Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/11/2017 5:56:03 PM EDT
So I took some people shooting last Sunday to the 90 yard rifle range near where I live.
My sister never shot a rifle before but was consistently hitting a 6" metal moving target at 90 yards. She was thrilled and had no idea how much fun it would be.
Her only complaint was that she wished she could shoot at a more fun or interesting target. Something that actually does something. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Tannerite

Or charcoal.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 1:03:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Dueling trees, Texas star or poppers are more fun but having to go down range to reset sucks. Also shooting steel at dusk is quite the spark show and makes it more interesting

I find having multiple silhouette targets at different ranges and not shooting from a bench to be the most fun.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Let her spray paint stuff on the steel.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Get her a pistol, a case of ammo, and a texas star.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 2:00:13 PM EDT
[#5]
We mix it up. Steel plates, paper targets, clay pigeons,  fruit, eggs, whatever really. Mostly clay and steal though. I like to buy rhose cheap spinning targets for 22's and annihilate them with 556.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Tell her to enlist, they'll give her some interesting shit to shoot at. Seriously, I like to weld a plate onto a garage door spring that's about two feet long, that'll bounce and sway all over the place, great for pistol practice.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 2:45:53 PM EDT
[#7]
A buddy of mine bought a bunch of ball type targets that have dips and cuts in them and we go out, throw one down the field, first guy shoots and when you hit it, it becomes very unpredictable on where it is going to go, but the ideas is to get it moving and the 2nd or 3rd shoots trying to predict and lead the target, we try to get it up in the air which you can do if it is hit right and then keep it up for a few seconds.

I was surprised it is actually quite fun and I was surprised it is real durable, we have shot those things a lot and they have not sustained much damage at all!
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Most interesting targets I've fired at were fire extinguishers and propane tanks (do not do what I do)

And I once was shooting at a target somebody left at my local range and it KB'd. Turns out they left an ass load of tannerite in it too, and none of us knew it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 2:55:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Expired canned food.

Best were a bunch of #10 cans of several-years-beyond-use-by-date that I hauled off for a food processing company once.  Kids pulled the labels off and painted zombie faces on all of 'em.  Makes a pretty nice ka-splooey.  Chickens had fun too afterwards picking through it all.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Cans of shaving cream are really fun, you can find Barbasol for real cheap at drug stores.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Balloons, full pop cans, 2 liters, fruits, coyotes, milk jugs full of water....lots of things.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 3:07:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Balloons, full pop cans, 2 liters, fruits, coyotes, milk jugs full of water....lots of things.
View Quote
I don't think you can say fruits.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 3:15:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Just my 2 cents...

I have one of those metal wire frames they put political ads on (Hillary supporter put it in my yard, I shot the sh!t out of that), I also live next to a golf course, so I get LOTS of golf balls. I put a screw in a golf ball and tie fishing line to the screw, the other end is tied to the top of the frame... it moves pretty good and hard to hit at 50 paces.
With the pistols, I put it out about 20 paces, but it's lots of fun. (My paces are large steps, but not accurate)!
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't think you can say fruits.
View Quote
I say a lot of things I shouldn't. Yolo.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 3:25:36 PM EDT
[#15]
If you fill a water or soda bottle 1/4 and cap it. Place it upside down and shoot it in the neck. Most times a precise hit will launch it like a rocket.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 3:26:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Golf balls
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Cans of shaving cream are really fun, you can find Barbasol for real cheap at drug stores.
View Quote
I shot a can of spray foam insulation once.  Years later, the tree it was under was still full of blobs of foam.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 4:34:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Excellent ideas here! Not only my sister, but I have a bunch of friends in college who want me to take them shooting because they've never shot a firearm.  I especially like the barbasol/aerosol cannister ideas as well bottles filled with water.  I think fruit would work well, however, this is a public outdoor range (albeit not a very busy one during the week, when we would likely go) and they probably would not to find rotting food laying about. Targets that are easy to clean up are a plus.  As for the bottles filled with water, I am assuming the caps should be tightly fastened. Wouldn't you want the bottles to be 100% filled with fluid? Why do you want some air inside?  

I want to try the hanging golf balls idea too, but maybe on a day when I just go out by myself and can take my time. I just want my friends to enjoy the experience. My sister said she was surprised by how much fun she had. She really enjoyed the immediate feedback of seeing the metal target spin with each hit.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I say a lot of things I shouldn't. Yolo.
View Quote
Hahaha right on. Yolt at least for me. 1976-2014, 2014-next time
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 6:03:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Hahaha right on. Yolt at least for me. 1976-2014, 2014-next time
View Quote
Good for you, I'm gonna start living my life like I'll live twice now. Time to burn some bridges.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Cans of cheap soda.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:23:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Water bottles, sodas, charcoal, lollypops, neco wafers and old produce re some of my favorite targets.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:41:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Mellow cream pumpkins hanging from strings. Marshmallow peeps stuck on nails
Gumballs.
Any other candy
Charcoal briquettes

I like those cause rain or a hose for easy clean up.  

Don't be one of those that leaves their shit all over
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:44:16 PM EDT
[#24]
1-pound Coleman propane bottles. Pour kerosene on top, light them on fire, wait for the safety valve to fail, and then shoot it for a nice fireball.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:45:22 PM EDT
[#25]
These, they are cheap too
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:51:32 PM EDT
[#26]
rubber duckies full of tanertite
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Fill Solo cups and freeze. The ice chunks fall out and you have less trash to pick up.
Plan ahead, it takes time to freeze them solid.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#28]
For a tougher target hot glue paintballs on fish line . White paper behind helps them show up better when hit.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Good for you, I'm gonna start living my life like I'll live twice now. Time to burn some bridges.
View Quote
Hahahahaha fuck yeah
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Bowing pins. My buddy picked a dozen up from a bowling alley and they didn't even charge him. Stand them on a rack or build two uprights with a rope between them. Hang them from the rope, either with rope around the neck of the pin, or drill eyelets and hang em. Can also hang clay pigeons with clips or just water bottles with food coloring.

Real cheap and easy is paper plates with numbers. Arrange them randomly and then call out a series of 3 or 4 for the shooter.

Check out pistol-training.com for printable target drills. Dot torture is always a favorite.

Texas stars are great but expensive. Same for dueling trees.

They have spring loaded poppers so you don't have to reset. Check MGM. Again, not cheap.

Whatever you shoot, don't be an ass. Clean up after yourself. Food (fruit, juice, canned goods) etc. will bring rodents and not cool to do at ranges. Fine for the desert or something I guess. Don't be that guy that shoots up an old washing machine and leaves it there.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:20:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Who build a 90 yard rifle range?

Do they have a 21 yard bay for pistol shooters?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:17:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Oranges and lemons are really fun to shoot, especially with .22 and 556. I have orange and lemons trees in my back yard so it cost me nothing for targets.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:22:05 PM EDT
[#33]
I like to use organic dynamic swine targets. Only downside to them is that you have to wait for the target to come to you
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:06:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Blocks of ice are fun to shoot.
eta and when you're done there's no trash to pick up.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:08:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Blocks of ice are fun to shoot.
eta and when you're done there's no trash to pick up.
View Quote
Bag of lunch box red apples.  Cheap, reactive, and no cleanup.  If you hit them they vaporize, if you don't they're food.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:44:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Hitting  a popcan in the air three times with the pump shotgun was the trickiest thing I ever did. You need to work up to it staying safe and knowing where the shot is going.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#37]
I actually like these. They last a long time and can be very reactive.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 3:03:34 PM EDT
[#38]
store brand soda bought in bulk although it doesn't seem as cheap as it used to be.  however, when you are shooting 20 cent bullets at them, saving money isn't really a thing anyway.  just use diet, much less sticky.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:07:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
store brand soda bought in bulk although it doesn't seem as cheap as it used to be.  however, when you are shooting 20 cent bullets at them, saving money isn't really a thing anyway.  just use diet, much less sticky.
View Quote
Just be sure to pack out the shot up cans to keep the range clean.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:23:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
A buddy of mine bought a bunch of ball type targets that have dips and cuts in them and we go out, throw one down the field, first guy shoots and when you hit it, it becomes very unpredictable on where it is going to go, but the ideas is to get it moving and the 2nd or 3rd shoots trying to predict and lead the target, we try to get it up in the air which you can do if it is hit right and then keep it up for a few seconds.

I was surprised it is actually quite fun and I was surprised it is real durable, we have shot those things a lot and they have not sustained much damage at all!
View Quote
similar, but not the same: there are little 4-plate jumping jack-looking targets that "walk" when you hit them.  

I just draw a line in the dirt and drop a pair, then I race my buddy to see who can get their target across the line faster
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 4:41:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:22:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Fiction is replete with tales of using "The Most Dangerous Game" as an 'interesting target' - always with the same result at the end.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Fill Solo cups and freeze. The ice chunks fall out and you have less trash to pick up.
Plan ahead, it takes time to freeze them solid.
View Quote
That is an excellent idea.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#44]
I stock up on Peeps after Easter. They melt away after they are shot and are biodegradable.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Sam's Club soda is pretty darned cheap.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 4:38:36 PM EDT
[#46]
To get 100 at my range, I'd have to cross the road.  Same side is 90 yards.

Not a big deal, as it's my road, but still...

Sorry, meant to quote an earlier reply from Fightinghellfish
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:13:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Cheap spray paint cans with fire 
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Fill water balloons with water and coloring. Put them in the freezer overnight. When you shoot them they will sort of sparkle because of the ice. Video it and play back in slo mo.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 2:19:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Coming from somebody that used to be a farmer... blackbirds!  Take out as many of those damn things as you can!!  The last year I raised sunflowers I had a 70 acre field next to some cattail sloughs and those damn birds took about 50% of my yields!  I may not farm anymore but my war on those damned birds continues with an unabated passion!! Another good option is gophers.  When I was a kid, my dad gave me a few lessons on shooting then turned me out with his old .22 Winchester 69A.  He kept the magazine though and would give me one round.  Go out and kill a gopher, bring it back to the barn cats and you get another round of ammo.  Miss, or the gopher gets away, you're done for the day.  I got pretty good at being accurate and patient so they wouldn't get back down the hole when shot!  By the end of that summer, gophers on our land were wiped out and we didn't have to worry about the cattle stepping in a hole and breaking a leg.
But if you're lacking those wonderful targets, I've set old eggs that were well past their prime on a fence post and would shoot them with my .22 rifle. Playing with my Iphone slow motion camera setting, I got some pretty cool videos of those things coming apart.  Not as cool or as helpful as blackbirds or gophers but still satisfying.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:09:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top