User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For the many years I lived in an apartment, I always just locked the door.  For some reason, no one ever broke down my door to steal my one Chinese SKS & my Mosin.
View Quote
Ha!!  I think your Mosin and Chinese SKS are pretty safe... No matter where you go!!  

When I lived in an apartment, in a large urban area, the first thing I did was "smuggle" my guns in without attracting any attention.  Never carried them out, to and from my SUV, since "somebody" is always looking.  Second, in the area ABOVE the closet door, I made a slim gun rack to conceal my Colt AR-15A2, HK-91 and Hungarian AKM.

You can also do this inside of a coat closet as well for more hiding spots... Just make sure that they're high enough for nothing to hang too low to alert a loser, like a sling.

Apartment robberies tend to be "smash and dash" types of theft.  Often by loser who are high on heroin or meth.  Once they see your flat screen TV, play station, Doritos and Mt. Dew soda, your guns are safe!!
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:40:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Heh.  When I used to live in apartment, I'd carry a Rem 870 Youth 20 ga w/ Pachmayr pistol grip & 7 round extension back & forth from the car to the apartment.  Maybe that's why nobody ever broke in.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#3]
If you can, cut a hole just above the baseboard.  Put guns between the studs.  Cover the hole with a large cold air return cover.

This guy might find it but no one else.

[/URL]" />
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Why can't you have a safe?  One of the smaller/lighter ones at least.  It doesn't need to hold 40 guns and weigh 800lbs.  Get one that's only a couple hundred.

Screw it into the wall studs at least. That's an easy repair to the drywall you can do yourself when you move out for less than $10.

There's absolutely no reason not to have a small handgun safe like that.  They're only a foot square or so.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I've moved safes into apts several times.  Get a small one from Dicks if thats all you can afford.  For a while in a third floor apt I had two small safes once my collection grew.  

A dolly and a bedsheet to cover it are all you need unless you have no legs, then you need some help.  When empty they are not hard to move at all on your own.  Stash it at the back of a closet and hang your suit in front of it.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:56:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a safe.  You can do it!!

Two guys with a real dolly (not a box mover, a dolly that you move actual heavy stuff with), can lug around and up stairs a safe that's 200 pounds.

What you what to prevent is 1. door kick in 2. run around looking for things to grab and go 3. out the door in 1 minute.  

Even a cheaper, 100-200 lbs safe will do this.  Burglars usually don't have good tool with them, and they don't want to spend the time.

A safe also protects papers, passports, computers, etc.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ive read here of people using Jobsite boxes. That's what I'd go with.
View Quote
At work we have a job box, it is pretty big and would hold alot of stuff. But you need a place for it. I could see taking a job box, and putting some wood panels on the side and a wood top, to make it look like a "blanket chest". or similarly, put a cushion on top and make it a type of seat.

http://www.amishoutletstore.com/shop/furniture/accents/amish-cedar-blanket-chests/

If you look at this thread, a guy put a job box in his livingroom, covered it with a table cloth, and used it an accent table.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=175344

Also, you could take a modest size stack on gun cabinet, and also put some wood panels on it, and make it into a coffee table type of object. Granted, if they are not bolted down, it could be possible to just walk off with the box, but that is a lot more difficult to do, since it would need 2 people and that would be very visible. I imaging most apartment burglaries are looking for stuff they can carry out that are high value.

ETA: you probably know, but there are companies out there that make furniture and bookshelves that have concealed spaces to hide rifles. They are not really locked, but more like hidden in plain sight. I like the ideas that some guys had about just putting a false back (or bookshelf) inside of a small closet that concealed a rifle storage behind it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:45:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:29:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

At work we have a job box, it is pretty big and would hold alot of stuff. But you need a place for it. I could see taking a job box, and putting some wood panels on the side and a wood top, to make it look like a "blanket chest". or similarly, put a cushion on top and make it a type of seat.
View Quote
You want a laborers box, 24"x30" x60" or smaller if you want to hide it.  Coffee table, kegerator, blanket chest etc.
You also want a knaack , jobox or another brand that have recessed locks that can't be cut. They can be torched out, maybe drilled, but the one padlock I've seen that was drilled didnt open afterwards. I had to burn it out with a torch.

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I am in a similar spot. This thread is relevant to my interests.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:37:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been looking for something exactly like that. Where did you get that pic from?
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:50:30 AM EDT
[#12]
southwest storage solutions has that cage type of gun safe or just Goggle metal gun cage.

I think Sportmans Guide sells one for about $200.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:54:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought my safe from walmart, similar to this one but mine is just a simple key lock. gun safe
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 4:42:32 PM EDT
[#14]
walk in closet - get an old security door from a hotel  surplus auction or lowes put in dead bolt frame & fire proofing under the closet's interior drywall.

A huge walk in gunsafe mine ran me $600 ish.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top