Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2017 4:07:56 AM EDT
I have a couple 300 H&H rifles and was thinking about adding a 7mm Weatherby Mag to the mix. I like something a little different.

Realistically though am I pretty much just splitting hairs on performance? Some day I might shoot a moose or brown bear (I live in AK).

I'd probably hunt down a Remington 700 Classic.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:45:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a couple 300 H&H rifles and was thinking about adding a 7mm Weatherby Mag to the mix. I like something a little different.

Realistically though am I pretty much just splitting hairs on performance? Some day I might shoot a moose or brown bear (I live in AK).

I'd probably hunt down a Remington 700 Classic.
View Quote

Yes splitting hairs.  7mm would be a bit faster and better at really long range.  but the difference wouldn't be much until you get out past 500 yards.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#2]
The 300 H&H allows for 220gr of perfection at 2700fps. That is perfect brown bear or moose medicine. 200grs at 2825fps... more bullet is more good.

JPK
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 300 H&H allows for 220gr of perfection at 2700fps. That is perfect brown bear or moose medicine. 200grs at 2825fps... more bullet is more good.
View Quote
Plus, a wider diameter bullet. Don't give that up for more speed. It's one thing on lower 48 critters, like a pronghorn at 300-yds, but it's quite a different thing in Alaska on a large bear that's closing in fast from 100yds or on a moose high-tailing away toward a brush thicket or a tree line. The heavier, wider slug should anchor them, unless you fugly the shot.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#4]
The 7mm Weatherby is the least useful of the Weatherby family.  It is not a full magnum length cartridge. If you check a reloading book you will find it is about the same length as the '06 length magnums and has within 50fps the same performance as the 7 Remington Mag.  IF you want a truly fast seven look toward the 7mm STW.   
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:30:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Nosler 28.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:47:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

JPK
View Quote
200 grns of pure Partition goodness.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top