Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2017 11:27:31 AM EDT
Recently bought it for $250. From a guy on the range. I always wanted a short m44 style mosin. Noticed the serial number is exactly 1500. Can anyone tell me about it?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Made in 1944 at Izhevsk, that's probably the most common M44 variant in the world. Out of curiosity, has it been counterbored at all?
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Made in 1944 at Izhevsk, that's probably the most common M44 variant in the world. Out of curiosity, has it been counterbored at all?
View Quote
thanks for your info. I s. Not sure about counterbored though. It looks the same inside as the few 91/30's I have seen
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 2:00:32 PM EDT
[#3]
The serial number of 1500 means nothing. The Russians restarted the serial numbers every month so that if a rifle was captured the Germans would not be able to tell how many had actually been made.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The serial number of 1500 means nothing. The Russians restarted the serial numbers every month so that if a rifle was captured the Germans would not be able to tell how many had actually been made.
View Quote
this is the info I wanted! Pretty cool. Thank you. I just like whole numbers so I happen to like the 1500.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 12:34:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Not very rare, but it's a great looking M44. You can check if it's counterbored by checking the muzzle. Unload it and stuff and see if a 7.62x54 round will fit in the muzzle. If it just falls in farther than the bullet should, it's counterbored. You can run a little rod or something down there and you'll feel the "wall" where they stopped boring it out. If it's counterbored, you want it to be counterbored, they do that to bypass damage and make it a good shooter again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top