Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2017 5:02:53 PM EDT
If was wanting something new.

Will I like the tavor?? How is the trigger?  X95
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#1]
They're cool, and the bullpup concept has some neat features and advantages.  It's not yet-another-AR.   For in-home usage, you can manipulate doors and such much easier while keeping it leveled with the main hand.  

Truth be told, most people who try both AUG and Tavor, lean AUG.  I do, and would suggest an AUG over a Tavor - but the Tavor certainly isn't a bad call if that's what excites you.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Tavor is a great rifle; I had a regular tavor (SAR, not X95) for roughly about a year and put about 1500 rounds down range with it. I loved it; it is a bit heavy-ish even with no optics for so much polymer but the balance is great, and the recoil impulse was very smooth IMO. Trigger was atrocious out of box, didn't measure it but probably around 10-11 lbs, but it is what it is; nature of the bullpup design. I removed the second trigger return spring and had ~6.5 pound pull, stagey but very crisp break. I ended up selling it though, because I have so many AR's, along with a whole bin of spare parts, BCGs, etc. and it does the same thing my AR's do. As for the poster above me, to each his own, I prefer the Tavor over the AUG; just the ergonomics, no serious dings against the AUG.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#3]
AUG > X95 > Tavor  
But all three are top shelf firearms
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#4]
The ergos never worked for me with an AUG.  I bought a Tavor SAR 16" a couple years ago.  I really like my Tavor and I use it as my travel gun.  The Tavor really shines in CQB and around vehicles.  I used AR-15's for many years but still like my Tavor.  I'm not selling any of my AR-15's but I have no intention in selling my Tavor.  

The Tavor is not a great weapon for bench shooting and I found the Tavor doesn't benefit a lot from a magnified optic except for target identification.  I replaced the FCG with a Geissele Super Sabra.   The standard trigger reminded me of a Glock pistol with a heavy New York connector and spring.

I actually mounted a 2.5-10X44 scope on my Tavor and used it to shoot prairie dogs.  I had several other rifles I wanted to shoot but thought it would be a good test for the Tavor.   I actually hit a lot more than I missed.  If I remember correctly I was using factory second Sierra 69 grain Match King hand loads.

My Tavor is not as accurate as my AR-15's but more accurate than my old Mini 14.  My Tavor SAR is definitely combat accurate and mine seems to shoot best with 69 grain SMK and 55 grain bullets.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I bbought a x95 having never even held a bullpup. And I find no noticeable difference with the trigger over say a standard ar milspec. The mag release is within trigger finger reach. The bolt release is the only thing that takes some getting used to over a AR.

That said, Ive only fired 30rds from my fde x95 and Im not sure Im gonna keep it. My SBR's do what I need and I think Id like a PTR setup over the x95.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 5:43:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Cdnnsports.com has one left of the SAR 18 inch Tavor black. Selling for 1450, which is a steal because the old style tavor is becoming more rare due to the x95. X95 is supposed to have some improvement, but has a lot of feedback that people prefer the SAR style because of accuracy and weapon balance issues. I held both models in the store and prefer old style because it is different and balances better.

X95 has better trigger and more rails, but is apparently less accurate. Anyways just a tip for a good deal right now. Sar models have gone back up to 1700ish recently because of supply.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AUG > X95 > Tavor  
But all three are top shelf firearms
View Quote
Yes
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:57:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I got an x95 for 1624 shipped to my fl

I know it's less accurate according to internet. I will do the Giselle upgrades if I must.   If I can hit 8 inch plates at 250 or 300 I'm happy. It should go that.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:50:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Dang, would have sold you mine for 1600 shipped probably
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:29:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Shot my buddy's tavor, went looking for one of my own the same weekend at a local gun show.  One shop had one for $2100 (x95) and a used Sar for $1700.

I went to the EE here and showed them a deal for a new x95 for $1590 and told them I'd really prefer to support a local business and if they could get even remotely near that, I'd really like to give them my money.  
I got the typical "WE CAN'T EVEN GET THEM THAT CHEAP!" response, followed up with the "WELL ORDER IT ONLINE THEN!" follow up.

So I did.  Right in front of them.

It's an amazing gun.  Now I look at the collection of ARs I have and think "That one is half of a tavor.  That one is a 9mm conversion kit"
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah the LGS does make it hard to support them when they act like dicks. They should have just left it at we can't get it at that price.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:58:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Everyone I've asked about the Tavor has said it's a neat gun but a AUG is still better. I'm going to end up with a AUG eventually.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I have an 18 inch tavor Sar and a 16 inch aug a3.  Bother have their place and do certain things better. I like both for different reasons
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:24:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Tavor has made bullpups mainstream.  Something the Aug could never do.  Something to think about.  You either love or hate the tavor I guess.  Loved mine.  Ergonomics were excellent.  Shooting offhand is where the tavor is perfection.  I've never shot another rifle that was sooo easy to hit with offhand and you just never get tired holding it up.  All the weight in the back.  I wish I'd kept mine but that same old story about having an abundance of ARs with spare parts so couldn't justify yet another 5.56.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 4:43:49 PM EDT
[#15]
What happened to the 300BLK Tavor??? A few weeks back they were put out press releases that it was shipping in a few weeks. Now there is NOTHING on the IWI website about it or any where else. That is the only one I would be interested in. I am very much looking for a NON AR 300BLK rifle. Slim pickins out there.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:23:25 AM EDT
[#16]
The only complaint I have about my Tavor SAR is that the 60rd pmag is a bit awkward in it. But that's a drum in a bulpup. Other wise it's a awesome rifle. Works well suppressed, and the 45rd pmags I use are tucked in close and seem "just right"
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:13:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Just IMO, but get an AUG instead if you want a bullpup.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 2:52:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a Tavor x95. I got it more as a collection item and for variety. I do think it is a decent rifle, and by all accounts is very reliable. For me, the sight picture with a 1-4x scope is a bit awkward without a spacer to put the AR scope mount a bit higher. The bolt release is also awkward. The trigger on mine is fine for a mil-spec rifle. The mag release on the x95 is located similar to an AR, but not as positive.

I prefer a lightweight AR build with the minimum of accessories. With so much time on an AR and familiarity with the controls, the AR will always be my go-to rifle, even if the Tavor has some advantages. But I'm a collector as much as a shooter, so of course I still like my x95.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top