Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2017 5:11:59 PM EDT
Do any of you fellas have any opinions on the quality of this rifle? I've always had a deep appreciation for the 8MM Mauser round, and there are a few of the Remington 700 Classics up for sale around the net. Any information or impressions you guys have on this piece would be greatly appreciated. The jeweled bolt is kinda ghey, but I reckon I could look beyond that if the rifle itself is excellent.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:03:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one in 257 Roberts. Good gun without that bolt lock nonsense.

I put this rifle in a pillar bedded stock and it shot 3/4 inch groups all day. Only problem was ammo selection.

With 8mm you get a very good caliber with good ammo selection.

Get one. Me, I am trying to find one in 7mm to go with my Rutgers in 7 and 6.5mm. If I can stay away from sig 1911's.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I just saw that Tikka also produces an 8MM Mauser rifle, the T3 Hunter.

So the question becomes, would you rather have the Remington or the Tikka, and why?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:36:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just saw that Tikka also produces an 8MM Mauser rifle, the T3 Hunter.

So the question becomes, would you rather have the Remington or the Tikka, and why?
View Quote

Tikka out of the box but the 700 has a huge aftermarket. I also refuse to buy anything new from Remington out of principle.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:41:27 PM EDT
[#4]
1. 8mm is a terrific caliber. Solid killing power without excessive recoil.
2. Reloaders dream, especially with cast lead bullets.
3. If the rifle is an older Remington and in good shape at a fair price go for it.
4. If recent production from Remlin, let it go.
5. In case of item 4, go for the Tikka very fast. Tikkas are VERY nice, high quality arms, and fairly priced.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
1. 8mm is a terrific caliber. Solid killing power without excessive recoil.
2. Reloaders dream, especially with cast lead bullets.
3. If the rifle is an older Remington and in good shape at a fair price go for it.
4. If recent production from Remlin, let it go.
5. In case of item 4, go for the Tikka very fast. Tikkas are VERY nice, high quality arms, and fairly priced.
View Quote

Bah, see...#4 is kinda/sorta the problem. The Rem is a Classic series 700, they only made the 8MM model for one year, 2004. The one I'm looking at on GB is $1200, but NIB. It's just sat unfired for 13 years. The Tikka is NIB also, just happens to be current production. If I remember correctly, 2004 was still Remington's "good" period. The Tikka is about half the price of the Remington, though. I'm torn.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#6]
My buddy uses a 700 classic in 8MM for 90% of his deer hunting. It's a good rifle in a good cartridge.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:03:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Bah, see...#4 is kinda/sorta the problem. The Rem is a Classic series 700, they only made the 8MM model for one year, 2004. The one I'm looking at on GB is $1200, but NIB. It's just sat unfired for 13 years. The Tikka is NIB also, just happens to be current production. If I remember correctly, 2004 was still Remington's "good" period. The Tikka is about half the price of the Remington, though. I'm torn.
View Quote

In this case I would say go for the Tikka, unless you are collecting the entire series of "Classic" Remingtons. I would not pay the premium for just one of the guns...................unless it was a Winchester Model 70 from around 1984-96. It would have to be controlled feed as well. Sound like you have a Tikka in your future. Oh, and use the savings for better glass.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:25:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a NIB 700 Classic in 300 H&H

Love the rifle. I want to buy a second one for a shooter.

Correct answer would be to get both.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:30:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I owned a 700 Classic in 8mm. It was a nice rifle. Not the most accurate 700 I've owned but plenty good for hunting. I bought it 2 years ago like new for $300 from a guy hurting for quick cash. Sold it last year for $750 to a guy at my range who couldn't live without it. I've owned several 700 Classic era rifles & all have been solid.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I remember them having a hard time unloading those and places like CDNN blew out the remaining stock.  They were nice rifles and the timeline works for still being a well made rifle.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:45:54 PM EDT
[#11]
The classic is a very nice rifle.  I have a 7mm Mauser.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:25:36 AM EDT
[#12]
it would be a lot better if the ammo companies would load it to its full potential. both Remington and Winchester load it to 30-30 ballistics, a 170 grain bullet to 22-2300 fps, with the right load it is equal to the 30.06, I guess American ammo manufacturers are afraid of the old 88 commission rifles with the .318 bore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top