Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2017 6:22:50 PM EDT
A vepr 12 or a 308 battle rifle m1a/PTR?

You already have a collection of pistols, and other rifles like ak and ar and shotguns. But lets say these two options are in the back of the safe and one needs to go. Which do you wanna keep?
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Battle rifle is a must have
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:13:38 PM EDT
[#2]
M1a every day of the week
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:59:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Of those 2, yup
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:32:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Of those 2, yup
View Quote
M1A. Unless I had a pissed off bear outside. Then the shotgun.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:42:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Do I already have other .308 BRs and 12ga. combat shotguns?

Then it gets specific as to what one might be keeping...
If I had a VEPR-12 with the folding stock, I'd want to keep it, but if I had a M1A loaded with GI parts, I'd want to keep that even more. I wouldn't want to keep a PTR that didn't have a paddle mag release.

Rankings also come into play...
VEPR's only competition is Benelli. (Ok some favor Rem VersaMax and Beretta) but really Benelli 
M1A's and PTR's are both outclassed by AR10 type and SCAR 17.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 11:01:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I would love to own a Vepr 12, but I don't.

I DO own a battle rifle in .308. (More than one, if truth be told).

I already made that decision. IMO, I made the right choice.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:07:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:26:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You already have a collection of pistols, and other rifles like ak and ar and shotguns. But lets say these two options are in the back of the safe and one needs to go. Which do you wanna keep?
View Quote

Do I own an actual modern .308 in this scenario like a SCAR 17? If not, I sell both and buy the modern .308.
If I do own a modern .308 I sell the M1A and buy a shotgun.

When it comes to buying a shotgun:
Do I own a Benelli M4 in this scenario? If not, I skip the VEPR 12 and buy it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:10:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd keep the .308 Battle Rifle for sure. I'm not much of a shotgun guy though...
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#11]
A FAL or a SCAR. I have a saiga 12 and an M1a. The mag fed shotgun seems cool at first but then it is just meh. Same with the M1a - hard and expensive to properly mount optics unless you get something like a Socom.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:14:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Twice on Sunday
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 4:51:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Of those: PTR.

Since I already have one and a bunch of FALs, A SCAR 17 would be my choice.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd keep the M1A. You didn't specify I couldn't use the cash the other was sold for, so I'd put the VEPR money into a Sage chassis for the M1A and turn it into a Mk14 clone.

In real life, already have a battle rifle in my Colt 901.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:27:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Keep the M1A!  

I own 1 shotgun, haven't shot it in years...
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 5:55:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Keep the M1A!  
View Quote
Based on the cost of spare parts alone, I'd advise against the M14/M1A. Spares for the G3 or FAL are still plentiful and reasonably-priced.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:54:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I already have a pump combat shotgun, but I'd be very likely to go with the Vepr over the battle rifle. I know, I know, this is heresy, but I have my reasons:

If I'm going to get a big, heavy centerfire rifle, it will be a long-range rig or DMR. I don't see .308 offering any real benefits over 5.56 inside of 200yds. It gives up ammunition capacity, and cannot be fired as quickly. Neither the M1A or PTR are ideal as DMRs (I don't care about the EBR; it is a heavy pig that generally got left in the truck), and I'd rather maintain commonality with my 5.56 ARs, which throws .308 out of the running.

I already have multiple .30-30 leverguns for hunting, which is the other application for a battle rifle. Missouri doesn't have moose; .30-30 is plenty enough for deer and hogs. Shots beyond 200yds are rare in this part of the state anyways, and I don't have the skills/practice/money for long range hunting.

Shotguns are fun, and offer major bang for the buck, especially when tuned to run light birdshot loads. The Vepr would get used quite a bit, the battle rifle would not due to cost of ammunition. I don't need another rifle platform to train on anyways.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top