32:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless the FFL has a standing arrangement, like a preferred/listed dealer setup with the online seller, you should contact the FFL so they know what to expect, whom it's for and when to expect it. For private sellers, definitely contact the FFL beforehand to see if they'll even accept shipments from non-FFLs, as not all of them are willing to do so.

Unless you've dealt with the FFL before, how do you even know how much they'll charge for the transfer, or if they're even willing to do transfers?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:45:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless you've dealt with the FFL before, how do you even know how much they'll charge for the transfer, or if they're even willing to do transfers?
View Quote
Thats a good question I assumed everyone did transfers so I will have to reach out to the FFLs in my area and see who can and will handle transfers.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:30:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Based on my most recent experiences I WOULD STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU USE THE WEB SITE FFL LOCATOR AND CALL THEM PRIOR TO PLACING YOUR ORDER. Why, you might ask? Well in my particular situation, my business partner up and decided that he no longer wanted to be in the business and closed it out from under me. In the last few weeks I have taken it upon myself to call both the seller and the recipient that they will need to make other arrangements for at least 12 transfers. I could simply have just ignored the emails from Brownells and others and let the USPS, FEDEX, UPS etc sort it out. But, that is not the way I do business. Not the buyer/seller's fault that my former partner is an idiot.

So I say again, do the courteous thing and call the FFL first. Could potentially save all parties some grief.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate the help.

Time to make some phone calls.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I always call the FFL ahead of time and let them know that something is coming in, I also will usually forward them a copy of any Emails I might have from a company to further bring them in the loop.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:46:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Shop around for the best transfer fee. Some LGS jack up their fees to discourage people from doing them, the idea supposedly being people will buy in the store instead.

Dining room FFLs may require you have a CPL.

Always call/text/email ahead of time to make sure they're accepting transfers, verify fees, and give advanced notice.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:57:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Shop around for the best transfer fee. Some LGS jack up their fees to discourage people from doing them, the idea supposedly being people will buy in the store instead.

Dining room FFLs may require you have a CPL.

Always call/text/email ahead of time to make sure they're accepting transfers, verify fees, and give advanced notice.
View Quote
I'm very lucky to have a dining room FFL literally on my 4 mile commute from work to home.  I do so much business with him, that I usually let stuff pile up so I only have to make one transfer.  He charges $15.  

I'm pretty sure I have 2 pistols, a few lowers and a 6920 over there.  Maybe I'll get them today.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I always call the FFL ahead of time and let them know that something is coming in, I also will usually forward them a copy of any Emails I might have from a company to further bring them in the loop.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:40:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Been doing some digging and it's pretty interesting.

My goto LGS charges $35 for a transfer and just requires an email with contact info. I also live near Buds store so I can ship from site to store so I think I will try those 2 and see if that does it.

Thanks for all the help and info everyone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top