Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2017 5:14:05 PM EDT
hi all, how long or what documentation do i need to purchase a firearm after relocating to another state? Idaho DL needed? I'm not certain how long i'm staying so i have not started to switch my ID's and such.

Moved from Utah to Idaho in October and getting spring fever.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 5:21:06 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as you have acceptable ID for the dealer, you can buy more or less immediately. Don't even need ID if from a private seller and they don't demand it.

ETA: State law probably requires you to have switched your ID within 30-60 days of moving there, so there's that. If you want a handgun from an FFL, you'll need a government issued document (like a municipal utility bill) stating your in-state address, along with your out-of-state picture ID. A long gun, you can still buy even on your out-of-state DL.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Just go get your Idaho license. Its easy and the DMV never has any waiting. I don't think dealers will sell to you. If you're still close to Utah, you can always drive to a dealer there.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#3]
many thanks guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top