Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2017 4:28:35 PM EDT
Feel free to move this if this isn't the right forum.

I took my M&P15-22 out the other day to try out a new scope. I was at 100 yards using CCI Blazer 40g LRN. The wind was 17-26 with gusts to 34. Would the speed of the wind affect shooting this caliber ammunition and how far "off" would the bullet be from where I was aiming.

I was also shooting .223 that day. Ammunition was 55g Wolf Gold. Would the wind speed affect this caliber and how "off" would the bullet be from where I aimed.

I am NOT an expert in ballistics, etc. I'm basically at the level of "bullets for dummies."
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes the wind will have an effect on the bullet. And the direction of the wind will have the most effect. Deal with it all the time where I am where 15-20mph wind is a nice light breeze.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#2]
About how fast does the wind have to be to really effect the bullet?
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 10:57:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Reading the wind is an art.

Wind like that will blow 22lr all over the place at 100yards at least a few inches maybe more. It will move the 223 as well but not nearly as much as the .22lr.

Wind direction is huge as well. Head and tailwinds will have minimal effect at 100 but crosswinds can give you problems.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 7:36:25 PM EDT
[#4]
How far off would you estimate a .223 be in this wind?
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 8:00:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Wind will effect any projectile. The ultimate questions are:

How long is the wind affecting the projectile?
Which direction is the wind blowing?
How fast is the wind?

How long the wind is affecting the projectile is dependent on range and velocity of the projectile. A 5.56 at point blank range won't have any discernible impact, where a .45 at 100 yards will.

The direction and velocity of the wind should be fairly self explanatory, but at real long range the direction and speed can change during the travel path.

Truly adjusting for wind is as much art as science. This is why long-distance shooters log each shot and the applicable information about it.

Read up here:  http://www.millettsights.com/resources/shooting-tips/shooting-in-the-wind/
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 7:18:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I see this chart routinely on the effect of a steady 10mph wind.... it reflects the "o'clock direction of the 10mph breeze and its effect on a right hand twist barrel ( I have no idea the difference between a left hand twist, I suspect it would be negligible with a 22lr and the distance of 100yds. )

Here is a link to a good 90 degree 10mph wind effect article...

http://www.gunsmoke.com/guns/1022/22drift_cross.html

And this one shows how much impact the direction of that 10mph wind can effect the bullet...

http://brtshooterssupply.com.au/storage/Wind%20read%20charts.pdf

You can see.... you really need a fair amount of "Kentucky Windage" if you are shooting in the field...but while benched, and if you can print up a chart, you could adjust for the effects.
View Quote
Thank you for the information. Looks like I have a bit of reading to do.

At what MPH does wind affect a .223 FMJ?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:49:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Any speed of wind will affect any projectile. Again, it's the amount of time exposed to the wind (factors of range and projectile velocity) and the velocity and direction of the wind that will determine how much.

Perhaps you need to actually ask the question you want to ask, which I suspect is something like, "will a 10mph crosswind make my shots land 4" off at 50 yards?"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top