User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2017 10:25:57 AM EDT
Something like this:

... with a reticle like this:

... but NOT this:

Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Any prism sight will have a visible reticle, most have the option of illumination.  Several name brands to choose from for 1x prisms.
Be aware that prism sights have optical components that limit your eye box similar to a low power scope.
There is not a good way to have a true reflex or holographic sight without projected light
Then there are options like the Trijicon Reflex for battery-free reflex sights, but they are dependent on tritium and ambient light for illumination.

Leupold prismatic for example:

Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:56:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Vortex has one...Spitfire I think.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:12:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Vortex has one...Spitfire I think.
View Quote

Found this old thread with google. It appears to be what I need. Thanks!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/680350_Vortex_Spitfire_vs_Eotech_and_astigmatism___goodness.html
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out the see all sights.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Intriguing. Have you used one?
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Found this old thread with google. It appears to be what I need. Thanks!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/680350_Vortex_Spitfire_vs_Eotech_and_astigmatism___goodness.html
View Quote

Vortex has everything a guy could need, plus lifetime warranty and amazing customer service. You know what you're getting with them.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 7:37:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:28:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nope.  Just the only option which would come close to what the OP wanted.  I don't see how its possible to make a reflex sight with a fixed crosshair.  I guess if the adjustments were made on the mount, for zeroing, it could work.  But with a traditional reflex you are moving the dot when you zero.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:44:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Nope.  Just the only option which would come close to what the OP wanted.  I don't see how its possible to make a reflex sight with a fixed crosshair.  I guess if the adjustments were made on the mount, for zeroing, it could work.  But with a traditional reflex you are moving the dot when you zero.
View Quote

I've played with them, the downside is that you have to be somewhat aligned with the lens like you would with an optical scope or prism sight (moreso than with a reflex sight) and it obscures the lower half of your target.  I might use one on a shotgun or a close range PCC, but that's probably about it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:14:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I am not so slowly switching all my Eotechs to Leupold prismatics
I really like the Leupold
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm wanting to try a ta44sg-10 acog myself. granted it illuminated via tritium and ambient lite. the reticle isn't as clear as the leupold prismatic without illumination. it also is 1.5x magnification. to some that is bothersome but I can shoot both eyes open with my 1.5-5x leupold on 1.5x with no issues.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:25:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought one last year for my 10/22 plinker. Loved it so much, I bought another for my other .22.  

Bought the tritium pistol version for my HDpistol a few months later, but found it is not as fast to acquire the reticle at extended hand distant. Going to put it on a shotgun after I get new three dots for that pistol.

On a sub 100 yard long gun these things are awesome. Especially for my over forty eyes.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:01:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Vortex Spitfire prism is the only one left in the market for now.  Leupold discontinued the Prismatic.  Burris AR1X is back on the drawing board for a new reticle, supposedly 2017.

I have (had) all 3 and I like the Leupold best, not for its lame illumination but for glass clarity and mounting height.  The Vortex is awesome with its dual color daylight capable illumination, just its mounting height is weird for me, too tall with the spacer and too low without the spacer.  The Burris' original reticle just sux egg big time, it looked good on paper but in reality, the bdc lines are too close together when there is no magnification to be of any good hence it is back on the drawing board after feed backs from 3 gun competitors.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:/...
There is not a good way to have a true reflex or holographic sight without projected light
View Quote

That's not quite true.

During WWII, the USAAF used high grade calcite in reflex sights on M2 machine guns aboard bombers.

It created concentric circles around the point of aim in a reddish purple color, but only when you looked directly through the sight, so it was essentially parallax free and required no electronics or illumination.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:15:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I have two Spitfires and really like them but they are not as fast as a single dot...for me
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 12:33:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's not quite true.

During WWII, the USAAF used high grade calcite in reflex sights on M2 machine guns aboard bombers.

It created concentric circles around the point of aim in a reddish purple color, but only when you looked directly through the sight, so it was essentially parallax free and required no electronics or illumination.
View Quote

The mk3 reflector sight gathered light to illuminate the reticle similar to the daylight illumination on the trigicon reflex.

The smaller Nydar sight reflected a non-illuminated reticle, so it needed ambient light at the shooter to be visible.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:04:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry, I don't recall the model number, but the effect was a concentric ring sight, not a reticle.

The US Navy used calcite for the same purpose in the finder sight along side the Mk 15 gyroscopic sight on the 3"/50 and 5"/38 guns and as an anti-aircraft sight on some 20mm Oerlikon guns.

Brent Finley still makes a concentric ring sight but it's designed for shooting video while skydiving with a helmet mounted camera.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I have 2 Leupold prismatics and 3 Vortex Spitfire 1X's.   I don't think I've ever had to use the illumination on any of them.   The Leupold is only meant for darker conditions and cannot be seen on a clear day.   The Vortex is bright and can be used during daylight if you wish.
I like the Leupolds' shape because it sweeps backwards from the mounting point, letting you get a rear sight underneath much like an ACOG.   The Spitfire 1X is a straight up design and if you try to get a rear sight behind it you might run into eye relief issues.   Most people are short-stocking these days so a majority won't have a problem.
Overall, I like the Leupold better but the Spitfire 1X at around $200 is an amazing deal on a great sight.

*I should have said earlier, my Leupolds have the DCD reticle which is the same style as the Spitfire.   I don't care for the circle plex.   The center MOA dot is too big.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top