Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2017 3:42:18 PM EDT
I always have trouble deciding on a major purchase because my budget normally will only allow one a year. After much thought, I've narrowed the options to a TA31 ACOG for my 11.5" (Noveske SS barrel) and a PTR91. I was really hoping to buy both, but it just isn't possible.

I don't have an optic for the 11.5", currently it just wears KAC micro sights, but I do have an Aimpoint PRO that I suppose I could move from a more budget build.

I also don't have a 308/7.62 rifle, but I do have a small pile of ammo.

If you could only afford one of these, which would you go with?
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Id go with the optic.
In the past, Id say go with the gun... but I feel like were probably safe enough for a few more years that we dont have to worry about it.

Im currently putting attention on optics for a few guns over more guns right now.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Always get another gun.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd take the optic.   Probably get more use out of it than the PTR, unless you have an epiphany and end up solely shooting that.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Get the PTR and try out one of the Primary 2.5/3/5x optics.  They're a nice scope for the money.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Optic
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:10:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't get putting a 4x on an SBR/pistol. The PTR has some cool factor, but never been a draw for me.

Between the two, the PTR makes more sense as the aimpoint seems to be a better match to the (presumably) CQB 11.5".

I might lean towards a stack of ammo (what good are guns if you don't feed them?)  and a class or two.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:55:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like it's split down the middle.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:08:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I use a ta31 on a 12" a decent amount.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:23:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Id go with the optic.
In the past, Id say go with the gun... but I feel like were probably safe enough for a few more years that we dont have to worry about it.

Im currently putting attention on optics for a few guns over more guns right now.
View Quote
Yep, I finally feel comfortable spending money on optics.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:55:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd lean towards the optic, but I have no love for the PTR. I'd rather have a go to rifle completely setup, instead of a gun I'd hardly shoot.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:00:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Get the gun. ACOG's are cool but unless your going to war they are overrated and the fun factor fades fast.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I would love to have the money to try a TA-44.  For me the lower power ACOGs seem more practical.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow i think both are bad choices.

Hk roller delayed 308 suck on many levels and a 4x on a sbr? It is like a fin on a honda accord.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Hk roller delayed 308 suck on many levels and a 4x on a sbr? It is like a fin on a honda accord.
View Quote
4x Acog is pretty useable.  I've got 10x magnification on one of my SBR's and 6x on another.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:52:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

70-year-old bolt guns suck on many levels too, but I have a safe full of 'em.

A sidenote, I had someone suggest to me the PTR and a T1, that may be doable.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:08:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Id go with the optic.

View Quote

Me too.  

You can only shoot one at a time and quality glass should come first.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I say go for the rifle.

There have been plenty of times I regretted not getting a particular gun when they were available and a decent price.  I have never regretted waiting on an optic.

That said, I have four unfinished gun projects.  

(The only time I chose to spend money on an optic before a gun that I wanted was when I knew a particular scope I needed for a clone build was about to go out of production.  I'm happy I didn't wait for that purchase.)
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I say go for the rifle.

There have been plenty of times I regretted not getting a particular gun when they were available and a decent price.  I have never regretted waiting on an optic.

That said, I have four unfinished gun projects.  

(The only time I chose to spend money on an optic before a gun that I wanted was when I knew a particular scope I needed for a clone build was about to go out of production.  I'm happy I didn't wait for that purchase.)
View Quote

I have an XM16E1 clone that has been almost finished since 2012.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top