Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2017 11:49:00 AM EDT
So which one? Looking at PTR 91 to replace my AR.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:03:02 PM EDT
[#1]
On 1. All of the other threads asking the same question did help in your fantasy?
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:37:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Which one will you shoot and become the most proficient at using?
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#3]
It comes down to personal preference, perspectives and anticipations.

I've been down the .308 road and currently have none, but do have a SA Scout Squad on my wish list though, this is after owning Garands, an M1A, a PTR-91 and bolt-action .308's.

But my go-to SHTF rifles are my AR's in 6.8spc, not quite the energy of .308 but far exceeding the energy levels of 5.56 and in the AR-sized rifle. I have no use for 5.56 and have enough 6.8 on hand to last awhile.

But this is based on my personal preference, perspectives and anticipations.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#4]
This is an easy question.

AR in 5.56 all day long.

Lighter, more capacity, shorter, less recoil, carry much more ammo, very common.

As to the above poster who is using 6.8 for his SHTF caliber, I think that is a mistake. It's not a very popular round, and unless you have an enormous stock pile on a giant ranch that you can protect and live on during a real SHTF situation, 5.56 beats it every time. Obscure calibers are a bad choice for prepping. Period.

Get a PTR to supplement your AR, not replace it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 4:07:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is an easy question.

AR in 5.56 all day long.

Lighter, more capacity, shorter, less recoil, carry much more ammo, very common.

As to the above poster who is using 6.8 for his SHTF caliber, I think that is a mistake. It's not a very popular round, and unless you have an enormous stock pile on a giant ranch that you can protect and live on during a real SHTF situation, 5.56 beats it every time. Obscure calibers are a bad choice for prepping. Period.

View Quote
I have considered these things also, I am only losing 5 rounds out of a 30-round mag, the extra power nullifies this negative for me. I consider that where a 5.56 round may not penetrate some barriers the 6.8 will.

The 6.8 case is 43mm the 5.56 case is 45mm, OAL is the same due to mag-well limitations and the recoil difference between 5.56 and 6.8 is negligible. Where 5.56 needs long barrels to achieve it's velocity, it is not the case with the 6.8. The 6.8 is significantly more powerful from a 14" barrel than 5.56 is from a 20" barrel.

If the need arises to disable a vehicle, I'd be much more confident using a .270 caliber with 50% more kinetic energy than the 5.56 to do it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 6:18:34 PM EDT
[#7]
6.5 Grendel AR with a 10.5 inch 5.56 upper in my pack. My Saker 762 will work on them both.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 12:26:11 AM EDT
[#8]
16" .308 for me.

With a 5.56 carbine upper to hedge my bets.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#9]
My 12.5 inch barreled 308 AR is enough for my SHTF needs!
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 7:10:33 PM EDT
[#10]
"METT-TC will dictate" is my standard answer.  I have plenty of 5.56mm carbines but for me, the 7.62 battle with it's harder hitting cartridge at longer ranges is what works for me.  Open country with longer ranges is where the 7.62 NATO round shines.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Living in Liberal South FL, I fully expect to be able to quickly purge all dog-haters from my neighborhood post TEOTWAKI and establish the Free state of Urbanredneck... Truck loads of bitches...Brazilian Bitches!

Yeah, STFU, I reject your reality and substitute my own fantasy.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 1:26:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It comes down to personal preference, perspectives and anticipations.

I've been down the .308 road and currently have none, but do have a SA Scout Squad on my wish list though, this is after owning Garands, an M1A, a PTR-91 and bolt-action .308's.

But my go-to SHTF rifles are my AR's in 6.8spc, not quite the energy of .308 but far exceeding the energy levels of 5.56 and in the AR-sized rifle. I have no use for 5.56 and have enough 6.8 on hand to last awhile.

But this is based on my personal preference, perspectives and anticipations.
View Quote
And what if you lose all that ammo? Or have to leave it behind. You're screwed...good luck trying to find 6.8 in a SHTF scenario
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#13]
The key to any SHTF Scenario are;

Reliable - will it function in the majority of environments you will be in
Common - common parts, mags and ammo. So, forget about 6.5 or 6.8 etc...
Purpose - will it be good for most of the things you need to do with it like Hunting & protection?
Weight - will it be light enough to carry and move with?
Easy to work on - something that wont require much to fix or work on.

The answer for me is an AR15 in 556 with a 22 cal conversion bcg.

G3 type weapon is very low on my list...If I wanted a 308 I'd go for an FAL, AR10 and M14 over a G3/HK91/PTR for the above reasons. I would go for the FAL
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Which one will you shoot and become the most proficient at using?
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#15]
My preference is a 7.62 (FAL), but, I will fully concede that it does take more effort to maintain proficiency with a heavier rifle and a higher-recoiling round. Considering that I've not intention of looking for a fight, the ammunition weight is not much of a hindrance, while better performance against barriers and vehicles would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:02:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

Just dropping this off :D
Love the PTR 91 but it's a heavy sucker, especially with a can, which in my opinion is necessary for SHTF.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:06:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My preference is a 7.62 (FAL), but, I will fully concede that it does take more effort to maintain proficiency with a heavier rifle and a higher-recoiling round. Considering that I've not intention of looking for a fight, the ammunition weight is not much of a hindrance, while better performance against barriers and vehicles would be appreciated.
View Quote
I spend a lot of time in the middle of nowhere desert along the US/MX border.
H&K MR762 topped with a Elcan 1.5-6x is my go to rifle.
I keep 5 extra loaded mags, laser rangefinder, blow out med kit and ear pro in a Maxpedition shoulder bag.
The extra energy at longer ranges more than makes up for the loss in capacity vs. 5.56 out here where you can see trouble coming from several miles away.
The extra weight is offset by the horsepower of the pickup I'm carrying everything around in.

Link Posted: 5/9/2017 4:05:50 PM EDT
[#18]
currently geared up in 5.56, tried the .308 battle rifle route and while I liked it, it became expensive to feed (shooting 100-200 rounds of .308 an outing running carbine drills is painful!)

now that I popped my NFA cherry I am considering another .308 battle rifle. waiting to see how the gen 2 dpms offering holds up. I would love to get one of those and sbr it with a 12.5-13.5" barrel. top it with a quality 1-6 optic, screw on my suppressor and it would be the perfect hammer in my set of tools.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:34:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Someones FAP fantasy thread.

I have an suppressed M1A scout set up with a 2x optic for this scenario.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:55:00 PM EDT
[#20]
A ptr 91 is a solid choice.   Great rifle.  Solid and reliable. Accurate.  There are a lot of great rifles out there.  Fanboys of every type. Rightly so .  I'm a fanboy of a few myself.  Wardawg
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:59:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Living in Liberal South FL, I fully expect to be able to quickly purge all dog-haters from my neighborhood post TEOTWAKI and establish the Free state of Urbanredneck... Truck loads of bitches...Brazilian Bitches!

View Quote
Are you currently interviewing for Lieutenants?

I could send a resume.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 12:31:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Are you currently interviewing for Lieutenants?

I could send a resume.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:59:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
currently geared up in 5.56, tried the .308 battle rifle route and while I liked it, it became expensive to feed (shooting 100-200 rounds of .308 an outing running carbine drills is painful!)

now that I popped my NFA cherry I am considering another .308 battle rifle. waiting to see how the gen 2 dpms offering holds up. I would love to get one of those and sbr it with a 12.5-13.5" barrel. top it with a quality 1-6 optic, screw on my suppressor and it would be the perfect hammer in my set of tools.
View Quote
No more projects! Finish the 260 and what not
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No more projects! Finish the 260 and what not
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm suddenly interested in moving to South FL.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:25:24 PM EDT
[#26]
AR 5.56 1-4x for me. My goal is to avoid a fight. If I come under contact. High volume of fire and break contact. I'm not try to stick around and get shot closing on an enemy or sticking around taking long range shots at people.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:13:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Both
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Whatever works for you.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:18:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
These are definitely fun little SBR's, mine is only wearing a 1-4 tho.

Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:48:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Get both.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#31]
SHTF stay at home?  Or SHTF pack up and leave, not knowing when you'll be back or if there'll be anything worth coming back to?

For about 25 years I had no use for an AR15.  I had my M1A.  Didn't need anything else.  Killed some big deer dead as hell with one shot every time.

But, you have to answer some questions yourself.

Again, stay at home where your food/ammo/shelter is located, or pack up what you can and leave?  Makes a difference.

If you leave, what caliber are you most likely to run across on the journey, whether by accident or good fortune (meaning you survived a fight)?

I could be wrong, never having been in either situation, but once again, if you'd need spare parts which rifle are you most likely to have success with finding what you need - or trading for the parts?

If you were to get in a fight you either survive it or you don't.  If you survive it you may have time to wait, or not, before moving on.  If you have the time to wait is it better to wait and let the other guy(s) bleed out, or get up and move around (so you can pop them again - they've already proven to be dangerous or you wouldn't have had to shoot them - right), before you go look to see what they don't need anymore that you might need.  If this happens, what ammo are you more likely to pick up?  If you have to keep running ASAP what ammo/rifles they had won't matter.

As much as I like my M1A, if I have to leave and can only take one rifle it'll have to be an AR15 (I'll hate to leave my 1911(s) behind, too, but again, I'm more likely to run across 9MM ammo on the trail.

Now, let me spend a few seconds praying it never happens, to me, or mine.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 2:09:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If you leave, what caliber are you most likely to run across on the journey, whether by accident or good fortune (meaning you survived a fight)?

I could be wrong, never having been in either situation, but once again, if you'd need spare parts which rifle are you most likely to have success with finding what you need - or trading for the parts?

If you were to get in a fight you either survive it or you don't.  If you survive it you may have time to wait, or not, before moving on.  If you have the time to wait is it better to wait and let the other guy(s) bleed out, or get up and move around (so you can pop them again - they've already proven to be dangerous or you wouldn't have had to shoot them - right), before you go look to see what they don't need anymore that you might need.  If this happens, what ammo are you more likely to pick up?  If you have to keep running ASAP what ammo/rifles they had won't matter.

As much as I like my M1A, if I have to leave and can only take one rifle it'll have to be an AR15 (I'll hate to leave my 1911(s) behind, too, but again, I'm more likely to run across 9MM ammo on the trail.
View Quote
Actually one good reason I like my 901 as a SHTF battle rifle. I prefer .308 given all the flat country and wide open areas with long sight lines in all directions around me. But if the need ever arose, the 5.56 conversion kit weighs next to nothing and is no issue to take along. If it came down to it and I could only find 5.56 and survived a fight and was running low on .308, there's nothing stopping me from cannibalizing the upper and magazines from any dropped milspec AR-15/M16/M4 or HK416 and using 5.56 for a while. Also can pull almost any spare parts needed off of a regular 5.56  AR lower instead of praying I come across an AR-10/SR-25 platform weapon.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:01:13 AM EDT
[#33]
AR15, no question about it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:01:54 PM EDT
[#34]
What kind of shape are you in? You better be in beastly shape if you have to walk anywhere in shtf with a 7.62. I compete in run n gun biathlon events down here; 5 miles of running/ shooting with nothing but a rifle, pistol, ammo and water. And I can tell you I'd be MUCH slower carrying 120-160 rounds of 7.62 and a battle rifle vs 5.56 in an AR-15.

Really opens your eyes how much more difficult everything would be with a 7.62 weapon. You really don't understand until you've had to carry a weapon and a load of ammo for a good distance. For the military guys, add in the 90+ lbs they have to carry and you REALLY start to understand how much better 5.56 weapons are as far as logistics and physical ease of transport.

That said... I think 6.5 Grendel is the answer (not for shtf, but for my biathlon events). For shtf, 5.56 is king due to commonality of parts and ammo you'd be able to scrounge.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:08:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:52:31 PM EDT
[#36]
thats nice! is that the new small platform from mega or standard sr25 sized?

Barrel length, total weight, velocity?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 3:06:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This is an easy question. * * *
View Quote
This.  Nailed it.

I have weapons in both calibers, and oodles & oodles of ammo to feed them.  No reason to force an "either-or" choice here. Primary go-tos are the 5.56s, with the 308/7.62s for back-up, not to mention reach and penetration.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 3:16:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Living in Liberal South FL, * * * .
View Quote
Rookie mistake right there, dudenal. . You need to vacate that shithole and move directly northwest to the Perdido Key/Pensacola area of the panhandle.  Folks there are God-fearing, Pro-2A, right-thinking, freedom-loving, anti-Hillcrat voters.

Plus, that area actually sees something like a change of seasons.  What's not to like?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top