Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2017 11:26:20 PM EDT
Ruger?  Etc?  It's pretty cool to top off with stripper clips.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:52:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:35:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Can't remember who it was exactly, but I remember someone was modifying some actions to take them.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I thought I heard people getting theirs modified for building an M40 clone.  I'm guessing a good gunsmith could do that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Seen some build on an ishapore smle carbine. But the actions are from around 1968 if you consider that modern.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#5]
M1A
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#6]
You'd need to make one. But it's not that complicated.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:28:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Ask the M24 and M40 clone builders who cuts the stripper clip slots for them. TTBOMK there are several 'smiths who offer this service.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:37:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Why would you want to feed from strippers?

If people are shooting at me I want a fresh mag. I'm not going outside the wire with any ammunition still sitting on a stripper clip.

Making it stripper clip compatible kills good scope positioning, now your stuck pushing weight forward and using long eye relief optics.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:52:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If people are shooting at me I want a fresh mag. I'm not going outside the wire with any ammunition still sitting on a stripper clip.

Making it stripper clip compatible kills good scope positioning, now your stuck pushing weight forward and using long eye relief optics.
View Quote

Rifles with magazines sticking out the bottom don't carry well.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:59:26 AM EDT
[#10]
All you need is a Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk 1.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:59:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Otherwise you could talk a smith into doing it into a commercial rifle.  Actually the Winchester Model 70 came with a stripper clip guide for a while.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:15:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I have always wanted to re-barel a cheap yugo mouser to .270 or 6.5 something and have a small piece of rail weed just infant of the rear sight for a red dot. Don't know of anything that comes like that these days though.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:17:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

You just defined a scout rifle. Read more, post less.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:20:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You just defined a scout rifle. Read more, post less.
View Quote
I know what scout rifles are, they just suck.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:23:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I agree that a scout rifle carry much better without a fixed or detachable box magazine sticking out from the bottom of the stock at what is essentially the balance point of the rifle.

In that regard the Ruger Frontier was IMHO far superior as a scout rifle, compared to the current Ruger GSR.  The Frontier was capable of 10 shot group accuracy of 1.5 to 2.0 MOA and the GSR isn't.

The GSR's box magazine, flash suppressor, weaver rail, very mediocre accuracy and heavy laminate stock add nothing to the scout rifle concept.  I suspect Ruger is just going for more sales based on a more military look, rather than on any practical utility as an actual scout rifle.   Unfortunately, the laminated stock and the detachable box magazine make it over weight for a true scout rifle, even before you add an optic.

----

Back in the day, you could find stripper clip guides for the Rem 700 standard length actions for both .223 and .308/.30-06 stripper clips. These just attached like a scope mount base via the holes for the rear scope mount.

The catch with this approach is that with Remington now using a short (2.800") action for the .308, you can't feed the rounds into the magazine with a stripper clip with this approach.   Instead, you'd have to mill the guide (and clearance of the case) into the receiver bridge over the magazine.

The other issue with a Rem 700 as a scout rifle is the push feed design and the problems this can pose versus a controlled feed design using a Mauser style extractor.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's one thing to "go outside the wire" with a half dozen extra magazines.

It's something else for a single person to carry a rifle all over God's creation where weight matters, and where the carbine is a utility item that will be used primarily for hunting, and secondarily for  self defense.  They also come in very handy as truck guns where the compact size make them easy to store and retrieve.

Now...let me just throw this out there.  Put yourself in a position where you don't anticipate having to fire off an entire combat load of ammunition, and where you will need to carry your rifle or carbine up and down vertical and through rough terrain, and then ask yourself what you'd rather have - a scout rifle with an internal box magazine, or alternatively, a scout rifle with a detachable box magazine that's been lost?  I'm not a big fan of hard to load single shots, which is what you've got when a detachable box magazine goes missing.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's one thing to "go outside the wire" with a half dozen extra magazines.

It's something else for a single person to carry a rifle all over God's creation where weight matters, and where the carbine is a utility item that will be used primarily for hunting, and secondarily for  self defense.  They also come in very handy as truck guns where the compact size make them easy to store and retrieve.

Now...let me just throw this out there.  Put yourself in a position where you don't anticipate having to fire off an entire combat load of ammunition, and where you will need to carry your rifle or carbine up and down vertical and through rough terrain, and then ask yourself what you'd rather have - a scout rifle with an internal box magazine, or alternatively, a scout rifle with a detachable box magazine that's been lost?  I'm not a big fan of hard to load single shots, which is what you've got when a detachable box magazine goes missing.
View Quote
This hinges on one issue - is their an expected threat from humans.

A hunting rifle can do just fine with four rounds top loaded without a stripper.  It can also do just fine with a couple small box mags, or even top load strippers if you don't mind pushing weight forward with your optic or shooting irons. If their is a possibility of being shot at then you need multiple detachable box mags in a semi auto, the extra weight is just fine.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:32:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ruger?  Etc?  It's pretty cool to top off with stripper clips.
View Quote

A Ruger GSR can be fed with stripper clips if you buy the Ruger poly magazines. I dont know if it works with the Magpul option.

Videos:
Magazine out of GSR

Magazine in GSR

Quoted:
I agree that a scout rifle carry much better without a fixed or detachable box magazine sticking out from the bottom of the stock at what is essentially the balance point of the rifle.

In that regard the Ruger Frontier was IMHO far superior as a scout rifle, compared to the current Ruger GSR.  The Frontier was capable of 10 shot group accuracy of 1.5 to 2.0 MOA and the GSR isn't.

The GSR's box magazine, flash suppressor, weaver rail, very mediocre accuracy and heavy laminate stock add nothing to the scout rifle concept.  I suspect Ruger is just going for more sales based on a more military look, rather than on any practical utility as an actual scout rifle.   Unfortunately, the laminated stock and the detachable box magazine make it over weight for a true scout rifle, even before you add an optic.

----

Back in the day, you could find stripper clip guides for the Rem 700 standard length actions for both .223 and .308/.30-06 stripper clips. These just attached like a scope mount base via the holes for the rear scope mount.

The catch with this approach is that with Remington now using a short (2.800") action for the .308, you can't feed the rounds into the magazine with a stripper clip with this approach.   Instead, you'd have to mill the guide (and clearance of the case) into the receiver bridge over the magazine.

The other issue with a Rem 700 as a scout rifle is the push feed design and the problems this can pose versus a controlled feed design using a Mauser style extractor.
View Quote

With what ammo? My GSR's have proven extremely accurate, WAY more accurate than any of my Frontiers have been. My Frontiers have been great rifles but I've yet to see one shoot sub-MOA usually mine were 1.5-1.75MOA but granted I never tried loading for them. I will say they didn't seem to care what I fed them they'd just keep the same accuracy no matter what the ammo used. I had a 7mm-08 Fronter but now I'm down to just one in .308 (blued version) but I've been looking for another stainless Frontier to add to the stable.

Ruger GSR, 5 rounds Remington 175g Match, 100 yards off a pack:

Ruger GSR, 5 rounds 175g SMK handload, 100 yards off a pack:

Ruger GSR, 5 rounds of I dont remember what handload, 100 yards off a pack:

I habitually throw the third round when I shoot for groups. That GSR was not bedded and had no work done to it other than cleaning up the trigger a bit with some fine grit sandpaper.

I keep seeing people worry over a lost magazine and it confuses me. Never in my life have I lost a magazine out of a firearm I was carrying. Not in combat, not training, not hunting not ever. The same GSR that shot the groups posted above was my daily ranch gun for the 3 years I worked there. That rifle was banged around in the back of a truck, bounced around on a 4 wheeler, etc. I once even tossed it off a moving 4 wheeler while chasing cows through the brush (the magazine didn't come out BTW). I dont often use the 10 round magazines, my preference is for the 5 rounders. They fit in a back pocket nicely and so if a magazine does have a problem I just swap it out with my back up. I HAVE had an internal magazine spring go bad before, considerably more trouble to repair than simply swapping out a magazine. The flash hider is certainly not something I need on a bolt gun but a cut down (shortened) flash hider is great for protecting the crown of a barrel. Finally the stock of a Frontier is the same laminate of the GSR they are within ounces of each other the spacer system and longer forend dont add very much weight to the GSR stock.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:28:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Ruger's GSR really doesn't cut it  - in bolt-form  - as a Scout rifle.  I've hefted a few samples at the LGSs. Overly-heavy even before adding an optic, and the detachable mag feature is awkward.  Cooper's long dead anyway, dudenals, so it's high time to think outside the "Scout" box.

Here's a Mini-G Scout in 7.62/.308:

Yeah, it's a tad weighty, but still better than the GSR, and it balances nicely with its 16" barrel and no gaudy detachable mag. Loads fast with 8- or 5-rd en bloc clips that are easily pouched on your belt. Several muzzle devices are possible as add-ons; this one is a genuine T-37 FH. Works as intended with only minimal weight. Optional stock pouch puts 2 loaded clips "on the gun," ready to go.

Fast-handling, semi-auto awesomeness.  Comes with battle-proven military reliability, so you don't need repeated returns to the factory for warranty work. (There's at least one review from a Gunsite SR class indicating that GSR users encountered reliability issues under heavy training use ... Disappointing )

Optics on the Mini-G Scout's forward rail can range from a light T-1/H-1 MRD to the tradition SR LER standard, either a 2.75x Burris or 3x Leupy. But you can still go iron-sights only whenever you want, and those M1 sights are the best ever fielded on any rifle anywhere in the world.

Remember, the elements of Cooper's SR concept were always evolving, and never stagnant, when it came to building real-world rifles. Think outside the box.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:52:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Can't remember who it was exactly, but I remember someone was modifying some actions to take them.
View Quote

Well that's a lot of help.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 8:28:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Part of getting old 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top